The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Covid 19 vaccine

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2021, 11:04 AM

Covid 19 vaccine

So here's the deal,
I was on the fence about the Vaccine, I'm not a conspiracy type of guy (although I see merit in some of them theses days) so I didn't buy in to the being chipped Phooey etc... for me I have pretty much returned to a normal life, I go to the store when I want and run my errands as I used to, I mask as requested by the establishments I frequent and I follow the social distancing requirements. I have not sat down to dine in a local restaurant since this mess started and I do miss that I love a good sit down meal at a good restaurant.
I did as much research as I could on both the Moderna and Pfizer vacines and the side effects etc...
I have all the comorbidities and am over 65. my biggest problem is you just don't know who to believe anymore!!
Its hard to wade through all the crap !!
I have three daughters that encouraged and finally persuaded me to get the vaccine.
it was not easy to get a appointment every time I tried no appointments available finally I stumbled on a sight the day that Walgreens started administering the vaccine and was able to get a appointment for the Moderna vaccine.
This post is not to persuade or deter anybody who is considering the vaccine that's your business,
I just thought I would report that at least for me the process was very smooth at Walgreens, I signed up on line, printed the consent form and was in and out in about 1/2 hour, that included the 15 minute wait period after injection for side effects,
I can also report that after first dose (requires 2nd injection in 28 days) there were no side effects except a slightly sore arm.
I guess another one of the factors was I have two different trips coming up that require travel to Wisconsin and Illinois and didn't want any problems if I fly or drive.

Last edited by solly; February 16th, 2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old February 16th, 2021, 11:11 AM

Both my wife and I have had both shots. As you said after the first shot only a slightly sore arm. Wife got her second shot and after about 12 hours she got very sick. Took 24 hours to start feeling normal. My second shot was the same as the first, just a bit of a sore arm. No one knows why the second shot affects people so differently.
Old February 16th, 2021, 11:44 AM
Oldsdruid

It will amaze me if I'm able to get one before late summer. In meantime I take reasonable precautions and time store and restaurant visits to avoid crowds, which hasn't been difficult since I've done that for years.

I said when this mess started I would take reasonable precautions but I would not live in fear. I know people who are terrified to point they have not set foot off their own property since last March and it's affecting their mental health.
Old February 16th, 2021, 12:11 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Over 15 million had their jabs over here. My wife & I (both over 65's) had our first dose last week, we both felt a little drowsy a few hours afterwards, but no other noticeable symptoms. We had the Pfizer vaccine btw.,
It seems the infection rate for the over 70's has had a noticeable decrease since the mass vaccinations started just before Christmas. Most over 70's have been vaccinated. Whether this is because the vaccine is taking effect or for other reasons is too soon to tell, but it offers a bit of hope.

Roger.
Old February 16th, 2021, 12:24 PM
Gary

My wife and I had our first shot about 3 weeks ago and we both had a sore arm for a couple of days. We are waiting for the notification to get our 2nd shot. I had people tell me they were not going to take and I tell them that is their own decision but my wife and I both had decided we were going to take it.
Old February 16th, 2021, 01:44 PM

My father, age 90, has had both shots already. No side-effects whatsoever, not even a sore arm. This was done by the local Wal-Mart pharmacy, which, for some reason, has the vaccine while the local CVS and Walgreens do not.

My mother and aunt, age 90 and 88, have had their first shots with the seconds scheduled for Feb 22. Like my father, neither had any side-effects from the first shot. These were administered at their nursing home.

My wife and I have registered with our state's health department website, but no word yet on when we'll be able to get it. Based on my parents' experience, we have no qualms about getting the shots.
Old February 16th, 2021, 01:50 PM

Israel is a place to look at for encouragement here. The country is way ahead of the rest of the world in getting the population vaccinated. A study of 1 million vaccinated Israelis (the country's population is 9 million) found a 94% drop in symptomatic cases among those 1 million vaccinated, only four severe reactions to the vaccine, and no deaths. Hell, that's a better result than the seasonal flu vaccine. No vaccine in history is perfect.
Old February 16th, 2021, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Israel is a place to look at for encouragement here. The country is way ahead of the rest of the world in getting the population vaccinated. A study of 1 million vaccinated Israelis (the country's population is 9 million) found a 94% drop in symptomatic cases among those 1 million vaccinated, only four severe reactions to the vaccine, and no deaths. Hell, that's a better result than the seasonal flu vaccine. No vaccine in history is perfect.
Any idea which vaccine was used over there?
Old February 16th, 2021, 04:36 PM

Israel is using the Pfizer vaccine. My mother, father, and aunt all received the Moderna vaccine.

Here's more on the Israel situation. This article mentions the study encompassing only about 500,000 people, not the million I mentioned earlier. This article is dated February 11.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hmo-se...ated-israelis/

The 1 million people number came in a later (February 14) update. It's actually 1.2 million people.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...ated-1.9538505
Old February 16th, 2021, 05:52 PM
Lansing built

Being around 50, it may take a while. Which stinks, because from day one I have over 100-300 customers/day that come into my store. Essential worker at an AG/lawn dealer. Puts me in a tier 2b whatever the hell that is?

Pat
Old February 16th, 2021, 08:47 PM

My computer was down during the first opening and I missed my chance for me and my dad(who is 94). So far we have been bumped down waiting list for everyone to get there second shot of the series. Most of my family is involved in the health care business and they are adamite that we get our shots. Besides ever try to get a first date with all this Corvid thing going around.....Tedd
Old February 16th, 2021, 08:54 PM

All I want to say is this,,, Anybody who doesn't get this vaccine is either a fool or has a death wish. The regular flu only makes you sick, this can kill you.
Old February 17th, 2021, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
All I want to say is this,,, Anybody who doesn't get this vaccine is either a fool or has a death wish. The regular flu only makes you sick, this can kill you.
If you're old, yes. If you have serious health issues, yes. Of the 20 or so people that I know that have gotten COVID, all but two were largely asymptomatic. I get that essential workers have the highest exposure rate but I don't get 20-30 year olds receiving a vaccine before 80 year olds. It's just wrong.

My 85 year old mom in CT has had both doses (my sister took care of getting her an appointment). No side effects whatsoever. My 85 year old godmother in RI can't seem to get on a list....

There are too many people over the age of 65 who are most vulnerable and aren't computer savvy that are just getting overlooked. Every school teacher I know has gotten it though, regardless of age....
Old February 17th, 2021, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by edzolz
That's a real nice thing to say. The flu can kill just as easily. I agree with the OP that it is difficult to wade through all the crap the media spews out.
I think it should be up to the individual as to weather they want the shot or not.
Old February 17th, 2021, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
That's a real nice thing to say. The flu can kill just as easily. I agree with the OP that it is difficult to wade through all the crap the media spews out.
I think it should be up to the individual as to weather they want the shot or not.
I would think someone with an accredited "MD" after their name would mean something. Those credible sources quoted by news media should guides or the CDC. How has hydroxychloroquine or bleach worked in this pandemic ? It IS up to the individual whether they get to anti-virus shot.
Old February 17th, 2021, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
I would think someone with an accredited "MD" after their name would mean something. Those credible sources quoted by news media should guides or the CDC. How has hydroxychloroquine or bleach worked in this pandemic ? It IS up to the individual whether they get to anti-virus shot.
I don't think calling people fools or having a death wish is very smart. I'm no doctor by any stretch of the imagination. As for the Bleach comment where is your god given gift of common sense?.
Old February 17th, 2021, 07:21 AM

every time i got a flu shot i ended up with the flu. dont know if im getting it or not,seemed kind of rushed to get it out. i got my pneumonia shot and all is well. i dont consider myself a fool or having a death wish. considering it cautious
Old February 17th, 2021, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
every time i got a flu shot i ended up with the flu. dont know if im getting it or not,seemed kind of rushed to get it out. i got my pneumonia shot and all is well. i dont consider myself a fool or having a death wish. considering it cautious
^^^^this^^^^
Old February 17th, 2021, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
I don't think calling people fools or having a death wish is very smart. I'm no doctor by any stretch of the imagination. As for the Bleach comment where is your god given gift of common sense?.
I never called anyone a fool or wished anyone death. The "bleach comment" was to point out that people without medical degrees or credentials are not good sources of information. And God has no bearing on this.
Old February 17th, 2021, 07:58 AM

When I'm eligible, I'll get the vaccine. I don't want the virus, but being only 49, and in reasonably good health for a type 2 diabetic (well controlled by diet and medication), I am not terrified of the virus. I go wherever I want, stores or restaurants, recently traveled, and I wear the pain in the *** mask. I can't wait until all this is over, IF our media let it be over. They just LOVE to hype it all up, and politicians (including the famous Dr. Fauci) love to promote themselves on TV, contradicting themselves repeatedly with perfectly straight faces.
Old February 17th, 2021, 08:21 AM

He should change his name to Dr. Flakey. another T.V. time Bozo.
Old February 17th, 2021, 08:28 AM

Without getting too much into it, it is a perfectly valid stance to doubt the sincerity of world health organizations who support depopulation to save the planet, and it is a perfectly valid stance to doubt the scientific rigor to which an experimental, rushed vaccine was subjected before release. I am concerned that mandatory vaccination will be required by governments, businesses, employers, and society, all of whom are comprised of people of questionable motivation and/or intelligence.
Old February 17th, 2021, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
My computer was down during the first opening and I missed my chance for me and my dad(who is 94). So far we have been bumped down waiting list for everyone to get there second shot of the series.
Neither of these make any sense.

Taking the second one first. You say you have been bumped down the waiting list to get your SECOND shot? This does not happen, and if any medical facility administering the shots is doing this, they're violating the correct protocol for delivering the vaccine.

The second shot cannot be put off indefinitely after getting the first one. This is the way the vaccine works. When you get the FIRST shot, you are automatically given an appointment for when to return for the second shot. It doesn't require signing up on any website. This is they way it worked for all of my relatives who have been vaccinated. They don't ASK you when you want to come back for the second shot, they TELL you the date and time you WILL come back. This is to make sure the second shot is received the correct amount of time after the first shot.

Regarding your computer being down, that should have nothing to do with priority. Your father, like mine, is in his 90s. That puts him at the TOP of any priority list that exists, and he should go to the top of that list the moment he's registered. A few days this way or that on getting registered should make no difference.

Don't wait for them to come to you with regard to your father. Call your local health department. Call your state health department. Check with local drug stores. Check with your father's regular doctor. My sister was doing this for our father last December before he had even moved into the nursing home late that month, and she was surprised to discover that the local Walmart pharmacy was taking appointments for anyone over the age of 75. She was able to get an appointment for my father THE NEXT DAY, which turned out to be December 31. They automatically scheduled him for the second shot on February 2nd, and he has had that as well.

As I said earlier, I don't know why Walmart has the vaccine while CVS and Walgreens don't, but they did and they do. But none of this would have happened if we had just sat back and waited for the state to tell us that my father could get vaccinated. It happened because my sister stayed on top of the situation, checking with drug stores, etc. on a daily basis.
Old February 17th, 2021, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Neither of these make any sense.
Every state is different. NY had a pandemic plan in place before any of this hit that had the county's taking the lead. The governor ignored it and gave the hospitals the lead and since some counties don't even have hospitals it's all a mess. The governor felt that minorities weren't getting their fair share so they started "pop-up' clinics in poor urban areas so, presumably, the poor would be more fairly represented....only the word gets out and pretty soon all the people that were showing up were wealthy suburbanites....

MA even put a plan in place that allowed anyone that brought a senior over 75 to get a shot too. You can thank their dumbass governor for that stupid idea too.

If they just did it fairly with the oldest going first and others with serious health issues at the same time it would have been so much more manageable.

You'd think after nine months of waiting for a vaccine there would be reasonable plans in place to distribute it.
Old February 17th, 2021, 10:32 AM

There are two main reasons for Covid spread:
1. How dense the population is.
2. How dense the population is.
Old February 17th, 2021, 10:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

"Taking the second one first. You say you have been bumped down the waiting list to get your SECOND shot? This does not happen, and if any medical facility administering the shots is doing this, they're violating the correct protocol for delivering the vaccine."

That is not what Tedd said. This is what he said.
"So far we have been bumped down waiting list for everyone to get there second shot of the series."

What he is saying is that he and his father are getting bumped down the list for getting their first shot by people getting on the list to get their second shot.

That is how I read it. Tedd correct me if I am wrong.
Old February 17th, 2021, 11:01 AM

For what its worth,
I just picked up a prescription at FRY'S ( Those are Kroger stores in AZ.) and they were doing Covid 19 vaccines that should mean that the Kroger family of pharmacies are doing them. Kroger, King Soopers, Ralphs, City Market, Dillons, Fred Meyer, Food for less, Smiths, Bakers, Jay C's, Gerbes, and QFC if you have one of these in your area you may want to check with them in addition to Walgreens, CVS and Walmart pharmacies.
Old February 17th, 2021, 11:18 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by redoldsman
"Taking the second one first. You say you have been bumped down the waiting list to get your SECOND shot? This does not happen, and if any medical facility administering the shots is doing this, they're violating the correct protocol for delivering the vaccine."
That is not what Tedd said. This is what he said.
"So far we have been bumped down waiting list for everyone to get there second shot of the series."
What he is saying is that he and his father are getting bumped down the list for getting their first shot by people getting on the list to get their second shot.
That is how I read it. Tedd correct me if I am wrong.
That's how I read it, as well.
Old February 17th, 2021, 12:01 PM
Vincit qui se vincit

Heard at Walmart last week:

“I’m not gettin’ that corbid vaccine, them docters and science types don’t know anythin’ bout nuthin”

Then this surely very pleasant, intelligent, and learned man (in a confederate flag T-shirt) reminded his friend that the world is flat.

Old February 18th, 2021, 09:15 AM

We were bumped down the list because the limited amount of vaccine aviable was being used up for the people getting their second shot, they were given priority over us because of the need to get the second shot within the allotted time. Butte County has ran out of vaccine or has a very limited amount and they are not taking any new appointments at this time. We both qualify for the early appointments for ether age or health reasons but their appointment web site is closed....Sigh... Now Jaunty please unwind your panties as I think you have a extra wad in them today..... Tedd
Old February 18th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

Kudos to this 90 year old woman in Seattle!

Old February 18th, 2021, 09:28 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by vCode442
Kudos to this 90 year old woman in Seattle!
GREAT story!
Old February 18th, 2021, 10:35 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by vCode442
(in a confederate flag T-shirt)
WTF does that have to do with anything?

I'm known to wear Confederate-themed clothing as a lineal descendant of 15 Confederate soldiers- not one of whom ever owned a plantation, much less another human being.

I also do not shop at Walmart, nor do I dismiss proven science. I hold a BSCivE and two associate's degrees in other fields. I read accurate scholarly WNA history, not this pap the government and media promote. Were it up to me anyone who cannot prove Confederate descent would be barred from using its symbols.

So again WTF does that have to do with anything. Enough with stereotypes.

Sorry for the hijack. Closed and back to topic.
Old February 18th, 2021, 11:13 AM
Vincit qui se vincit

No disrespect intended RT, was just describing the situation. Perhaps I could’ve gone into more detail, but regardless there was no designed inference or judgment, lest I be judged.
To each his own, right?
Old February 18th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
WTF does that have to do with anything?

I'm known to wear Confederate-themed clothing as a lineal descendant of 15 Confederate soldiers- not one of whom ever owned a plantation, much less another human being.

I also do not shop at Walmart, nor do I dismiss proven science. I hold a BSCivE and two associate's degrees in other fields. I read accurate scholarly WNA history, not this pap the government and media promote. Were it up to me anyone who cannot prove Confederate descent would be barred from using its symbols.

So again WTF does that have to do with anything. Enough with stereotypes.

Sorry for the hijack. Closed and back to topic.
I've had guys bash me for my little avatar. It was put on as a joke but some are butthurt,so it stays.
Old February 18th, 2021, 01:37 PM
Gary

I see every source calling this a vaccine. However, by (previously) accepted definition, a vaccine prevents the targeted illness.

This creation is accurately called gene therapy.

It does not prevent illness, but lessens symptoms. That means that after your shots, you can still infect other people.

Just a word of caution to you all that this is not a panacea. If you get your shots, you still need to be careful around vulnerable people.
Old February 18th, 2021, 02:45 PM

My family will not be getting it. I could care less if I get the shot. My wife is dead set against it for her and the kids so I will just go with that. I keep a distance from people the best I can and keep my hands washed and out of my face, other than that I live my life and avoid places where a mask is required. Most places around me do not require them.
Old February 18th, 2021, 03:38 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by VC455
I see every source calling this a vaccine. However, by (previously) accepted definition, a vaccine prevents the targeted illness.
This creation is accurately called gene therapy.
It does not prevent illness, but lessens symptoms. That means that after your shots, you can still infect other people.
Just a word of caution to you all that this is not a panacea. If you get your shots, you still need to be careful around vulnerable people.
A word of caution here. A vaccine DOES NOT prevent illness. An injected vaccine facilitates the ability of your immune system to develop antibodies to a known antigen. That is the singular purpose of a vaccine. That is the sole purpose.
I believe what you are attempting to say by suggesting "this creation is accurately called gene therapy" is simply to suggest the two vaccines (Moderna & Pfizer) currently approved for emergency authorization have been developed via mRNA recombinant gene technology.

It's a very tough mouthful for most to accommodate. Since most folks understandably grew up under the auspices that certain vaccines have prevented certain diseases i.e. polio (poliomyelitis) vaccine. But, make absolutely and unequivocally no mistake about it. A vaccine performs one function and one function ONLY - to facilitate the ability of your immune system to form antibodies to a foreign entity (epitope, antigen, pathogen, etc.). There are three known variants of the polio virus (Type I, II & III) and there were three vaccines rolled into one one vaccine as we became better acquainted with our understanding of the polio virus.

The development of the polio vaccine (as an example) and the ability to prevent polio is best understood to have prevented polio because poliomyelitis has enormously fewer variants (three wild-type polio viruses (variants) have ever been identified) i.e. three known serotypes. There are currently well over 45 known variants of SARS-CoV-2; and, that only includes SARS-CoV-2 - there are literally thousands of variants of coronaviruses in general.

Finally, the very first vaccine developed against smallpox (by Edward Jenner, 1791) would have been considered a non-gene therapy vaccine, since Jenner was unaware of DNA/RNA until Watson & Crick discovered DNA in 1952. Even the early Sabin & Salk vaccines can be considered non-gene therapy vaccines against smallpox (cowpox), but at the time when both Sabin & Salk developed both live and killed smallpox vaccines, we were actually validating the genetic mechanisms by which these two vaccines (live & killed) were operating (as the result of both Watson's & Crick's revolutionary breakthroughs in DNA discovery). There have ever only been two identified strains of the human smallpox virus: Variola major and Variola minor (there are, in fact, other strains of smallpox which invade other animals e.g. mollusks, monkeys & several others). Therefore, the ability of a vaccine to eradicate both polio and smallpox has everything to do with the EXTREMELY low number of variants in both of these viruses.

So, in a nutshell you're "kinda" "sorta" close but make no mistake about it, there is one and only one singular purpose of a vaccine: To facilitate the ability of the immune system to develop antibodies to a foreign entity.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 18th, 2021 at 06:04 PM. Reason: sp
Old February 19th, 2021, 06:55 PM

Interesting new findings on Covid vaccines,
Researchers in Canada are finding that the Pfizer vaccine may be as much as 90% effective after just 1 dose researchers in Israel with similar findings, they are also finding the same with the Moderna vaccine .
This is not to state the second vaccine or booster should not be administered at all ,what they seem to be suggesting is with effective rate of
90% after just 1 vaccine that administering just 1 would free up huge amounts of both vaccines and ease the shortage making the vaccine more available to the population that has had a hard time being vaccinated. not having the second vaccine would allow manufactures to catch up.
What their not sure of is the Duration of the vaccine, will it be effective for the same amount of time with out the booster ?
I guess we will see, interesting to see what comes next.
Old February 19th, 2021, 07:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by solly
Interesting new findings on Covid vaccines,
Researchers in Canada are finding that the Pfizer vaccine may be as much as 90% effective after just 1 dose researchers in Israel with similar findings, they are also finding the same with the Moderna vaccine .
This is not to state the second vaccine or booster should not be administered at all ,what they seem to be suggesting is with effective rate of
90% after just 1 vaccine that administering just 1 would free up huge amounts of both vaccines and ease the shortage making the vaccine more available to the population that has had a hard time being vaccinated. not having the second vaccine would allow manufactures to catch up.
What their not sure of is the Duration of the vaccine, will it be effective for the same amount of time with out the booster ?
I guess we will see, interesting to see what comes next.
It really isn't new findings - it's really a matter of the news outlets who publish news. If you'll recall here in the United States this was brought up several weeks ago when a debate ensued regarding getting more Americans vaccinated with a single dose rather two doses so that more could be inoculated sooner. In effect resulting in more vaccinated with a single dose and removing "reserved" stocks of the second dose. That information and idea was quickly squashed.

Quick Reply: Covid 19 vaccine