The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Anyone have one of the exploding washers?

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Anyone have one of the exploding washers?

I have one of those potentially exploding Samsung washing machines that are on recall. We bought it in 2011 for over $600. Looked on the website, one option is they are wanting to give $130 if you buy another of their washers or $35 if you buy another brand. The other option is they send a tech out to reinforce the washer lid, I guess to contain the blast. What a crock of crap.
Old November 4th, 2016, 05:05 PM

You guys could keep a Kevlar vest hanging by the door.......
Old November 4th, 2016, 05:15 PM
Lansing built

Samsung has been purchased by other family members and they all had problems. Because of that I refuse to by their products. I buy Whirlpool, Maytag or Kenmore which have been under the same roof for a while now.

Electronics Toshiba, Sony and Panasonic.

Pat
Old November 4th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My, that sounds hazardous.

- Eric
Old November 4th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Hookers under Hood

Hazardous is putting it mildly,
Get a helmet, put on the dam helmet, that's what a decal should say read both on top and under the lid if you miss the rinse cycle haha!!
Samsung of all companies, I'm afraid of what their cell phones will do in the future.
Old November 4th, 2016, 07:10 PM

I kind of gave up on Samsung Appliances when I was having problems with my Dishwasher. I was on a call with customer support for over 30 minutes and the service representative asked if it was connected to WiFi. When they finally sent a service tech he said " they make great TV's", appliances not so much.
Old November 4th, 2016, 07:10 PM
Hookers under Hood

Oh and plus...... If my wife purchased one, and it blew her breasts off,, well they'd be hearing from me I'm tellin' ya.
Old November 4th, 2016, 07:56 PM

Bought a $2,400 Samsung side by side refrigerator... it lasted 18 months. No tech could fix it and Samsung wouldn't step up. Lowe's finally got involved and resolved the situation.

I wouldn't buy a dog crate made by Samsung.
Old November 5th, 2016, 06:11 AM
Past Administrator

I had not heard about that in the news but it makes sense that the company would do their best to keep it under the lid . How much pressure can be generated inside a washing machine bowl (or whatever it is called) anyway? Weird.
Old November 5th, 2016, 06:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I had not heard about that in the news but it makes sense that the company would do their best to keep it under the lid . How much pressure can be generated inside a washing machine bowl (or whatever it is called) anyway? Weird.
I finally saw it last night. Seems as though there is some sort of a design flaw where the drum spins too fast for the structure, and it somehow fails explosively during the spin cycle.

Damned stupid if you ask me - it doesn't require Isaac Newton to grasp the physics involved and understand the need to design the mechanism to withstand the forces generated.

And didn't they also design the exploding cell phones?

Think I'll stick with my 30-year old Whirlpool (which just had a failure last night - figures. Now I've got to do some research and hit the appliance parts store...).

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2016, 04:43 PM

More of a rapid disassembly than an explosion.

Energy will kill you. Your car above you on bad jack stands is potential energy. Your wiring is electrical potential. A spinning drum is kinetic, which is what this thing is. You should always stay far away from a washer on spin cycle.

Side topic, I got a couple GE units with my house, the dryer is now making a slight moaning noise while turning; kind of a medium pitched "wooooooooo." I think a bearing might be starting to hurt. Oh well. I may grease what I can sometime this winter.
Old November 5th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Some pretty good information in here for finding the places to grease:

http://www.appliancerepair.net/index.html

- Eric
Old November 5th, 2016, 05:27 PM
same but different

We still have some pretty good old equipment here at the house. Mrs71 and I clean out the dryer about once or at least every two years. If you've not seen the burnt lint ***** in there, they might surprise you. We've both have learned about the guts inside.

The washer, no different. I've made a couple repairs in the last two years that were important, and saved us a lot of dollars. Think what a fill valve is, and when it might not work..eek. Its..basically a vacuam advance that is adjustable, as long as gets atmospheric pressure correctly through a tube.

Koda...There is an oilite bushing and spindle the drum rides on in the center, you might have a look at that. While your there replace the idler pulley and maybe a new belt. That'll fix it.

Anyways, don't be scared to work on this stuff , its pretty basic as long as the design is decent.

Old November 5th, 2016, 06:13 PM

I think where the problem lies is appliance companys don't want to make an appliance that last . They want it to fail so you have to buy a new one every few years .
Railguy
Old November 6th, 2016, 12:39 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

"They" need to remove the durable goods moniker from ALL appliances. They are no longer durable...unless Websters definition of durable has recently changed...its all chinese junk. Older IS better!