The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

How are you celebrating the 4th?

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2013 | 05:45 PM

Happy 4th of July everyone!

I'm probably our first member that gets to clebrate since I'm so far east (in Afghanistan).

It's 0500 and I'm watching Two Lane Blacktop. There is supposed to be a special dinner at the DFAC this evening (probably overcooked steaks). I think I can do without the fireworks this year though.
Old July 3rd, 2013 | 06:07 PM
Old School Olds

First off, thanks for your service sir!
A few hours at work, off by noon, barbeque
and beer at some of our friends house and then
onto the lake before dark on the boat for the fireworks
show. It will be a blast. Blow up some talibans for us.
Old July 3rd, 2013 | 08:16 PM
Administrator

X2 on the Thanx!! Hope your steaks are hot and your beer cold.

We have a couple of car shows in the area this weekend, good food, good people, lot's of cars.
Old July 3rd, 2013 | 09:41 PM

The communities of Central Point and Eagle Point have morning parades that are very patriotic and the F15's from Kingsley Air Base usually do a fly over.

Olds64, how long before you can come home?

John
Old July 3rd, 2013 | 10:28 PM
Justin

X3 on your service thank you for all your sacrifice and dedication !!!

Just hiking with the family and hopefully watching the city's fire work show at the end of the hike . we should be able to see the whole valley ! Bad part is hiking down in the dark , but I know the trail pretty well . I usually mountain bike it once a week but been slacking this year cone to think of if
Old July 4th, 2013 | 03:48 PM

Thanks for all the well wishes; however, I'm no longer in the service. I am an Army veteran, but now I'm a U.S. Army Contractor overseas. It's good to be able to continue to serve (in my own way). I still have 4 months before I come home. I should be returning in Dec.
Old July 4th, 2013 | 05:34 PM
Old School Olds

Sounds like a nice Christmas present
for you and your family!
Old July 4th, 2013 | 05:54 PM

Which part of A-stan? I was in Helmand last year, didn't see very many 4th of July celebrations due to OPs.
Old July 4th, 2013 | 06:35 PM

I'm smokin ribs and drinking a few adult beverages. Glad that my loved ones are all in this still great country..
Old July 4th, 2013 | 08:25 PM
Oldsdruid

Most of it was spent catching up on domestic work- some of the grass had been 2 weeks today since being cut and we've had beaucoup rain so I was about to the point of buying a goat. I cut about 2/3 of it Monday, then we've had 4" of rain between then and today, so I ended up cutting all of it again. Some low spots I was literally mowing thru puddles as the ground is so wet it can't soak up any more. Biggest mess of a yard I've cut in years, but I don't have time to rake it so it'll just have to look like hell.

We did get together for some burgers and beers out at my cousin's tonight. Her B&B is uniquely situated- from the upstairs balcony, we can see fireworks in both Danville VA and Roxboro NC. Come Saturday night we'll be able to see the ones from South Boston Speedway. July 4th and fireworks makes me damn proud to be an American.

She had made up a batch of salsa from fresh garden veggies and boy howdy that was good stuff on them burgers!

Last edited by rocketraider; July 4th, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old July 4th, 2013 | 09:27 PM

I just got home from lighting off some 6 inch mortars for our local fireworks show. The biggest i ever did before today was a 3 inch. The 6 inch almost knocks you over from the blast. They plan to mix some 8 inch shells in next years show but I think we are going electronic next year.
Old July 5th, 2013 | 06:49 AM
Administrator

I see your like me, Steve, the oldest of her 3 kids huh.
Old July 5th, 2013 | 07:17 AM

We went over to Juju's twin sister's man-friends house in Sachse for afternoon burgers and beer, then drove over to the Balcony Club in Lakewood for 6 PM beginning of a 3 hour music set by the great Intangibles. They quit at 9, we walked out on the balcony of the Club, and watched a great fireworks show at Lakewood Country Club. All free - sort of. Had to pay for the adult beverages at the BC! Thank God for living in this Great Country. I spent 15 months and 22 days in Karamuersel, Turkey, back in the '60's (courtesy of the USAF) and always said when I got back to the "WORLD" that I would never complain about my lot in life............and basically, haven't............Hope y'all had a Happy and safe 4th of July!!!
Old July 5th, 2013 | 08:14 AM

I went out to Cedar Creek Lake, about 85 miles from me. I left a bit late, as I was watching rain dissipate from the area on radar. The temp was in the mid 80's - unheard of this time in TX!! It felt great. I finally arrived at 9pm.
Coming here has become a tradition on the 4th since I found this one little restaurant called the "Tiki Hut" which is right above the water.
From here you can enjoy a good burger, some beers, live music, as well as watch fireworks!
Fireworks are shot off from all around the lake by cities, communities, and by any individuals willing to pay the prices for them. Some are miles away, some are just a hundred feet away!
The result is a fireworks show that lasts from 9pm to 11pm, with some lasting until 12 or 1. Add that with burgers and beer and you got a heck of a party!

Here is when i arrived - note the fireworks in the background.

They were difficult to photograph as the restaurant itself is in constant motion and long shutter speeds are needed.

The residents all around the restaurant always shoot off a few hundred bucks worth - here are a couple that I just happened to get...

Of course you have the inexperienced ones who do not set them up right.
Some guys at the pier sent a rocket spiraling into the parking lot and landed on the top of a truck. I heard them yelling that they were glad it was not a convertible. Missed this one on film...
I was torn between taking Lady or the Harley, and i am glad I took the bike!

Then there were the misfires.
Several occurred but were somewhat minor. Then there was this artillery shell that I just happened to get on video:

The main launch stage failed and charge 1 occurred in their faces. Charge 1 launched charge 2 right over the restaurant where it resulted in a deafening blow overhead.
Luckily none of them were hurt, but some might need clean underwear.

And then you have the clowns, like this guy who decided to set off a 5 minute smoke bomb on the railing. While the wind was right at the time, it turned and smoked them all out.

Nothing like the smell of burning gunpowder!
The manager came and told him to chuck it in the water, which he did and it kept on smoking!

In the end it was great. Gas - $11. Burgers and beer - $22. Fireworks - $0. No crowd to deal with - priceless.

I left at about 12 and got home at 130. Needless to say I slept well!
Happy Independence Day to all!

Olds64 - I wish the best for you and welcome you back this December. Thank you for your services!!

Originally Posted by ah64pilot

Nice family portrait - this one needs to be on the wall!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5796.jpg (32.6 KB, 30 views)
IMG_5815.jpg (21.4 KB, 31 views)
IMG_5818.jpg (38.1 KB, 30 views)
oops.jpg (55.4 KB, 30 views)
IMG_5835.jpg (27.7 KB, 30 views)
Old July 5th, 2013 | 09:58 AM

I just got home from lighting off some 6 inch mortars for our local fireworks show.
Those kind of mortars I could deal with. I bet it was fun.

BTW, thanks for posting the pics Rob. Maybe next year you, my dad and the family can get together for some 4th of July fun.
Old July 5th, 2013 | 11:01 AM
CQR

I charged up the A/C in the morning, then took the wife out cruising. Before heading to the uncles for some burgers.

IMAG1228.jpg
Old July 5th, 2013 | 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Those kind of mortars I could deal with. I bet it was fun.
lol. Yes, lots of fun but you don't get to watch them. I have a picture of a 6 inch mortar on my phone but I can't figure out how to get it to the computer. The tubes on the left are for the 6 inchers. Most of what we set off were 3 and 4 inch. We used the wrong timed fuse on the grand finally, It was to last a minute but it all went up in about 10 seconds. Other than that it was a great little 18 minute show.

Old July 5th, 2013 | 11:34 AM

I'll be with this crew in the big chair. The guy on the left and the guy sitting in the chair are both about 6' 4" just to give you the scale. 6 cup holders and it's own cooler attached to the side, classic.
Attached Images
DSC00710.JPG (147.4 KB, 4 views)
DSC00716.JPG (147.4 KB, 8 views)
Old July 5th, 2013 | 02:43 PM

figured it out