The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Chasing away newbies?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:45 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Chasing away newbies?

I wonder if we chased away a newbie by trying to educate them in internet communication.

Personally I think this person may have thought we were kind of hard on them,I think they caught flak in more than one of their threads.

Antweave hasnt posted or responded since.

What do you all think? Am I reading to much into their no response?
Old April 3rd, 2011, 07:49 PM

It would not surprise me in the slightest.

I'll leave it at that.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've said it before in other places, and I'll say it again, because I like to watch myself type:
This is a text-based communications medium, in which we share information in printed English. If a person is unable to communicate in printed English, there's not much more to say.

I'm not real big on affirmative action for the typing-impaired. If Steven Frickin' Hawking can do it with a stick between his teeth, then other people can do it with the fingers that the good Lord gave them. If any members want to step up and volunteer as tutors for kids whose teachers never required them to submit a comprehensible essay, then have at it, but I am not such a patient soul.

If I want to approach some stranger and ask him for a favor, I will work to be as pleasant and unobjectionable as I can. Barging into a civilized discussion spewing unpunctuated gobbledegook is just plain rude in my book.

And, for the wiseguys, no, I don't mean to disparage any of our non-native English speaking members. They actually do work very hard to get the language right, and I respect them for their effort. edit: ...and that goes for Canadians as well - they're all so bloody good-natured that criticizing them would be like kicking a puppy.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; April 3rd, 2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:21 PM

Well, we are human. If you are going to put a post, be prepaird to hear good and bad.If you don't like what is said, then you have to take it with a grain of salt. We all been told things we don't like, but that is the matter of some one's opinion.So it all depends how a person handles it.May respond and then it may get nasty, the old saying (mama told me, have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all). May be thats what happened.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Will NEVER Grow Up!

Originally Posted by Kyle's 77 Cutlass
May respond and then it may get nasty, the old saying (mama told me, have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all). May be thats what happened.
Well said, Kyle!
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:54 AM

Thanks
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:54 AM

I have seen a lot of newbies come in , ask a question, get decent answers and never respond, not even a thanks. It looks like about 90% of our members have less than 10 posts, I dont thimk they were all scared off, maybe some, but the horrible grammar is a bit unsettling.
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah. There was one guy a few months ago for whom I wrote up an elaborate set of instructions for installing his gauges, with diagrams and everything.

Never a word or thanks or acknowledgement.

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Olds Dreamer

It says he was on here yesterday. the spelling and grammer i used to be that way but people like u guys made me relize real quick that i needed to read through what i wrote and fix things if needed. what antweave does to bother me is he asks the same question in every topic. he needs to ask where needed then wait.
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:03 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Some people come on with one question get it answered then leave/or sell somthing that they got and don't want. Some try and stir up stuff to get some sort of reaction. Some people just like to be offended and nothing you do will change that. Some want very quick answers and get mad when people don't answer right away. (I guess Joe P. wants a life and some sleep). I try and thank people when I get help and sometimes I forget, too.
My .02
Larry
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I've said it before in other places, and I'll say it again, because I like to watch myself type:
This is a text-based communications medium, in which we share information in printed English. If a person is unable to communicate in printed English, there's not much more to say.
- Eric
Eric, I agree with you, however, I take a different approach in that when I can't even understand what the poster was trying to say, I just ignore the post and don't reply to it. The education people receive in public schools today is atrocious compared to when I was in school in the 1950s. The teachers weren't just babysitters and they had control of the class so everyone could learn. My son was a teacher, then a Principal. He quit education because the system is out of control. He said he spent all of his time dealing with disruptions caused by students yet had little authority to punish the trouble makers. When punishment went out the window so did education.
Higgins
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM

You ask a teenager a math question, their response is, where's the calculator:remember the old saying, (friends come and go but true friends stay for ever), well this might be the case
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:45 AM

You didn't chase off all of the newbies, I'm still here. Sometimes it is difficult fitting in on a site that has certain groups that are already established but you just have to try your best to fit in and not let your feelings get hurt. We are all big boys and girls and the WEB is a big place. I found this place while looking for answers to some questions and have hopefully answered a few questions for others was well. I always try to be thankful for the help and also understand if you ask 100 people a question you will get about 150 different answers.

I think this is a great site with very knowledgeable and friendly people. I have met one member Steve Gerard at Autorama in February and am looking forward to meeting many more as the summer roles on.
Old April 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Higgins
Eric, I agree with you, however, I take a different approach in that when I can't even understand what the poster was trying to say, I just ignore the post and don't reply to it.
Can't argue with you there, and yours is probably the mature approach, but I honestly feel as though I want to help people if I have anything to contribue (sometimes even if I don't ), and feel as though asking someone to write more clearly is more straightforward than just giving them what they might perceive as the "cold shoulder" without any explanation.

No argument here, though - your point is a good one.

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

..........and that goes for Canadians as well - they're all so bloody good-natured that criticizing them would be like kicking a puppy.- Eric
Why, woof woof woof, bark woof woof bark bark bark ! (thank you Eric! Let's go pee on some Chebby tires!! )
Old April 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Well to put your mind at ease antweav posted an interrior question recently!!!

Last edited by oldcutlass; April 4th, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old April 4th, 2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Well to put your mind at ease antweav posted an interrior question recently!!!
And nothing changed.
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Allan R
Why, woof woof woof, bark woof woof bark bark bark ! (thank you Eric! Let's go pee on some Chebby tires!! )
And please don't take that in a pejorative way - I am fully aware of how much Teutonic butt our Northern neighbors kicked in the Big War, and grateful to them for it (though not nearly as grateful as the French and the Brits are, I would suspect).

- Eric
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

And please don't take that in a pejorative way - I am fully aware of how much Teutonic butt our Northern neighbors kicked in the Big War, and grateful to them for it (though not nearly as grateful as the French and the Brits are, I would suspect). - Eric
None taken Eric, just having a little fun.
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:05 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Thanks to everyone for their input.Reading others perspective really helps me to understand from more than just my own point of view.It sheds new light on issues.

I have determined I am just to sensitive and compassionate.

Oldcutlass and Cratethis, yes I see the thread and nothing has changed.

thanks to everyone
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:20 PM
One of None W-31

When punishment went out the window so did education.
Higgins
Bingo!
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My son was a teacher, then a Principal. He quit education because the system is out of control. He said he spent all of his time dealing with disruptions caused by students yet had little authority to punish the trouble makers.
My father was a shop teacher for 35 years. He had the advantage of having perfected one of those looks, though - he could just look at a kid, and he never had to say a word.

When punishment went out the window so did education.
I agree with this, as well, but would have to say that when I started school, it went a bit too far toward the punishment side of things (you don't have to lift first graders out of their seats by their shirts to scream in their faces - you can do that while they're still sitting down). Still, I did learn how to stand still, sit still, and shut up when I needed to, things I think a lot of kids today would be absolutely incapable of.

- Eric
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:02 AM
One of None W-31

I did learn how to stand still, sit still, and shut up when I needed to, things I think a lot of kids today would be absolutely incapable of.
Man, that's the truth. I must be getting old...I find myself saying, "kids these days..."
Old April 5th, 2011, 05:12 PM

Though I do think some come on a little harsh, I for one have never learned to spell, my wife calls me rain-man because my math without a calculator can be scary good, my spelling without spell-check can be scary bad. I tell everyone English is my second language - unfortunately I don't have a first one.
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
unfortunately I don't have a first one.
Math

I've learned most people typically excel in one or the other.
I excelled in English, and I'm absolutely horrible with anything beyond fractions& decimals.
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:35 AM

English is my second language....my mother tongue is Gibberish...I tried for the longest time to teach my Mom how to speak it, but I finally gave up and learned how to speak English...how that happened, I don't know because she was speaking French to me...
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:24 AM

GOOD MAN, true giving is free, and knowledge good or bad is the best form!!
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
I wonder if we chased away a newbie by trying to educate them in internet communication.

Personally I think this person may have thought we were kind of hard on them,I think they caught flak in more than one of their threads.

Antweave hasnt posted or responded since.

What do you all think? Am I reading to much into their no response?
I thought we were all GREEN b-4 GOLD
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:32 AM

I gotta say tho on the old Oldsmobile site I USED TO check, if you thanked anyone you were severely scolded and threatened with being banned. I got that once and told the admin to go ahead. I wouldn't be back and I havn't gone back. Dunno if it's even online anymore.Hope not.
Old April 6th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
... on the old Oldsmobile site I USED TO check, if you thanked anyone you were severely scolded and threatened with being banned.

That's rotten!

I tell ya, I'd rather be on a site with a bunch of know-nothing blowhards who are reasonably polite than a site with smart people who are nasty.

Hey... Wait a minute...

- Eric
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM

I hope I speak for the majority of people here and that is we want to help you by providing feedback, advice, and suggestions to your posts. I would ask this of you! Please take time before you submit your post to remove the capitol letters. It will aid you in getting more responses to your posts, and show us that you understand proper etiquette. Thanks in advance! Your friend, Les.[/quote]

This was my response to this individual. I was respectful and did not devalue or demean this person in any way. Confrontation is simply a request for change in behavior, and that is what I did.
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by 442garage
I hope I speak for the majority of people here and that is we want to help you by providing feedback, advice, and suggestions to your posts. I would ask this of you! Please take time before you submit your post to remove the capitol letters. It will aid you in getting more responses to your posts, and show us that you understand proper etiquette. Thanks in advance! Your friend, Les.
[/quote]

Yeah that bugged me more than the words spelt wrong. but that is because i'm not the best speller and i probably didn't notice they were spelt wrong.