replacing quarter panels help

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2009, 09:32 AM

replacing quarter panels help

Does anyone have any good photos of when they replaced their quarter panels? Mine's a '68 442, but I suspect any 68-72 A-body will be similar.

Will most likely have to replace the wheel well as well.

I just want to get an idea on what I'm going to be looking at in terms of replacement, where the best place to cut might be, and any other ideas.

My quarters are in good shape. It's just everything under it that's the problem.

Thanks.
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM

tom they won't be the same , similar but not the same, I have postponed my 69 resto for years banging my head for quarter panel replacement, I have a 69 convertible, they do not make full quarters for that, I hoped and hoped that they would, goodmark makes skins, then there was the debate flanging the seam or but weld, I have NEVER replaced a quarter panel, I have a mig but not with gas, iseams straight forward and if you go to google and put cutlass quarter panel repair you WILL get all the info you need, even video, after reading gearheads thread again and again I am going to give it a go, now if I can find a goodmark dealer fairly close to jersey so i go and pick up the parts instead of doubling the price for truck freight LOL

I have seen your 68 ( I think it's the red one right?) I was sorry to hear after media blasting it was found very rusty...

I have done the major portion of my chasis work already, new everything, just waiting to sit the body back down, and want to do my quarters too...
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Old(s) Fart

My first suggestion is that if you can find good used original panels, get them. The repro patch panels do not fit well, require extensive hand finishing to look good, and do not reach all the way to the factory seams.
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Well, my panels are ok. I should have made that more clear. It's just that when the guy put them on, he didn't properly repair the damage that was underneath the panels.

Eddie: yes, it's the red one. It's ok, I should have expected as much from a PA car. To what gearhead post are you referring? I think it's doable if one take's their time and plans out what to do.
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Tom it was gearhead78's thread about doing his cutlass his way
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...her-while.html

to me it was very inspirational! and it's like a shot in the arm thinking that if i am patient and work slowly and carefully it will all turn out ok LOL...

getting back to your quarters, I particularly liked the v8 tv repair

here is a good video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EsG_y_DjuE

there are a number of good ones regarding the same subject I really guess unless you find an excellent donor, shell, whatever, or buy that nos 69 quarter I saw on ebay ( 1300+) and it still wasn't for a vert LOL...

that we will have to do what we gotta do LOL..

it is too cold in the garage at the moment but i want to have this thing in swing by the spring... LOL
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM

We just put one on a 71

The panel was marked Goodmark replacement, whatever that means. We had to install an outer wheelhouse and a 1/4 on our 71. We opted not to completely remove the old wheelhouse. This required more welding but less structure to remove. It ended up being faster. The 1/4 panel fit very nicely and the whole job went well. If you noticed on the Firebird video the guy cut the old panel below the upper corner body line, not over the top. The natural curve is lost when you use the full panel... I made that mistake once. Also he attached the panel by still using the factory door gap metal so he didn't lose the nice gap and the metal is strong next to the corners. Just because they give you a big panel and it has corners on it you don't need to use them.
I didn't have audio on the video, maybe he explains all this. The new panels seem like a more malleable metal, easily dented, soft with more rounded corners. Compared to the factory hard to ding sharp cornered panels. You can't beat the factory panels but the repops work.
good luck,
Dave
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Gary

this is what I did and have more pictures if you need

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-replaced.html
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Gary

here are pictures from when I replaced the left side. I used a whole quarter panel on this side to get the piece I needed. I did not need to replace the whole panel here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0071.jpg (63.9 KB, 65 views)
IMG_0253_1.jpg (38.4 KB, 63 views)
IMG_0254_1.jpg (43.4 KB, 56 views)
IMG_0255_1.jpg (48.4 KB, 51 views)
IMG_0255.jpg (48.4 KB, 39 views)