The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

I don't know about people...

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Oldsdruid

I don't know about people...

That's what my Uncle Malcolm used to say a lot, and older I get the more I see where he was coming from.

I didn't feel like making supper last night so I figured go out, no big deal. I went to Golden Corral thinking I'd surely find something I liked on the buffet.

Now, I realize all-you-can-eat buffets attract a certain class of people, but when I went in I thought I had fell up in a Honey Boo Boo convention. Long time since I saw that much white trash in one place at one time, and all of it toting plates that really needed sideboards to hold all the food. And loud... you couldn't hear anything over the yeehawing and hollering at kids sit your *** down and shut up afore I smack you acrost the face!

One woman who had to weigh 300 or better stood at the Asian section waiting for bourbon street chicken and when they dumped it in the bowl she scarfed up almost all of it. I never got any.

I know a couple of the servers there and one of them says "looks like a herd of pigs at a trough, don't it?"

I needed a few things at Wal Mart but after that I decided I didn't need them that bad. I don't know if I could have stood GC and Wal Mart the same night.
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:48 AM

I can't stand them [all you can you eat]

I was drug to one once and almost got sick watching overweight mom, dad and 2 kids in bib overalls chowing down on everything in sight only to finish the repast at the ice cream bar

I'm into quality not quantity
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:49 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I don't go to places like that, it encourages over eating. I am diabetic and shouldn't eat that much anyway. Most times I take home half of my dinner.

Larry
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:55 AM

My company services and installs commercial kitchen cooking/refrigeration and dish washing equipment. Seeing the kitchens of these full time buffet places was enough to scare me away for life. I watched a cook once grilling chicken breasts and tossing them into a 5 gallon utility bucket full of nasty water on the floor to prevent them from drying out before being served.
Old July 9th, 2015, 08:57 AM

Ha. We refer to GC as Golden Trough.

Originally Posted by Cman7713
My company services and installs commercial kitchen cooking/refrigeration and dish washing equipment. Seeing the kitchens of these full time buffet places was enough to scare me away for life. I watched a cook once grilling chicken breasts and tossing them into a 5 gallon utility bucket full of nasty water on the floor to prevent them from drying out before being served.
Yep. Have a buddy in food service sales. He calls these places the 'bucket & bag buffets' as much of their food comes pre-prepped in buckets & bags. They just dump it in pans(troughs!) to slop the pigs. He's told me many gruesome stories like Cman's.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Let me tell you, if you ever saw any food manufactured I assure you would never eat it again.
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:23 PM

I can not stand those places but I do go to a local Chinese Buffet because they have a Hibachi and sushi station. The guy makes it all right there while you wait. I would have never even stepped foot in the door until my Son told me of the fresh Sushi and Hibachi can't beat it for $12.00. Just don't look at the other people
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:55 PM

Elephant Herd

If you would like to observe a real parade of elephants then come on down to San Antonio, Texas, having the distinction of being the fattest city within the USA. Particularly, the Golden Corral situated at I 410 and Summit Plaza. Perhaps the underlying situation here lies with a country whose populace is by far the most educated upon the face of the planet, however unfortunate is the absolute dumbest. They will not read or think. Whereby the vast majority have degenerated into know nothings and sissys. They really do think an Attorney must be retained to do their thinking for them. Well folks, in the future, do we become better or worse?
Old July 9th, 2015, 03:02 PM

I remember traveling X-C with a Danish friend. I had gotten sick with the chills and had to stop, so we went to Shoney's somewhere around KY or WV. I wasn't hungry due to being sick but knew I had to eat something. The buffet didn't look good, so I asked if they had any vegetables.

They told me "macaroni salad."

I think I ended up having soup.

When I go to Carlisle, they have a steak joint we usually visit - can't remember the name. The service is great but the food ain't that great (reminds me of Ponderosa, maybe?), but the buffet is full of of America's finest specimens.

Of course, it's always fun to joke about but I know we have fellow hobbyists who may be fighting obesity or other visual health problems - I would hate to make anyone feel bad or ashamed.
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:06 PM

Talking

I'm into quality over quantity too,but a grill full of good food is hard to resist
Old July 10th, 2015, 01:18 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Sadly the UK is following the USA with this deplorable trend.
When I first visited America in the early '90s I went to Dallas State Fair and was fascinated by the sight of 300+lb each Mom and Pop leading 250+lb junior to a bench to trough their way through ostrich drumsticks, a yellow gooey mess I later learned was called a nacho, and a mountain of funnel cake, washed down with a half gallon of soda.
When they had finished their light snack they proceeded to help junior (I guessed his age at 18-20) learn how to smoke a cigar.
However, such sights are now becoming commonplace over here too, all you can eat breakfast buffets and chinese buffets are appearing, no doubt others will follow.
Shame on us all, we are the ones who don't teach our children about proper nutrition, and allow powerful lobbyists from the fast food industry to hold sway. It costs less for Mom to buy the kids a 1/4 pounder with fries than to get something not dripping with fat and refined sugar.
During WW2 Britain had strict food rationing which didn't end completely until the mid '50s for some things. Yet the nation never was healthier, for all its dull blandness everyone got a balanced and adequate diet, and physical exercise was encouraged for all schoolchildren.
The baby boomers are the last generation likely to live longer than their parents, diet is a major factor in this depressing forecast.

Roger.
Old July 10th, 2015, 05:53 AM
Oldsdruid

We refer to GC as Golden Trough
Many here refer to it as Golden Colon.

When I go I tend to hit the salad and vegetable bars, and they usually have roast chicken so I'll go for that too. Try to eat a little bit healthy when I'm there, but if they have meatloaf or ribs on the bar that night I'm done for...

I realize there are people who, thru no fault of their own, fight obesity their whole lives. These aren't the people I'm talking about. I find it disgusting that people weighing 300 lbs will load up at a buffet the way they do, and eat 3 or more high-calorie platefuls plus dessert. Then the way a lot of them are dressed... but , I know AYCE joints attract that class of people. Kinda like Hurst/Olds and TransAMs do once they get in the used car pipeline.

I think I know that steak joint Diego's talking about. I think that's the one near Tractor Supply next to I81. I remember a friend's 60-ish dad went with us one year searching for 1972 Electra parts, and Burness wanted sweet tea and they didn't have it.

We haven't stayed in Carlisle for years, usually opting for Gettysburg or Chambersburg. Less crowded, better hotel rates, and good food. We'll eat at Hoss's pretty often and there's a buffet in Gettysburg that's pretty consistent and has the benefit of a waiter who's also a well-versed Gettysburg battlefield guide. But I've never seen anyone chow down at those the way they do at Colden Corrals.
Old July 10th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Choices. Where to eat, what to eat, how much to eat. If you don't like what you see when you enter, the door out is right behind you. Works for me anyway.
Old July 10th, 2015, 09:14 PM

Golden Corral is complementary to Wal Mart, in my opinion.

I was fat in college and for years afterwords. I was 200 and 6'2" in high school cross country season my senior year. I then, over the next ten years, moved to 300 and 6'4". Went on a diet and exercise on July 19 of 2013. Lowest stable weight was 220, got to that Feb of 14. I've been in the 230s all this year, and although I just ate pizza, I did push a pushmower over my acre tonight for a measured 3 miles.

My solution was to run, to monitor my weight, and to cook a healthy dinner for myself most nights instead of fast food. I am slow, but I ran ten miles in May in a race, and could probably do ten right now if I needed to. I have a dry erase board next to my scale, and tomorrow I will write "7/11 2XX" under the previous entry. I can write about 6 months of data on it, then I wipe it off. The top left entry, "7/19 300" stays on there until it flakes off.
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:59 AM
car nut farmer

We call the "all you can eat" places a Founder House. The wife, son, and I seldom eat out but when we do we don't go to those places. Granted I myself have gained some weight as I have aged but do exercise some self-control when it comes to diet.

It's pretty sad when I see a middle aged couple in Wally World so fat that they are both on scooters. Just a symptom of a bigger problem.

(The opinion expressed in no way represents the views of the management and staff of Classic Oldsmobile.)

Last edited by 71rocket; July 11th, 2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old November 6th, 2019, 09:59 AM

Never heard of Buick having OEM knockoff rims, wire wheels yes, google search turned up nothing. Think you can get aftermarket adapters and put knockoffs on almost any vehicle. Seems like it's possible guy had no clue of what the OP asked and got offended over nothing.
Old November 6th, 2019, 10:55 AM

B U F F E T= Big Ugly Fat F**kers Eat There.. I am guilty I am a B U F F!!
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Never heard of Buick having OEM knockoff rims, wire wheels yes, google search turned up nothing. Think you can get aftermarket adapters and put knockoffs on almost any vehicle. Seems like it's possible guy had no clue of what the OP asked and got offended over nothing.
Somewhere in this post (^^above^^) I suspect there exists a relationship between the Golden Coral & knockoffs from another thread.

People that don't know anything about cars!

Last edited by Vintage Chief; November 6th, 2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old November 6th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
B U F F E T= Big Ugly Fat F**kers Eat There.. I am guilty I am a B U F F!!
Greg - Behave yourself!
Old November 6th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Always room for one more

Ya, I'm a buff, too. If I were short I'd be a fluf.