The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Growing up in the 60's

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2008, 05:05 AM

Smile Growing up in the 60's

At the risk of boring the board to tears, I thought it might be helpful to some of the younger members to try to shed some light on how things were when the wondeful cars were made and how us "kids" viewed them in the sixties.

As is true today, Money was a problem even when gas was cheap. Oldsmobiles we a high end car and Very expensive. The list price for my 69 442 convertible with a/c was over $4,000. Mustangs were very popular IMHO because the base price was around 2K.

Unlike today,when you went to the dealership, most Everything was an option, am/fm, 8- track, a/c, posi, tires, buckets etc.[I believe 69 was the first year a stereo radio was avaliable in a car.]

Some factory options were not considered the "Gold" they are today. Many of us would select to personalize our cars rather than pay for and accept the factory options. In those years even a/c could be added [although with a few potential problems]

In my crowd no self respecting "cool dude" would have a Tic toc Tach and rally pac. We all wanted a big ole, Sun tach strapped to the steering column and a set of S&W gagues handing from under the dash.

I would imagine thousands of sets of SS I, II and III wheels were tossed in favor of the then popular American mags. Once again, Hurst Wheels were around but very expensive. A Hurst 4 speed shifter of course was a necessity in teenage 60's opinions.

Insted of getting a factory 8 Track we'd save up and get some aftermarkert [Like Lear] and install it ourselves and of course cut holes in the kick pannels for speakers.Then you could [bag some more groceries]save up again and purchase a F/M Cartridge that turned your 8 track into an F/M radio.

Mufflers, Why bother when you could go to a hardware store and by a short piece of pipe with a screw on cap and weld a set of "cut outs" into the exhaust before it ever neared the muffler to reduce noise. Drive home nice and quiet, leave home, crawl under car with pipe wrench and Voila LOUD exhaust.

Why waste money on a 69 3 spoke deluxe steering wheel [which today are worth a fortune.] We'd simply buy the leather wrap kits and lace them on our exisitng steering wheels or buy some custom Wood steering Wheel from J.C Whitney.

The long awaited point to this tome is this. When ya buy one of these wondeful cars, it comes with a history that somone [or perhaps many people ] have chosen to make it the way they wanted it to be. Now, it's your turn to either a] return it to origional or b] Do it the way you want to do it. It's your car and your time/money. I won't pass judgement on your purple ersatz H/O as long as you enjoy it.[ at least it's not a "Stang"]

Did we do stupid stuff? Of course, but we had fun with our cars. And I am glad to see the world now has forums like this one to share information and help [the old guys like me] and the younger gents.

Many thanks to all who participate.
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:21 AM

I am still wishing that I was 20 years older just so i could have experienced the muscle car era and the "easier" way of life!
Old June 30th, 2008, 05:26 AM

Great thread!
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:28 AM

"The Easier way of Life"

Yeah I got those cute e-mails with "In the still of the Night" playing in the back ground. Drink'in from a water hose, and catching lightening bugs etc.

But don't forget the Cuban Missle Crisis and the pleasures of knowing Uncle Sam was just waiting to cut your hair "high and tight" and send you to wonderful Vietnam.

I loved the 60's but they [I spose like any era], were far from "perfect."

Actually, I personally have witnessed many casualties[both he's and she's] who for reasons I will never know got so FUBAR on Acid and other crap from the sixties, they might as well be vegetables.

So "Carpe Diem" but as ole Johnny Cash would say, " Lay off the Whiskey and let that cocaine be."
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:23 AM

I don't go back to the sixties as far as driving but in the early eighties I remember seeing many cars in the Want Ad for real cheap. Buick Skylarks and Cutlasses with 455's in them for a couple hundred bucks. They were just "Old Cars" back then. Everyone wanted the turbo 4 cylinders like Dodge Daytona's and Shelby GLH's. At least around here in Northern NJ. 1960's Mustangs were popular though they were the exeption. I remember some cars I sold for practically nothing. Oh well. At least I got to see it.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Of course "In the still of the Night" was a mid 80's song, assuming we are talking about Whitesnake.
That was almost my favorite song. I remember it blasting from an old GM car radio I installed on my souped-up go-cart as I terrorized the city of Richardson... That was about where my gearheadedness began.

The year was 1987. My mom's new Olds CS 4-door was then a year old and she wouldn't let me play any GOOD tapes when i rode with her... "Billy Jean" on the complementary Olds tape was the 'wildest' she would allow.

Ahhh... 1987 - the best year of my life...

NOW, back to the '60s!

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; June 30th, 2008 at 10:07 AM. Reason: c
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM

According to wikipedia the song has been recorded and re recorded by almost everyone [with the possilbe exception of Alvin and the Chipmonks]

Put to prove to you my impressively vast knowledge of 60s' music. Where in the song "Me and Bobby McGee" on an 8 track does it go "click" to change tracks when your listening to Janis Joplin's Pearl?
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM

I graduated from high school in a small town (Bothell, WA) 1964, 1930 thru mid 50 cars were cheap. Paid $90.00 for a 1950 chev coup, traded that along with 450.00 and bought a 1956 chev 2 door hardtop. Made $1.25 an hour working in a greenhouse shoveling S--t. Gas was 39 cents a gallon, spent our time cruising and going to drive in movies. Life was simple in a lot of ways but Vietnam was aways on our minds.
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:59 PM

I started fooling with cars in the early seventies! That was the time to be a teenager! Muscle cars were just used cars back then. But they were barely used and fairly cheap! And there were plenty of base cars that were even cheaper. Need a motor? No problem, buy a 4 door w/ a good motor for $25 - $50.

Gas was around 35 cents. Beer was $8.00 a case for name brands!

Great tread Jamesbo!

Don
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM

That was a heartfelt speach my friend. I graduated high school on the 5th. Had my 18th B-day on the 14th, and enrolled in perry technical institute on the 23rd. So basically I had 3 weeks of summer vacation, what am i upset about now ? not missing vacation, but not being able to afford working on my cutlass. Its a 69 4-door, i rebuilt the engine how I wanted it, and im going to build it how I want it, to take it to the dragstrip lol. Hopefully one of these days I will be able to afford that rearend and roller rockers...
Old June 30th, 2008, 09:11 PM

I graduated from HS in 67 and my favorite centerfold was the 2/67 Cars color photo of the Rund Olds (Detroit delaership) W30. So rare that I thought I'd never find one, but found 2 in 1973, each under $2K. As noted above, just get another engine from the boneyard and build it. . .the beauty of the Olds was that they took a basic 98 Luxury Sedan engine and added goodies (cam, ram air, battery in trunk, Tri Carbs) to go fast. The goodies (rare special parts) didn't blow up or wear out, either, unlike the competition whose special parts were things that blew up, L88, Hemi, etc. A friend put an L88 in his 67 Vette and blew it up when driving at 120 mph. That special 6 qt oil pan dried up because the high vol oil pump was too much for it--spun all the bearings.
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:03 AM

Smile "Mom's Deuce and a Quarter"

When I was in High School [right after the Civil War] in some of the older sections of Atlanta, there were some streets paved with asphalt that had tiny granite gravel visibly protruding. When it rained, these streets were slick as Owl poop on glass.

One spring rainy day, I was driving around [probably to or from The Varsity.] when suddenly somehow, I got my mother’s 67 “Deuce and a Quarter” [Buick Electra 225] crossed up, over corrected and ended up zipping through some guys front yard.

Naturally, I had to pick the guy’s yard that looked after his grass, azaleas, etc. with manicured scissors.

Fish tailing a land yacht like a Deuce and a Quarter with a huge rear bumper up a manicured lawn on a slight incline was a very close equivalent to dropping the front blade on a CAT D-9 and bulldozing this guys prize winning yard. It took 4 bucks in quarters to “wand wash’ the grass and mud out of the rear bumper.

Needless to say, that year, I did not spend my Spring Break at Daytona Beach sipping “Thirst Slackers” and watching the bikini clad “Hard Body” parade. I re-sodded the front yard of a landscape perfectionist and “pushed bushes.”

Actually, considering what I had done, the gentleman was a nice guy.

“Dear ole Dad” however was…………..shall me say,

“Not very pleased”

Lesson 1 Learned- “When laying sod, the Green Side Goes Up”

Lesson 2 Learned- Always check for bondo in the rear quarters.

Teenage stupidity, Torque and wet roads just don't mix well.
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Of course "In the still of the Night" was a mid 80's song, assuming we are talking about Whitesnake...
AAAARRRGGHHH......
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
Senior Moment

Where in the song "Me and Bobby McGee" on an 8 track does it go "click" to change tracks when your listening to Janis Joplin's Pearl?
hmm.. the brain cells that would have that info are long gone, but I think.. during the piano solo.
I remember cruising around in my 66 Mercury Comet with Steve Millers Book of Dreams and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in my Kraco 8 Track Player all the time. If you went top the flea markets you could by pirated 8 tracks with plain labels thayt had type written info, but they were "legit" because they were packaged in cardboard cases and wrapped in plastic....
I backed out of a parking spot at the party hangout and tagged the endura bumper on my buddies 69 goat, not a word was said, I bought him a beer and all was good.. try THAT today.
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:40 AM

Unhappy

[I graduated from HS in 67 and my favorite centerfold was the 2/67 Cars color photo ]

I knew it, I knew it..................someone was gonna mention "centerfolds."

Which bring back a WHOLE different set of memories.

Donna Michelle Playboy 1963-4 The lady would "Make a Freight Train take a dirt Road."

Unfortunately, I understand she has "Gone home to Glory" from Cancer.
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:04 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Of course "In the still of the Night" was a mid 80's song, assuming we are talking about Whitesnake.
That was almost my favorite song. I remember it blasting from an old GM car radio I installed on my souped-up go-cart as I terrorized the city of Richardson... That was about where my gearheadedness began.

The year was 1987. My mom's new Olds CS 4-door was then a year old and she wouldn't let me play any GOOD tapes when i rode with her... "Billy Jean" on the complementary Olds tape was the 'wildest' she would allow.

Ahhh... 1987 - the best year of my life...

NOW, back to the '60s!

"In the still of the Night" was a 1956 recording from The Five Satins and was frequently played in the early 1960's as a "moldy oldie." Every time I hear that version of the song it reminds me of cruising around town in my friends 1932 Ford 5 window coupe powered with a not exactly stock '56 Olds power plant sporting 8 (yeah 8) Stromberg 97 2bbl carburetors on an Offenhauser log manifold. Tranny was a floor shifter out of a 1937 LaSalle. Wasn't a car of any kind that could touch that thing within 50 miles. What a ride!
Old July 2nd, 2008, 04:22 AM

One of my best buds in highschool had a two tone 62 Cutlas with buckets, black and white with grey interior. Although I sure it wasn't a factory option, it also came with a case of ice cold Blue Ribbon in the trunk.

He also was fortunate enough to have a father who owned a radio station here in Atlanta. "Big Daddy" as his father was name for having 2 large twin sons [and probably for being white and owning the only black radio station in town, WAOK] in the 60's had concert tickets galore.

We double dated [now there's a phrase I haven't said in a few decades] to free concerts all over the city. Ray Charles,Otis Redding, The Ramsey Lewis Trio, even Sonny and Cher [when he wore that goofy vest] et al.

But the show of all shows was "James Brown and the Famous Flames" held down on "Sweet" Auburn Ave." at the Royal Peacock.

I have been to hundred's of concert since, but Nothing can compare to the showmanship of James Brown.

"I Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel Good"
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:20 AM
Past Administrator

I remember listening to the same old 8 track over and over again. I was only earning about $3.00/hr at the local Italian Restaurant and could only afford one. Anybody remember Dennis Yost and the Classics IV? "Stormy"? Over and over and over again. Maybe it was my 16 year old brain that couldn't switch tracks, or was it the machine? hmmmmmmm.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:02 AM

Cool

all of that great music channeled through a reverb unit in the trunk. Does amyone remember sock hops in the school gym, dancing on the gym floor in our socks so no damage was done to the gym floor. Drag races late at night on a straight strech of backroad just for bragging rights............beats video games any day
Old July 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM

Reverbs, I had forgtten about those things A friend of mines mom had one in her Grand Prix.

I hate to say it but I remember 4 tracks also.

There's one thing we used to do, that I'm considering starting again.

After buying 3 gallons of gas for about a buck, we would shut off the pump and hold the loop in the hose up over our head to get the pint or so remaining in the hose loop into our gas tank.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
we would shut off the pump and hold the loop in the hose up over our head to get the pint or so remaining in the hose loop into our gas tank.
Does that still work? My ex-ladyfriend claims it does, but I never got more than a few drops out. I am thinking that was an "old day" trick!

Anyone have an 8-track recorder? I do and I used to use it back in the 80's... I still have the tapes, too.

What a cool thread this is...
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:10 AM

[quote=Lady72nRob71;36853]Does that still work? My ex-ladyfriend claims it does, but I never got more than a few drops out. I am thinking that was an "old day" trick!

Lady72nRob 71 I haven’t tried it in about 40 years so I’m really not sure you can do it with the newer pumps.

“Oldsguy $3.00 per hour” Holly Cow…………… you were in “High Cotton”……. I was at $1.25

I can vividly remember the first electric garage door I ever encountered. I was working for an outdoor furniture company delivering metal furniture. Come to think of it, I was working with the same guy whose dad owned the radio station I mentioned earlier.

One day we were making a delivery of some tables and chairs in a newer subdivision. We unwrapped the blanket covering a glass top breakfast room table, took it out of the Ford van, and carried it into the garage and set it down under the open garage door. I nonchalantly strolled through the garage and walked up to the kitchen door and pushed what I thought was the doorbell and all of a sudden the garage door started coming down.

I had not the first clue what was going on, I froze, mouth agape, in awe as if my “desert boots” were welded to the concrete floor. I watched a glass top table worth a month’s wages slowly grow closer to be destroyed by a garage door. My life flashed in front of me, knowing my boss would take it out of my hide and I would be the Indentured Servant of the company for the rest of my life.

Fortunately, the housekeeper came to the door and punched the button, I had mistaken for a doorbell, to stop the descending door in time to save my life.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:37 AM

60's speak

As a want a be writer, I have thoroughly enjoyed this stroll down memory lane. But, I am somewhat hesitate to continue.

Oh what the heck, I’ll give it one more shot before I get banned from my favorite Forum.

Below is a list of totally obsolete nouns from the 60’s. See how many you can remember/know.

Church key

Clam diggers

Record needle

Can Key

Walk in

Sock hop

Colorado Kool-Aid

8 track

Saddle shoes

Curb tray

Service station

Passion Pit

A fall

Wrap around

Soda Fountain

Metal policeman

Smudge pot

Nazarene Flyers

Tri cycle

Juns and Dras
[pronounced Jens and Dress]

Seriously, If ya’ll have had enough just say “calf rope.” [uncle] and I shall retire.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:37 AM

Nuf said !
http://moreoldfortyfives.com/TakeMeBackToTheSixties.htm
Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:42 AM

As a want a be writer, I have thoroughly enjoyed this stroll down memory lane. But, I am somewhat hesitate to continue.

Oh what the heck, I’ll give it one more shot before I get banned from my favorite Forum.

Below is a list of totally obsolete nouns from the 60’s. See how many you can remember/know.

Church key

Clam diggers

Record needle

Can Key

Walk in

Sock hop

Colorado Kool-Aid

8 track

Saddle shoes

Curb tray

Service station

Passion Pit

A fall

Wrap around

Soda Fountain

Metal policeman

Smudge pot

Nazarene Flyers

Tri cycle

Juns and Dras
[pronounced Jens and Dress]

Seriously, If ya’ll have had enough just say “calf rope.” [uncle] and I shall retire.

This is fun takes me way back. I live in Washington State we used to collect money and send a couple of guys to Colorado to Get the "Cool Aid" because we could not buy it in WA. Used to drive to a Town called State Line. Just below the dash on the steering column of my 56 chev was the perfect bottle opener.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM

Gosh, we could start a whole new thread on what people used when they didn't have a church key.

OOOOPS gave an answer away.

I found many 60's seat belts [male end] were handy and they were retractable. Reel them out pop a top and let go and they return out of your way, because back in those days Nobody wore the things.

Actually, Lee Iacocca's book CONVINCED ME and should convience everyone to wear their seat belts. I'm much older and wiser now with a better "imagination."

I believe it was Jean Pierre Sarti who said in Grand Prix [1966]

"The danger? Well, of course. But you are missing a very important point. I think if any of us imagined - really imagined - what it would be like to go into a tree at 150 miles per hour we would probably never get into the cars at all, none of us. So it has always seemed to me that to do something very dangerous requires a certain absence of imagination. "
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:46 PM

Reel them out pop a top and let go and they return out of your way
So thats what those things are for! I guess it goes along with other convenience items of the day, like the tissue dispensers and the rumored electric shaver in some early Chevies...

I am learning a lot on this forum - I love it. I came into the world way too late at '71... (I only knew 9 of the items in the test...)
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
same but different

I have enjoyed this thread. Certainly has evoked some old memories from this 41 year old young'n.

Church key, Curb tray, Soda fountain, yea we USED to use/have these..... there is allways hope that Starbucks will evolve into a soda fountain. Only time will tell.

As they say, what was old, is new again. This is only a small fragment of my wishes for the future. I sit and wonder about things and ideas that worked in the past. I have to ask, why not now....again? Maybe they were before their time? Maybe the fad wore off? Regardless.....what worked then, often still works today. Our fathers and grandfathers had these methods work for them, why not now?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fallen enterprise called the DRIVE IN Lots of great memories, as I'm sure you do to.

Somebody explain ?? Clam diggers?? Hmmm...
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM

wow, i was definatly born in the wrong decade, 79. i never tried the seat belt opener trick, but if you look beside the stero of my 70 theres an old coke a cola bottle opener screwed to the dash.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by don71
I have enjoyed this thread. Certainly has evoked some old memories from this 41 year old young'n.

Church key, Curb tray, Soda fountain, yea we USED to use/have these..... there is allways hope that Starbucks will evolve into a soda fountain. Only time will tell.

As they say, what was old, is new again. This is only a small fragment of my wishes for the future. I sit and wonder about things and ideas that worked in the past. I have to ask, why not now....again? Maybe they were before their time? Maybe the fad wore off? Regardless.....what worked then, often still works today. Our fathers and grandfathers had these methods work for them, why not now?

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fallen enterprise called the DRIVE IN Lots of great memories, as I'm sure you do to.

Somebody explain ?? Clam diggers?? Hmmm...
Are you speaking of the Drive-in burger joint or the Drive-in motion picture joint. Believe it or not there are still quite a few of the old Drive-in theaters still functioning, and every now and then a new one opens. There is hope.......

Sad that now several generations may never have enjoyed a double feature with all the windows fogged up............
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
Are you speaking of the Drive-in burger joint or the Drive-in motion picture joint. Believe it or not there are still quite a few of the old Drive-in theaters still functioning, and every now and then a new one opens. There is hope.......

Sad that now several generations may never have enjoyed a double feature with all the windows fogged up............

Or drive away without hanging up the speaker in a hurry to get to the submarine races. Sure makes a mess when the concrete support rolls over and hits the car next to you...........never happened to me or least not that I would admit to.
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:15 AM

60 speak

"Clam Diggers" are on a return [I think] They are 3/4 length pants. Back when the ark was still drying out, Troy Donahuse wore them on a show called Surf Side 6. Kinda of a take off of 77 Sunset Strip.

I was speaking on a "Drive-in" eating Joint where a car hop brings out your food, hangs the "curb Tray" on your car door/window.

The Varsity in Atlanta is the worlds largest and still going strong..........

"What da ya Have?"

" Gimme 2 naked dogs, a glorified steak, a chili cheese steak, rings, fries, a large PC, a frosted orange and 2 fried pies apple and peach."[Translations can be found at]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Varsity

Everyone knows a Drive in Movie [as opposed to a "Walk-in" movie] is a "Passion Pit"

We thought it was funny to park backwards to make the point we were not particularly interested in the flick.

But I am somewhat suprised, no one has mentioned "smudge pots" Before the days of battery powered everything, there was this thing called an electic cord.

Before there were plastic sawhorses and orange barrels with blinking lights to warn motorist of road construction. [and because electric cords were not long enough] They would line the roadway construction areas with small round black pots that resembled cartoon bombs. They were filled with kerosene and had a wick to light at night.

Gotta go put some poke on de grill. Happy 4th
Old July 4th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Custom 70 Olds???????????

"beside the stero of my 70 theres an old coke a cola bottle opener screwed to the dash"

Hummmmmmm need to check the Olds options.

I looked
C-08 Vinyl roof
C-50 Rear Window defogger
C-60 A/C

I don't see any CC option for dash mounted Coca Cola bottle opener. Must be a custom application or an experimental version.

Heck it might be a valuable "one of one." 70 olds built for Robert W. Woodruff [a.k.a. The Big Cigar] or some other Coke high brass.
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:05 AM

custom olds

it might be a one of a kind. after i get the front end figured out ill have to try the seatbelt option though, leaning down under the dash to crack one open can get pretty interesting on these vt roads
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Didn't have to lean down, just reach under the steering wheel.

Colorado cool aid COORS BEER

sock hop - DANCE IN THE SCHOOL GYM HAD TO TAKE OFF YOU SHOES

metal policeman - PARKING METER

walkin - WALK IN THEATER

how many kids could fit in a 50 merc's trunk , answer 4 (to get into the drive in)

Another one Chevron White pump gas 110 octane, cheap racing fuel
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM

"I knew it, I knew it..................someone was gonna mention "centerfolds."

Which bring back a WHOLE different set of memories."

The 66 W30 looks as good today as it did in the 2/67 centerfold. What about the centerfolds you are thinking about?
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Oldsdruid

We had Amoco White Gas here in the Southeast, again about as high octane as you could get and NO LEAD! Now if they could make high octane unleaded back then, why can't they do it now?

My cousin used to have a fall that reached to her waist in the late 60s. She had dyed her normally dark brown hair platinum blonde and wore frosted white lipstick and nail polish, with go-go boots. The local Ruritan Club sponsored a teen dance at their hall every Saturday night, and she was always there. I remember my Grandma saying "why does Vicki want to dress like a strumpet?" when Vicki got her first mini-skirt.

Robyn and the Hoods, the original house cover band for the Ruritan hall dances, reunited for a show last summer for the first time since 1970. And yes, dammit, I went. I was friends with those guys and hadn't seen two of them since high school. They were all just teenagers themselves then, but were damn good.

Aight Jamesbo- what kind of poke you cookin'? Ribs or loin?
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:12 AM

metal policeman

This is what I was refering to when I listed metal Policeman.They were School Crossing signs, very heavy and difficult to transport to your enemy's yard. [So I am told by some of the "ruff crowd."]

"Aight Jamesbo- what kind of poke you cookin'? Ribs or loin? "

Neither poke shoulders n also chicken. I'z gonna make me up a pot of Brunswick Stew wit some of de chicken n Poke, Den I am gonna slap a chunk of some poke on a piece of lite bread, cover it up with a ladle of Brunswick Stew and Chow Down.

Then, for the sake of nostalgia, go out to the garage and open me up a Colorado Kool Aid with my seat belt.

And say, THANK YOU AMERICA

Where else could a guy like me grow up to have higher morals than a TV evangelist- Like Jimmy Swaggart

And get more " woman lov'in" than a movie star-Like Rock Hudson

Hold it a sec..................I'm gonna go to the garage right now, I get things bass akwards, sometimes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bdf5_2.jpg (6.7 KB, 72 views)
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Memories of the '60s - The Hippie Movement

In July 1966 I bought a brand new metallic blue Oldsmobile F85 2-door hardtop (it was much like a convertible when all the windows were down); in less than 3 years it had 50,000 miles on it -- not only because of all the wide open spaces in Texas, but also because of two trips from Austin TX to San Francisco; in July 1967 my mother and sister rode with me to San Francisco; I had planned on staying there. This was during the height of the hippie movement, the Summer of Love, etc; while I never aspired to be a partaker in what was going on, I did drive through Haight/Ashbury and Golden Gate Park and saw everything that was happening. My mother, sister and I returned to Texas. My husband and I met the end of that same year, and he and I went to San Francisco in the early part of 1969; by that time the only evidence of the hippie era were the dregs of it. We consider ourselves fortunate to have experienced living through those times, including the year 1968, when it seemed that this country was literally falling apart.

Recently there have been numerous TV programs documenting those years, and in each one I look to see if my blue F85 got into the picture, though that doesn't seem to have been the case. One thing can be certain, however; the memories of owning that car symbolize those events and how we went through them relatively unscathed. -- Gus Edwards/Cheryl B. Montoya
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:57 PM

60 speak

Speaking of "Service Stations" where for a buck, you could get 3 gallons of gas, and for FREE they would check your tires, radiator, battery, oil, and clean your windshield. Often you would get a coffee mug, drinking glass, etc. to encourage you to come back to complete your "Set."

Anyone remember "Gas Wars"?

Did you ever have an ESSO Tiger Tail attached to your gas cap or hanging out the gas cap door?

Remember their slogan " Put a Tiger in your tank"?

I think I need a "Tiger Tail" to dress up my 69 Vista gas cap cover/door.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
esso_tiger_on_pump.gif (4.9 KB, 59 views)

Quick Reply: Growing up in the 60's