The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

2017 Nationals

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by bmlvu97
I believe that it states in the OCA bylaws that the National Meet is to be held in June, July, or August (this was a discussion at the General Membership Meeting this year). If we want to attract more younger families, the optimal time to have the Nationals is in the middle or late part of July as many kids start school in early to mid-August.
Based on my unscientific observations at Kingsport and Brookfield, I would think a serious study of the effectiveness of this strategy might be worthwhile.
Old July 29th, 2016, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Based on my unscientific observations at Kingsport and Brookfield, I would think a serious study of the effectiveness of this strategy might be worthwhile.
Now that my friend is funny. We brought our 2 year old but didn't see many other school age kids. He had a great time and enjoyed seeing the cars and talking to people.
Old July 29th, 2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
What is the average age of an OCA member? I don't know, but I would guess mid to late 50s. The old car hobby takes money, and many people with young families are at the stage of their lives and careers where they have lots of other obligations and things to spend their money on. That's not to say that there aren't young guys (under 40, say) in the hobby. But they're not the majority. So to do what it can to attract younger people with young families and school-age children, the OCA holds the national meet when school is out.

Think about what the message would be if the OCA held meets in the late spring or early fall when school was in session. It would be sending a message to the younger folk that they're not wanted. That we don't care about you as we know we're holding our meet at a time of year when it is unlikely you'll be able to attend. Not only would these people not attend the meets, they might very well drop out of the OCA.

No, I think that, in spite of the hot weather problem for meets held in July and August, the OCA will stick with this because it doesn't want to appear to be hostile to the younger generation, which it needs to attract to keep the club and the hobby viable.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 08:52 AM

Book'em Danno

Called the Marriott today and they said there are plenty of rooms available. King size bed standard room $109/night. Concierge level room $139/night.
Their web site says they are booked but if you call them direct they have rooms.
As of now we are going to arrive on Tuesday and leave Sunday. We may tweak that a bit to visit some family and come in a day or two earlier.

See ya in 2017!

Rick
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:43 AM

Rick, Do you know who you talked with? They just told me I had to go through the group coordinator.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:48 AM

Jim,
I didn't catch her name....sorry. She never mentioned a group coordinator. I'd call back and see if you can get a different reservationist. Tell them they just booked a room an hour ago without speaking to a coordinator. I can PM you my confirmation number if they don't believe you.

Rick
Old November 11th, 2016, 07:51 PM

I for one will be happy to meet some of the faces that go with the names on this site. Abq. can be a very nice city with a good variety of attractions and places to eat.