Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Need some guidance - replacing quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2015, 04:25 PM

Need some guidance - replacing quarter panel

I am in the process of changing out the complete DS Quarter on my 66 442 Project. I have a very nice replacement panel to install. Since it was cut out very carefully from a donor car, I have learned where all the seams and spot welds were while separating it from the cut pieces. My dillema now is how to get to the spot welds that hold the quarter to the roof bracing on the project car? The Roof Skin appears to be installed after the quarters are welded on. I cut the old panel just below the roof skin seam to get it out of the way. What say the experts?
Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:00 AM

Anyone have experience with this?
Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:33 AM

the roof is installed after the 1/4s. on my nova,i melted the lead out of the seam,and cut the 1/4 below it,then when i put the new 1/4 on i welded it to the remaining seam and leaded it back in. you can drill the spots out and avoid cutting the 1/4. usually some brass in the corners of the window,and where the 1/4 meets the deck lid filler panel. my .03
Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
the roof is installed after the 1/4s. on my nova,i melted the lead out of the seam,and cut the 1/4 below it,then when i put the new 1/4 on i welded it to the remaining seam and leaded it back in. you can drill the spots out and avoid cutting the 1/4. usually some brass in the corners of the window,and where the 1/4 meets the deck lid filler panel. my .03
I found the brass also where the quarter meets the drip rail. I just can't figure a way to get to the spot welds under the roof skin...........
Old March 23rd, 2015, 08:38 AM

I replaced a quarter on my 67, but i didnt go that high. I cut both quarters 1/4 inch below the vinyl top trim at the base of the "B" pillar/sail panel piller. It looked like a pain to remove it up on the roof. Its a long weld doing it this way but if you do it in very short increments you wont warp it. Mine turned out very nice, I do have pics on here somewhere but dont know how to pull it up. Im at work now so i cant post pics here.
Steve
Old March 23rd, 2015, 03:02 PM

You melt out all the old lead to expose just the bare lap joint .
At that point you will be able to see all the spot welds, simply drill them out (3/8" Drill)to seperate the roof skin/quarter/brace from each other. As far as the brass goes you must grind that away.
Keep in mind the roof skin/quarter/brace were welded all at the same time, meaning the spot weld passes through both skins on to the structure(brace)

Install is reversed, tuck the quarter in behind, drill the matching holes so as to get all panels welded as factory braze or weld corners-done.