Underbody Cable

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2018, 03:51 PM

Underbody Cable

Hi,
Can anyone provide me with a name of the cable attached in a semi-X pattern underneath the vehicle? I think I may be missing a couple of hooks as the pictures I’ve seen online of other undercarriages have hooks to hold some tension by about where the mufflers are.

Maybe if if I know what’s it’s called I can try and find some of the hooks online somewhere. Also, how taut/tight is this cable supposed to be?
Old November 1st, 2018, 03:57 PM

It sounds like the intermediate emergency brake cable. There should be 1 large hook, 2 small hooks and the "equalizer" if your car is like your avatar. There are several length cables, but I'd concentrate on the hooks first. All the repro places like Inline sell the hooks.
Old November 1st, 2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
It sounds like the intermediate emergency brake cable. There should be 1 large hook, 2 small hooks and the "equalizer" if your car is like your avatar. There are several length cables, but I'd concentrate on the hooks first. All the repro places like Inline sell the hooks.
Wow, I feel a little foolish that I wasn’t able to figure that out but thank you very much for your help. I’ll look for those guides that I’m missing.
Old November 1st, 2018, 06:54 PM

Well, it's a very common problem with these cars. Parts get changed or go missing. A 4 dr uses a different cable, a TH400 different hooks, stuff like that. You need to figure out what you have and what's missing. Here's a complete cable hrdwre set for Chevelle. Don't buy this....I'm just tossing it up here so you can see the sum of parts needed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/68-72-GM-A-body-T400-Emergency-Parking-Brake-Cable-Hardware-Set-Chevelle-SS-LS6/200860005559?epid=678919631&hash=item2ec43074b7:g: lFUAAOSwhWRaoY4-:rk:24f:0
Old November 1st, 2018, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
Well, it's a very common problem with these cars. Parts get changed or go missing. A 4 dr uses a different cable, a TH400 different hooks, stuff like that. You need to figure out what you have and what's missing. Here's a complete cable hrdwre set for Chevelle. Don't buy this....I'm just tossing it up here so you can see the sum of parts needed.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/68-72-GM-A-...Y4-:rk:24:pf:0
Gotcha. I went under and took a look and it has the large hook, the equalizer and the clips towards the rear control arms. Looks like I’m missing the floor pan hooks and that would account for the little bit of slack I have. I’ll pick up a set of hooks then on to the next mystery she has in store for me. Thanks again.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 07:42 PM

ILT has several versions of Kits of various combinations of brake system parts for all the popular Olds Muscle machines. You may also purchase all the pieces a-la-cart.
Old November 3rd, 2018, 06:37 AM
CutOvers Olds Parts Guys

S hooks. I have one missing on my car. Just purchased a new one from eBay.