The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Hey guess what...

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2010, 06:52 PM

Talking Hey guess what...

I got my DRIVERS LICENSE today. My mom got me up at 7:00am to get ready, it takes me a while to get ready in the morning plus i usually dont get up till after 9:00, to be at the Dol for my 8:30 appointment. I was pretty nervous but i ended up passing with 86%, I am so happy. Now all i have to do is get my car ready and drive it.
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM

Congrats!
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
car guy

Nice...Thats one of those days you never forget.
Old July 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM

thanks guys
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by young olds
I got my DRIVERS LICENSE today.
Congratulations. Now a word from a preaching father here. Passing the driver's test does NOT mean that you are an expert driver. It means only that you met the minimum qualifications as set by your state to get a driver's license. In your short time, so far, behind the wheel, you cannot possibly have experienced every type of situation you might come by while driving. You only get better at driving by driving, and that comes only with time behind the wheel.

I have three children, and the youngest is now 21. All three were involved in minor accidents that were their fault in the first couple of years after getting their licenses. My youngest got in an accident that was her fault only six days after getting her license. It was a minor fender-bender with no one injured, but it was a wake-up call.

By far the biggest contributor to accidents for people in your age range is having other people in the car to distract you. Keep your eyes on the road 110% of the time. Your parents are happy to have you be 16 years old. They want to see you be 17, 18, and every age after that for many more years.

Preach mode off. Enjoy driving your Oldsmobile!
Old July 21st, 2010, 05:20 AM

Congrats again!
Passing the first time around is an even better thing.
Need to get that 68 done pretty soon so you can enjoy it!
Be careful and try to avoid the lead foot. Maybe duct tape off 3 barrels of the carb????? hehe...
Old July 21st, 2010, 07:49 AM
car guy

And remember just because you can fit 14 friends in your Delta it does not mean you should
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
And remember just because you can fit 14 friends in your Delta it does not mean you should
...and that's just the front seat!
Old July 21st, 2010, 08:48 AM
Oldsdruid

Congrats on a milestone. Now get the car finished so you can dropjaw everybody with it.

Best advice I can give a new driver? Watch out for the idiot in the other car. And the nicer the car, seems like the more they aim for it.

Seems like anymore I can't go a day where somebody doesn't do something stupid and nearly wreck me. This morning some fool in an Eclipse passed me as I was starting to turn left into the plant entry road. I mean, if you see a vehicle slowing down with turn signal on, that's a pretty good indication it plans to turn, right?

I was almost into the other lane when this damn riced-out Eclipse came zipping by- its driver had to take the shoulder to keep from clipping my front bumper. And then buzzed on down the road like nothing had happened and he hadn't nearly caused a wreck in which he'd have been found at fault.

Eclipse vs. 4WD F150 might have turned ugly, especially after I had beat his *** for being stupid.
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

idiot

stupid

damn

beat his ***
Suddenly I'm wondering. What does our new driver's mother have to worry more about? Her son out driving, or the language he's exposed to here?
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM

thanks guys, and i will do my best, i dont want my car smashed. And atleast try to keep my eyes on the road 110%, i might only be able to do 100%. I might need help with a lead foot problem though.jk
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Passing the driver's test does NOT mean that you are an expert driver.
Are you sure? I coulda swore when she handed me my lisence she said "you are now an expert driver".
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Cutlass Lover

My turn to sound like a preaching mother!!! First, congrats on getting your license! My daughter just got hers a month ago or so. And I preach to her also!! I won't stop. That's what mothers do! I'm sure you're hearing it from your parents too. Just look at all of us as another set of parents! We care.

My daughter says "I know... I know" everytime I tell her something. But she does NOT know. It's hard enough for an experienced adult to make a split second decision when they have to. You kids don't have that experience yet. It will come in time.

There is way more traffic on the roads today than when most of us were starting out driving. Road rage is more common also, as people are in more and more of a hurry and get impatient. They get right up on the back bumper, flash their lights, etc.... You can't get freaked out when this happens. There is so much for you all to learn, so many circumstances you're going to come across.

Just take it slow and easy. And pay attention!! There are so many distractions for you drivers today. CD players, cell phones, too many friends in the car..... Driving is a privilege. You are responsible for your life and the lives of others when you're behind the wheel. That's a big responsibility - don't take it lightly!! You don't have to burn rubber, or speed, or do stupid things to impress your friends. If they tease you, tell them you'd rather be made fun of and be safe, than to have to live with the fact that you hurt someone. Accidents happen. No one sets out to have an accident. And they happen quickly. People will do some really crazy things! Please wear that seat belt and drive safely.... keep both hands on the wheel, and pay attention!!!!
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:09 PM

Are you sure? I coulda swore when she handed me my lisence she said "you are now an expert driver".
Two comments.

1. Ha Ha

2. It's license, not lisence. If you're going to have one, make sure you know how to spell it!!
Old July 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
My turn to sound like a preaching mother!!!
Thanks, Cutlassgal. You sound just fine.
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
Oldsdruid

Suddenly I'm wondering. What does our new driver's mother have to worry more about? Her son out driving, or the language he's exposed to here?

Just imagine what I say about you...

No one ever accused me of being a prude or PC. You don't like the way I say it, tune it out. This board has an ignore function and it won't hurt my feelings at all.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:13 PM

Two comments.

1. Ha Ha

2. It's license, not lisence. If you're going to have one, make sure you know how to spell it!!
oh poop, im not the best speller. haha i'll learn.
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Congrats, my daughter has her permit soon to be licence. I planning on removing some spark plug wires to slow her down. Actually just some contacts so she can't tell.
Larry
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
You don't like the way I say it, tune it out.
I was making a joke. That's what the little smiley means!
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I planning on removing some spark plug wires to slow her down.
I found that putting a brick under the gas pedal works well. Prevents it from being pushed very far down.

my daughter has her permit soon to be licence
License, man license. Not licence, not lisence. If I'm going to yell at "young olds" for getting it wrong, I sure as hell (see rocketraider, I can do it, too!) can't not yell at you, now can I? After all, we must be consistent, and we must all work to set a good example for the youth of America!!!
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:54 PM
71 cutlass convertible

License, man license. Not licence, not lisence. If I'm going to yell at "young olds" for getting it wrong, I sure as hell (see rocketraider, I can do it, too!) can't not yell at you, now can I? After all, we must be consistent, and we must all work to set a good example for the youth of America!!! [/quote]

I know I can't speel . It is why I run a nursery(plants) not nursery(kids)

Larry
Old July 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM
Ben

I remember the day i got mine.. got home with my dad after passing the test. he got out and said i should go for a drive by myself to see how it felt... Immediately went and picked up a buddy at his house and cruised Lake wash BLVD here in kirkland to go look at the girls

---------------

Had my first minor accident 6 months later, in a school parking lot... i was backing up and this girl was weaving around the speed bump coming toward me so i didn't see her and backed right into her. Both at fault, but i still had to pay higher insurance rates for a few years because of it.

1st speeding ticket a year later after 5 days after i got my first v8 powered car... Of course had a car load of friends who egged me on to "get on it" after a stop sign. Cop was hiding behind a tree 1/2 block up.

Both these cases i had other kids in the car with me.

lessons to be passed on... You are on your own out there, and nobody is watching out for you except you- so keep your eyes open and pretend everyone else is out to get you. Then you'll do fine.

Last edited by RAMBOW; July 21st, 2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old July 21st, 2010, 07:15 PM

well even though i cant spell good, questionable. I can listen and read good i'll do my best at keeping everything everybody said in mind while driving. I still havent gone for a drive by myself.
Old July 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Oldsdruid

Hmm, I donno- the Brits have driving licences, and maybe our Canadian friends too! That British orthography thing...

That's why you will often see that I have spelled "ize" as "ise", or "or" as "our"- as in "the whole group criticised my choice of colour for my car, and I called out their honour." I'm not British per se, but my ancestry is mostly British, and one of my Southern groups makes an effort to use the Brit orthography "for Southern cultural distinctiveness".

You and I are cool, Jaunty. I can be a smartass at times too.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:09 AM

I still havent gone for a drive by myself.
So what's still left to do to it before you can drive your Olds?
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:34 AM

get the rear window channel repaired, thats supposed to be done today, and put the window back in, put the seat belts back in, rearview mirrior, and there are some other things i want to put in before i drive it. oh ya i forgot GAS.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:44 AM

oh ya i forgot GAS.
Ouch! I've got a '67 Delta 88 that is supposed to take premium fuel, and that's what I've been putting in. The tank holds 25 gallons, so if I get it down to under 1/4, it can easily be $60 to fill it up. Around here, premium is right around $3.00 per gallon. Regular is about $2.75.

Fortunately, the car isn't a daily driver, so I put gas in what seems like only four or five times a year. That amounts to maybe 1,000 miles per year, give or take, which seems about right for the car. Local car shows and cruise-ins, mostly, is about it for where this car goes.

Do you have a part-time and/or summer job, or is this an allowance-funded activity?

Last edited by jaunty75; July 22nd, 2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
I know I can't speel . It is why I run a nursery(plants) not nursery(kids)
Dude, you're gonna have those plants writing and talking funny...
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM

Ouch! I've got a '67 Delta 88 that is supposed to take premium fuel, and that's what I've been putting in. The tank holds 25 gallons, so if I get it down to under 1/4, it can easily be $60 to fill it up. Around here, premium is right around $3.00 per gallon. Regular is about $2.75.

Fortunately, the car isn't a daily driver, so I put gas in what seems like only four or five times a year. That amounts to maybe 1,000 miles per year, give or take, which seems about right for the car. Local car shows and cruise-ins, mostly, is about it for where this car goes.

Do you have a part-time and/or summer job, or is this an allowance-funded activity?
No its not allowance funded, i do work around the house for free. I do yard work and other around the house jobs for people. It usually pays pretty good, but now that i have a my drivers license i might start looking for a regular part time job.