Rear Sway Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2013, 08:21 PM

Rear Sway Bar Question

I put the rear sway bar on my 65 442, and used body mount washers for shims. Does anybody know if this will make a significant difference and weaken the trailing arms?
Trying to decide if I need to splurge and buy the $15 shim package or if it's just wasting time and energy.
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:31 AM

I think a metal space the shape of a washer would be fine.
Nice to have another Vancouver guy on the site. Were you at?. Iam right at boundary road and Canada way.

Mike
Old November 5th, 2013, 07:48 AM
delete

I don't know if it will matter but I think the idea of the shim is to have contact all along the way between the sway bar & the trailing arm between the two bolts. I think just having washers would allow a little more flex. Again, who knows if it will make a difference.
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mike77
I think a metal space the shape of a washer would be fine.
Nice to have another Vancouver guy on the site. Were you at?. Iam right at boundary road and Canada way.

Mike
In Richmond right on the runway (Burkeville).
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droptopron
I don't know if it will matter but I think the idea of the shim is to have contact all along the way between the sway bar & the trailing arm between the two bolts. I think just having washers would allow a little more flex. Again, who knows if it will make a difference.
The only purpose of the shims is to prevent distorting the LCAs when there is a gap. Washers do exactly the same thing as the factory shims. The only reason the factory used a large shim is because one part is easier to install on the assembly line than a stack of washers.
Old November 5th, 2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The only purpose of the shims is to prevent distorting the LCAs when there is a gap. Washers do exactly the same thing as the factory shims. The only reason the factory used a large shim is because one part is easier to install on the assembly line than a stack of washers.
Joe, that's what I love to hear !!
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:35 PM

I may have missed it but do have LCAs that are boxed with an insert? The insert welds to the bottom and has a portion the goes up inside at the bolt location to prevent the arm from collapsing under the pressure of the SB bolts. Really necessary for proper mounting of the bar to the LCA. Or you can get factory or factory style ones with the insert already welded. OPGI has both the inserts and already boxed arms.
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by 62 Cutlass Convert
I may have missed it but do have LCAs that are boxed with an insert? The insert welds to the bottom and has a portion the goes up inside at the bolt location to prevent the arm from collapsing under the pressure of the SB bolts. Really necessary for proper mounting of the bar to the LCA. Or you can get factory or factory style ones with the insert already welded. OPGI has both the inserts and already boxed arms.
Yes, I have the boxed trailing arms. I'm guessing the sway bar got lost or disappeared, and never got put back after the rearend was changed. Just a guess, mind you.
Old November 5th, 2013, 01:03 PM

stubby or long?

Originally Posted by HonestDave
Yes, I have the boxed trailing arms. I'm guessing the sway bar got lost or disappeared, and never got put back after the rearend was changed. Just a guess, mind you.
Dave - on your lower control arms are they "stubby" boxed or "long" boxed?. If they are stubby then they are likely original to your car since only the '65 442 used the short version.

email me if you want to see pics of the difference.

Dave
olds442Dave@hotmail.com
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Dave - on your lower control arms are they "stubby" boxed or "long" boxed?. If they are stubby then they are likely original to your car since only the '65 442 used the short version.

email me if you want to see pics of the difference.

Dave
olds442Dave@hotmail.com
I'll post a few myself and e-mail you as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1965 442 Trunk 003.jpg (55.9 KB, 33 views)
1965 442 Trunk 004.jpg (60.4 KB, 32 views)
1965 442 Trunk 005.jpg (74.5 KB, 36 views)