The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Considering Trading in the Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Bubba..you are in your own world.
As are you buddy...as are you.
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:58 AM

This is a "going no where" conversation I'm outta here
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:09 AM

Bubba..you are in your own world.
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
ONLY new to the forum...not Oldsmobiles...not muscle cars.
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Ben

SO in summary...

* Nobody here thinks trading a 72 cutlass S for a 79 lincoln is a good idea
* Few people (anywhere) agree on what defines "musclecar"

and so to finnaly sum up this thread...

Old September 9th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Rambow, you're just mean.
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Ben

Rambow, you're just mean.
wait... what were we talking about again?
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
SO in summary...

* Nobody here thinks trading a 72 cutlass S for a 79 lincoln is a good idea
* Few people (anywhere) agree on what defines "musclecar"

and so to finnaly sum up this thread...

Old September 11th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobum
LOOK IT- I am 25, not much older than you. Listen very carefully- Maybe your car does put out only 190 hp stock- though I believe that number is wrong, but there is something you need to understand. For most intents and purposes horsepower doesn't mean ****. Horsepower is what the parts jockeys at autozone bs about when they are not telling me that my olds is the same thing as a chevy. Its TORQUE which matters, which your 350 makes INSANE amounts of, as in more than 1 ft/lb per cubic inch!

Assuming your car is for the most part mechanically sound- in a weekend, with maybe $500, I could embarass your Hyundai. If you've got a sound motor, its very easy to make power. 3 things will help IMMENSELY:

1. intake
2. cam
3. exhaust
I already have one of the best intakes on the market, the Edelbrock Performer RPM and a matching carb, as stated a couple times already. With a custom true duel exhuast.

And lose the investment argument. You just spent $35,000 on a car that is now only worth $20,000, if you want to talk about a bad investment.

If it bums you out, sell the car. Don't be surprised when you encounter the car again and it hands you your *** on the street. Your Hyundai is great what you bought it for, but it will be gone long before that cutlass will.

Do me a favor and do 1 thing before you do anything- Check the timing. if its too retarded it will make the car run like a dog. I think if you do the tune up you'll wind up keeping it
I may have spent a lot of the Hyundai, but it guaranteed for ten years. 10 years! That’s a long time. To me, the peace of mind is worth it. I would be surprised if it ever hands my *** to me on the street, considering the simple upgrades (gears in the rear, intake, carb, exhaust, etc.) are already done. Only the more “in-depth” upgrades are left. Most people would not waste any more time/money on a “worthless” car, except for a Oldsmobile enthusiast. Maybe I have a different idea of “performance” than most. My Hyundai, with the reflash tune, the exhaust, the intake, etc, is probably closer to 360hp, and it currently faster than a stock 370z at the moment. Most people think a 370z is a "race car". And I think I’m done with mods.

Lastly, I did tune it up, there was no real difference, except it idles a little bit smoother. I played/adjusted the carb with my father a bit too. No real performance gains. Going to check the timing at some point soon. Maybe later on today. Didn't I already post this?

For the record.....
A Cutlass isn't a muscle car in stock trim. The weak motor is why.....

High Performance was the bigger part of the Muscle Car description.
Cutlasses were not factory high performance cars. W-31's and 442's were.
They most definitely can be made INTO a muscle car though.....as many vehicles can be.

Today you'll find way more 442's and Chevelle SS's on the streets IMO then even GM produced.
Clones are abundant with more powerful engines galore in them.

As for the modern cars being muscle cars, yes they are.....in fact even moreso.
The only reason the "Muscle Car" term died for so long was because of emissions.
Today's V8 performance cars are most definitely the new muscle car generation reborn even more powerful.

Just my .92
I agree with everything you stated here. A New Camaro SS in stock form will wipe the floor with any stock production “performance car” from the 60’s and 70’s. I also agree that there are more 442’s and Chevelle SS’s on the road today than built.

Originally Posted by Willidog
As I said, do what you want but I would keep it for a little while and see if you still feel the same in 6 months or a year. I've heard too many stories from guys saying "I wish I would have never sold that car!" Good luck. I like the look of your car by the way.
Thats one thing I've been thinking about a lot. I hear many stories about cars people wish they still had. My cutlass when I bought it was the nicest ones for sale in a 100 mile radius. No rust, no "problems". The other cutlasses in the area for sale are "projects" and really need a lot of work. Thank you for the compliment on the car. J

Originally Posted by sicky olds
Back to what jpc647 was saying and asking about lol: If you are so mechanically savvy why cant you do a motor rebuild yourself? why pay someone this 4k or whatever to rebuild it when you are perfectly capable yourself? Sh*t i just started working on cars maybe a lil over a year and a half and me and a buddy rebuilt my 455 in my garage! I spent about 1500 bucks to do it, and that is with a brand new carb, exhaust system and headers.
Well, because I know nothing about rebuilding a motor. The engine runs, it doesn’t smoke, etc, what happens if I tear it apart, try to rebuilt it myself, and I screw something up and ruin the block. Or ruin whatever I rebuilt. Then I’m stuck trying it again, or then paying someone to fix it.

[QUOTE=sicky olds;320122]Back What i personally am reading and interpreting here is that you thought you could flip an old school car and use it as an investment, WRONG way to go there without putting research into it, even then you will rarely make money on such a thing. Wake up smell the coffee and either spruce up this car you have and enjoy it or sell it to someone who will. Which btw if the car is worth nill to you i will happily give you 1k for it and you can ship it to me and i will show you what that lil cutlass can do with the same motor and not dropping more than lets say 3k in parts. and that is highballing it IMHO.

Really, you’ll give me $1,000 for it!? What a pal. See, if you bought it for 1,000 it’d be worth doing whatever you wanted to it. If I paid $1,000 for it it’d think the same thing. But I paid what it’s worth, if you did the same thing, you wouldn't have the same idea.

And since other people mentioned it i will also. With me being 27 and with the girls, which i have no clue why that got thrown into this thread to begin with, i know PLENTY of women (anywhere from 19-30 mind you) that would prefer an old school muscle to anything new... They are just pure SEX!!!! that is all on that one.
Clearly there are regional differences between Massachusetts and Texas.

So all in all sell the damn thing since you clearly wont enjoy it and go buy something you will enjoy and probably dump the same or maybe even more money into a car that you wont be able to flip for profit.....
I’m not looking to flip old cars for profit, just thought cutlasses were overall better cars than they are in stock form, I guess. To repeat, I didn’t buy it to flip it, I bought it thinking If I ran into financial troubles I could sell if for more than I paid. Given what else was for sale at the time and the prices they were getting for them, it seemed clear.
Right now I’m just stuck. I’m not sure I want to spend a ton more money on this car to try to make it something it’s not. To me, when I bought the Cutlass, it was every kid’s dream of a race car. Now that I’m making pretty good money, and have driven actual fast cars, and daily drive a relatively quick car, the cutlass seems like a dog. That’s honestly what happened. I just think it’s going to take quite a bit to “get that feeling back”, which is probably what this is all about.
Now I’m not stupid, I don’t think the Lincoln would be fast, but it’s a different type of car, a cruiser, as I stated before. Not a car people are going to be pulling up to you in and wanting to drag. That’s all.

Last edited by jpc647; September 11th, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Oldsdruid

Sell the Oldsmobile. You are never going to be happy with it, and you are never going to be happy until it is out of your life, because you seem to be completely unable to separate it from the Hyundai or modern performance cars.

That said, you are missing the whole point of owning and enjoying an older car, which is that ISN'T so damned technical and tuned and modern. I am bombarded with high-tech all day at work, and then to an extent away from work what with all the electronic gadgets surrounding me. Low tech is an escape. I don't think you've quite learned that.
Old September 11th, 2011, 07:29 PM

Sell the olds to someone that deserves it .YOU DON'T.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Some people are not meant to be old car owners, beacause they can't be old car maintainers. It takes a bit of imagination and optimism, will power, some skill, and cash!

Just sell the car!

Ok, I will say it again!
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by jpc647
...I’m not sure I want to spend a ton more money on this car to try to make it something it’s not. To me, when I bought the Cutlass, it was every kid’s dream of a race car. Now that I’m making pretty good money, and have driven actual fast cars, and daily drive a relatively quick car, the cutlass seems like a dog. That’s honestly what happened. I just think it’s going to take quite a bit to “get that feeling back”, which is probably what this is all about.

Now I’m not stupid, I don’t think the Lincoln would be fast, but it’s a different type of car, a cruiser, as I stated before. Not a car people are going to be pulling up to you in and wanting to drag. That’s all.
So personally I find it really irritating and juvenile that all these other folks keep spouting off the "Just sell the car" crap.
I'd actually like to try to give a tiny bit of guidance to help you enjoy it- if you want to.

That paragraph exerpt i just posted of yours says it all.
You EXPECT something that you car currently is not providing, therefore it currently is not fun.

That is not at all a unique problem- however it has a cure and its called horsepower.

Putting some horsepower into a musclecar (yes despite what others say, your car IS a muscle car, just needs some steroids right now)- will make it feel like no current car can. Modern performance cars rock. There is no doubt. But they simply don't ahve the same feel as an old car w/ tons of torque.

So i'll give you a simple equation for making your car more fun.

Comp Cams XE238 Cam & Lifter Kit (~300 after you add in the gaskets and misc you'll need to install it)
3.73 gear swap (~$1500 if you pay a shop to do it)

Do the first one... and if you have the money, do the 2nd. Those two things and I'm certain you would find yourself enjoying the car- (and or paying speeding tickets)

2nd recomendation. Go to a local dragstrip on a test & tune night. Walk around the pits and see guys with old cars actually using htem for going fast and having fun. You will see a whole different side of classic cars at that point.
I'm talking about the guys running 13s, 12s, and 11s who actually drove their cars to the track. There are more than you'd think. Those cars are not exotic, some are fancy and could easily sit at a car show, others are beaters just to go fast. But the owners are all out there using their cars and having a blast.

Since you have a nice daily driver already- you are in the perfect position to start wrenching on your cutlass and MAKE IT into what you want. The ability to take something apart and NOT have to have it together again by monday morning for work/school is very handy. It allows you to do stuff over time.

But you gotta have the motivation and desire to make it happen.
Luckily I have a lot of friends with high horsepower classic cars. All i need is a ride in someones car and I've got my motivation back.

BTW...
If you watch the "68 elcamino" video in my sig line below... you get a good example of what I like to do with my cars. My cutlass is not there yet. However- that elcamino took about 3 years to get from the back of a tow truck when i bought it, to the burnout in that video.

Nothing happens overnight. And nothing happens if you don't make it happen.

Last edited by RAMBOW; September 12th, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM

Ok. now lets put the muscle car te to rest regarding if the cutlass S is a Muscle car. Hell yes as much as a 69 ZL1 camaro is a muscle car. Those were designated to have no performance badging whatsoever. Is the kid with the Nissan Sentra with the fart can exhaust and hundreds of gauges and stickers driving a muscle car? Naah. The 64 442 could only have the 330 engine. Id call that a muscle car though. Performance potential from the factory, id say that is an important factor.
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:32 AM

So personally I find it really irritating and juvenile that all these other folks keep spouting off the "Just sell the car" crap.
I'd actually like to try to give a tiny bit of guidance to help you enjoy it- if you want to.

You EXPECT something that you car currently is not providing, therefore it currently is not fun.

That is not at all a unique problem- however it has a cure and its called horsepower.

Putting some horsepower into a musclecar (yes despite what others say, your car IS a muscle car, just needs some steroids right now)- will make it feel like no current car can. Modern performance cars rock. There is no doubt. But they simply don't ahve the same feel as an old car w/ tons of torque.

Comp Cams XE238 Cam & Lifter Kit (~300 after you add in the gaskets and misc you'll need to install it)

Do the first one... and if you have the money, do the 2nd. Those two things and I'm certain you would find yourself enjoying the car- (and or paying speeding tickets)

2nd recomendation. Go to a local dragstrip on a test & tune night. Walk around the pits and see guys with old cars actually using htem for going fast and having fun. You will see a whole different side of classic cars at that point.
I'm talking about the guys running 13s, 12s, and 11s who actually drove their cars to the track. There are more than you'd think. Those cars are not exotic, some are fancy and could easily sit at a car show, others are beaters just to go fast. But the owners are all out there using their cars and having a blast.

Since you have a nice daily driver already- you are in the perfect position to start wrenching on your cutlass and MAKE IT into what you want. The ability to take something apart and NOT have to have it together again by monday morning for work/school is very handy. It allows you to do stuff over time.

Luckily I have a lot of friends with high horsepower classic cars. All i need is a ride in someones car and I've got my motivation back.

BTW...
If you watch the "68 elcamino" video in my sig line below... you get a good example of what I like to do with my cars. My cutlass is not there yet. However- that elcamino took about 3 years to get from the back of a tow truck when i bought it, to the burnout in that video.

Literally couldn't have said it better.
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:37 AM

Lastly, I did tune it up, there was no real difference, except it idles a little bit smoother. I played/adjusted the carb with my father a bit too. No real performance gains. Going to check the timing at some point soon. Maybe later on today. Didn't I already post this?
IF YOU DID NOT ALREADY CHECK THE TIMING YOU DID NOT DO A TUNE UP!!!

WTF DID YOU DO SPIT ON IT?

Check compression.

You're right, your car will never run hard. Why? because you're too damn hard headed about this, and that is the only reason why.

PS when was the last time you've seen a 10 year old hyundai?
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:47 PM

I drive my Cutlass daily, and have avoided a car payment in its stead.

The parts are quite cheap and it's easy to perform regular maintenance on, even though I really don't like doing car work all that much. I wouldn't be able to do it on a modern car without lots of extra tools, and money for expensive parts.

Frankly, I don't want to drive anything I could afford in a car payment.

Considering I have to buy a new $50K+ car to get the interior quality in my Cutlass S, I'm not really impressed.

I'd rather spend the rest of the money I have extra to actually enjoy myself.

I also have the peace of mind that in most cases, I can go over the car and find things that need attention. Avoiding problems on a new car s a lot more difficult without the right equipment - you just hope it doesn't break, and when it does, you just shell out cash. I'm not comfortable with this and it makes me feel like I have little control over my situation.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth. A-bodies are a good value.
Old September 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Oldsdruid

I think he's already made up his mind to sell the Oldsmobile, he's just grasping for justification to do it. I also think he wants to be able to say "Other people made me sell it" when he realises it wasn't a bad car and he wishes he had it back.

He cannot/will not accept the Oldsmobile's limitations and shortcomings compared to a modern car. Until he is able to separate it from his Hyundai and from the financial aspects, he is not going to be happy with it and is always going to be trying to justify getting rid of it. He does not want to make it happen, otherwise he'd already be doing it.

jpc, I generally do not like to browbeat anyone, but you need to grow up about this thing and realise that a 40 year old car cannot compare to a new car, and that you rarely if ever make any money back on a car unless you have taken unacceptable shortcuts in its construction. Barrett Jackson and all those damn reality TV car building shows are not real world.

Either accept the car for what it is and quit obsessing about making money on it, or sell it.
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:25 AM

Just a quick note for you JPC. I kind of smirked when you said that guys are always lining up against you to race. Well my friend that happens to me all the time and I think it's funny. All I have is a 1969 350 2bbl which can peel the pin wheel pretty good if I want but that's not what it's about for me. It'll NEVER and I repeat NEVER beat a modern sports car in its current condition but I don't care because my attitude right now is about cruising. These guys take off like bats out of hell and I just ease away nice and smooth. I meet them at the next light and invariably for the most part they roll their window down and tell me that the car looks cool...what does it have? etc etc We have a good laugh together and off we go...their manhood is intact and for me I've got my honey beside me on the bench seat What I'm saying is try looking at this from a different perspective and you'll see how cool you really look and feel.
Another thing girls your age love these cars...believe me! My daughters friends are always begging her for a ride in it. It's all about attitude...if you think and act cool in your car then the girls will follow. YA YA I know you have no issues with the ladies but you kbnow what I mean. Hell I had a Dodge Omellette...about the crappiest car alive and the girls never had a problem in my day getting into that rust bucket

PS I'm no spring chicken but I understand what you're saying

Last edited by atkinsom; September 15th, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:08 PM

I have to agree. There are too many people on here that are way to defensive about their cars. These guys jumping in after not reading anything, are just clueless. Clearly their idea of a fast car, and mine are different. It seems it take a bit more to impress me. Now granted I'm not as old as many here, but I've been around cars my whole life, and have driven quite a few fast cars. While some may think a bone stock cutlass "s" is a fast muscle car, I do not. The performance of a cutlass with an intake, and aftermarket carb, and a gear swap are still not enough for me. So I am seeking out alternatives to what I can do to make it where I'm happy with or, or if I need to get into something else.

I appreciate your input on the cams, I'm going to look into that. As far as the rear end, I currently have 3.33 or 3.43's in the rear. But at highway speeds, ie 75mph you can tell the car is at the end of it's reach. Now I'm not looking for a car to cruise at 120mph and get 20mpg. But to go to 3.73 the car is going to be winding up towards redline at 75mph, this probably isn't good for a stock engine, is it? If I go to a show down the highway, I don't want to be pushing a stock 350 that hard, thats a recipe for disaster, isn't it? Now again, I'm basing this off of my current situation with 3.33 or 3.43's I forget what's in there. And reasonable thoughts on this?

That's actually a really good suggestion. I'll have to do that, thanks.

I agree. I used to work my DD every night after work and on the weekends. Having a nice, powerful, reliable DD does give me a lot of room to work on the cutlass. I guess now I just need to figure determine what's best for what I want. Again, I'll look into the cams. I've been digging through all of the LS Swap threads too, just for another idea.

IF YOU DID NOT ALREADY CHECK THE TIMING YOU DID NOT DO A TUNE UP!!!

WTF DID YOU DO SPIT ON IT?

Check compression.

You're right, your car will never run hard. Why? because you're too damn hard headed about this, and that is the only reason why.

PS when was the last time you've seen a 10 year old hyundai?
Are you kidding me? I already stated what I did during the tune-up. If you're not going to read through the posts I've made, and are going to just harp on me to be a jackass, don't post.

Why won't my car run hard? I don't know, because a stock 350 from 1972 is only capable of so much. With 190 hp stock, it's only going to pull a 4000 lb car so quick. Maybe you think a stock 350 is a powerhouse, I do not. I'm not impressed. Maybe you would be. Clearly it takes more to impress me. I'm not being hard headed, I've been checking into the suggestions made, slowly but surely. There may in fact me nothing really "wrong" with my car, besides the fact that when I bought it if I was rolling around 30mph and I nailed it, when it downshifted and the secondaries opened, it would chirp second, hard. It doesn't anymore.

I've seen quite a few older Hyundai's. Now that I have one, I notice other ones on the road. On the other hand, not many people drive cars more than 3-4 years up in mass where I live. So it's all relative. Regardless, the car is covered for 10 years, if they can't fix a problem, they'll be replacing the car. It's called lemon law. That Genesis is much more car than the comparable Camaro, Mustang, Infinity, or Subaru. But can we leave the Hyundai and get back to the Oldsmobile?

Originally Posted by ChefDeadpool
I drive my Cutlass daily, and have avoided a car payment in its stead.

The parts are quite cheap and it's easy to perform regular maintenance on, even though I really don't like doing car work all that much. I wouldn't be able to do it on a modern car without lots of extra tools, and money for expensive parts.

Frankly, I don't want to drive anything I could afford in a car payment.

Considering I have to buy a new $50K+ car to get the interior quality in my Cutlass S, I'm not really impressed.

I'd rather spend the rest of the money I have extra to actually enjoy myself.

I also have the peace of mind that in most cases, I can go over the car and find things that need attention. Avoiding problems on a new car s a lot more difficult without the right equipment - you just hope it doesn't break, and when it does, you just shell out cash. I'm not comfortable with this and it makes me feel like I have little control over my situation.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth. A-bodies are a good value.
Up in New England a 1972 Cutlass can't be used as a DD. With snow and everything else, these car are horrible. I've tried to move the car around my yard in the snow and it's a nightmare. I agree the Oldsmobile is easy to work on. I don't have a car payment on the Hyundai but unless you redid the interior in your cutlass I don't see what you're referring to. The interior is nothing to write home about. It's decent compared to what else was available back in the day, not a far cry from today's interior. Maybe you just like the layout of them, I don't know. I wouldn't say it's superior even a base model fusion. Again my car has a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty, I pay for nothing besides regular maintenance and or wearable items(brakes, tires, etc). If something breaks on my Oldsmobile, well I'm stuck waiting for it to come in from the parts store for 5 days, or paying high Fusick prices for it.

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I think he's already made up his mind to sell the Oldsmobile, he's just grasping for justification to do it. I also think he wants to be able to say "Other people made me sell it" when he realises it wasn't a bad car and he wishes he had it back.
Are you kidding me? If I had made up my mind about selling the car it would already be gone. That's why I'm asking for opinions from guys who own similar cars. I didn't say it was a bad car, just a slow car. I'm sorry that to me, my "Toy" car should be fast, and I have been collecting information about what is available, and what I can do to make it so.

He cannot/will not accept the Oldsmobile's limitations and shortcomings compared to a modern car. Until he is able to separate it from his Hyundai and from the financial aspects, he is not going to be happy with it and is always going to be trying to justify getting rid of it. He does not want to make it happen, otherwise he'd already be doing it.

jpc, I generally do not like to browbeat anyone, but you need to grow up about this thing and realise that a 40 year old car cannot compare to a new car, and that you rarely if ever make any money back on a car unless you have taken unacceptable shortcuts in its construction. Barrett Jackson and all those damn reality TV car building shows are not real world.
Again I have to disagree with this also. I'm not trying to justify getting rid of it. At this point i've been collecting input about what can be done and how much it would cost. I can't "already be doing it" if I don't know what "it" is yet.
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:08 PM

Either accept the car for what it is and quit obsessing about making money on it, or sell it.
Yes, I did buy the car thinking I was getting a good deal. Yes I was worried about overspending on the car. Why is that so bad? When you go grocery shopping, do you look for sales? Why are you worried about over spending on food, you need food to live.

You said, "accept if for what it is, or sell it". In my mind there is a bid step in between and that is making the car into something I'm happy with. That's why cars are modified. I'm at the point now where I'm looking into what it would take to make this into "my car", something I could be proud of and happy with. I'm not just going to go blow money without doing some research first.
Old September 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Ben

Old September 18th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I hope a moderator closes this thread. It is going no where and serving no purpose. I am done with it.
Old September 18th, 2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I hope a moderator closes this thread. It is going no where and serving no purpose. I am done with it.
I don't. Rambow was actually helping. He made a couple of very good suggestions. Many others just seem to want to jump on the bandwagon and say sell the car, or bash the fact I drive a Hyundai for a DD.
Old September 18th, 2011, 06:09 PM
NôôB

Yes, I did buy the car thinking I was getting a good deal. Yes I was worried about overspending on the car. Why is that so bad? When you go grocery shopping, do you look for sales? Why are you worried about over spending on food, you need food to live.

You said, "accept if for what it is, or sell it". In my mind there is a bid step in between and that is making the car into something I'm happy with. That's why cars are modified. I'm at the point now where I'm looking into what it would take to make this into "my car", something I could be proud of and happy with. I'm not just going to go blow money without doing some research first.
So you decided to keep the car now? Great now we can stop the arguing on him getting rid of it or not . Now we can all help him to see how we can cheaply make his car badass now.

I say close this thread and start a new one.... ONTO THE BIG PROJECTS THREAD!!!!!
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:23 PM

If you REALLY want performance, you can pretty much toss anything mass produced with 4 wheels...grab yourself a liter bike, Hayabusa, or ZX-14...nothing else competes (in a straight line anyway). If you accept that, and are just looking to have enough power to have some fun with...you can easily do so with that Olds...

But its gonna cost you. If its still stock, its very low compression (yes, I looked it up for you, stock was around 8.2:1 - quite low). A cam will still wake the thing up, but you are going to be limited on how large you can go based on that compression ratio. Don't let your ego get the best of you. A big cam on a low compression engine in a big car with highway gears and a stock converter ain't gonna be happy.

But, this is all based on a healthy engine to start...if the reason it isn't as lively as it once was is something like lost compression, you're probably looking at a rebuild anyway.

If the engine used to have more power, then something IS wrong and you need to figure out what it is...it'll never respond to any of these recommendations if its sick.
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:35 AM

I'm at the point now where I'm looking into what it would take to make this into "my car", something I could be proud of and happy with. I'm not just going to go blow money without doing some research first.
Then read this more then a few times until it sinks in thoroughly.

"The worlds's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog.
But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam and that engine will still make great power."
- John Lingenfelter
You don't own a Muscle Car.
You own a regular large 2 door coupe with a weak headed motor that a muscle car spawned from with a powerful motor.

It would be like comparing a 1987 Buick Regal to a 1987 Buick Grand National.
It would be like comparing a Cobalt RS to a new Turbo Cobalt SS for the tuner crowd comparison.
Which BTW was the fastest FWD car around Nurburgring

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 19th, 2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Yawn!!!!!!
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:20 PM

I can't believe I read this entire post only to derive one small conclusion about the originator...

Dude, you sound like a whiny punk! Grow a pair, sell the car or put some money into it! Quit being the eternal pessimist you are and find SOMETHING positive in life. No car is going to make you happy when you can't find one thing good to say about it.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:37 PM

ROFLcopterwar.gif

I had to use my own hosted image this time.
It was just perfect considering your screen name.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 19th, 2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:55 PM

Doesn't work Aces...might wanna try again
Old September 20th, 2011, 09:55 AM

I had to use my own hosted image this time.
It was just perfect considering your screen name.
Considering my screen name? Did I miss something?
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:20 AM

You sure did buddy...he's talking about MY screename.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM

^ ^ Yep ^ ^ maybe he didn't know what an AH64 was.
AH64 pilot.....made a funny....haha....= LOLCoptor

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 20th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 08:56 PM

I like this pic better...a little because it's a Longbow, but mostly because I'M IN IT! lol!

Or this because my son is in it:

Last edited by ah64pilot; September 20th, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old September 21st, 2011, 04:25 AM

Such an honor to have that job IMO.
To this day, it amazes me that big heavy gyrotank can fly.....crazy.

Very very cool. My goal was to be a Navy combat fighter pilot.
I was cursed with bad astigmatism. They told me go CWO for the choppers.
I never tried tho.......lost my dream and went Intel instead.

Very cool that you got to live yours.
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM

Shoot man, you can fly with lasik procedure now days. Or 20/20 corrected with glasses...

It is a dream, I hope I get back in the cockpit...I just did 6 months of chemotherapy for cancer in my leg Hoping it worked so I can go kill some bad guys on the next deployment.
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Shoot man, you can fly with lasik procedure now days. Or 20/20 corrected with glasses...
Back in the 90's they had the Radial keratotamy which was the exacto knife incisions. lol
They wouldn't let us be pilots because they said the G-force would tear our cornea's.

I could have re-enlisted and gone Army after to be a chopper pilot but I liked the Navy better.
Being a CWO I'm sure life is much better then an enlisted guys life.

Good luck with your future military career bud. I have my degree and might go the Big "O" myself in Intel again.

Last edited by Aceshigh; September 21st, 2011 at 08:53 PM.