The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Hurricane Ian

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2022, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Hurricane Ian

My thoughts are with everyone that is affected directly and/or indirectly with this storm.
Old September 29th, 2022, 04:34 PM
Lansing built

Ditto here. Been in contact with a multiple Olds owner 40 mins north of Orlando. Have not heard anything for the last 30 hrs
Old September 29th, 2022, 05:19 PM

If he's north of Orlando, he is probably without power and with yard debris, but otherwise fine. My mom is in Mt. Dora, no power, yard debris; my old man is in Winter Park, has power, lots of flooding but nothing serious other than part of his boat dock broke off and floated away. My brother is in Orlando, has power at one place, and not at another, with lots of debris.

The storm was south of them, so your dude is probably in better shape than mine.
Old September 29th, 2022, 05:22 PM

I've got a buddy down in Ft Myers who described it as a warzone. He's 30 minutes from the beach, and managed to only have minor damage (minor compared to what it could've been) but is currently without power or running water. We were just down on FMB 3 weeks ago, and from what I've seen pretty much most of its gone. The pier is gone, "Times Square", and the house we rented is gone as well.

As much damage thats been done, I'm thankful that the people I know both personally and through others that are down there are safe. Many are saying it's the worst one in decades, and many won't be returning to rebuild.
Old September 29th, 2022, 07:30 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Have been through three direct hits, large hurricanes are absolutely miserable experiences. Had a storm surge similar to this hit me 20 years ago, very sad for those affected, hopefully most, if not all, heeded warnings and are safe.

Old September 29th, 2022, 07:48 PM

Just got off the phone with a buddy Rick down there. He's 40 minutes east of Winterhaven. He's all good other than minor damage.
Old September 29th, 2022, 08:02 PM

Prayers to all who is affected by this monster.
Old September 29th, 2022, 09:08 PM

Family in Punta Gorda reported they evacuated to Venice, then went back to find no house damage, only landscape damage, but no water or electricity.

Other family in Orlando reported no house damage but loss of electricity. Their rain gauge showed 17” overnight. Neighbors helped get their ailing generator running so they can run the refrigerator and box fans. Can’t imagine no AC in that situation.
Old September 30th, 2022, 03:39 AM

My winter home is in Port Charlotte, right next Punta Gorda and i lost all trees and landscaping according to my neighbor who did stay.
3 friend of mine lost their boats that blew off their lifts and are gone. All sheds.....gone. most pool cages.....gone. Most roofs have some damage.
Power will probably take many weeks to get back.
Old September 30th, 2022, 05:09 AM

A close friend has family living there. Thankfully they're ok. Broken piers and homes can be rebuilt. I hope everyone is ok.
Old September 30th, 2022, 06:26 AM

Living in south Louisiana for most of my life I have seen and lived the devastation of major hurricanes. It’s mind boggling and sad. I have never lived close to the coast for a hurricane but friends
and family have and have lost everything. The storm surge is the major impact. Family houses have floated off from the surge. I have seen in person concrete slab houses floated 1/4 mi away. Yes with the concrete slab still attached to the house. Wind is bad but storm surge is horrendous. Heck I still have some leaning trees from Hurricane IDA last year. That south Florida area is so heavily populated it will take a LONG time to recover.

I have made the trek to areas along the coast to help cleanup many times, and probably will again for this one even though it’s a ways away for me. If you are capable and able consider volunteering to help. The site of volunteers helping cleanup, serve food, etc is such a great mental boost for the residents. And it will give you a good sense of satisfaction helping others. A large segment of society don’t like to ask for handouts but will take it if they really need it. Which they do down there

Last edited by Ap6954; September 30th, 2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old September 30th, 2022, 09:57 AM

My uncle's place is a doublewide in Palmetto Palms RV park in the center of this pic and my bosses house is to the left of the word "Cape Coral". Fortunately neither were staying there. My boss's house appears to have sustained minor damage, my uncle doesn't know anything yet.... I'll likely be headed down there in the next few days to try and help fix whatever is left

Last edited by allyolds68; September 30th, 2022 at 10:05 AM.