Power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2021, 08:15 PM

Power steering issue

So on my 81 cutlass my the pressure line on my power steering went out and the pump went out so I replaced them both but I still don’t have power steering and I don’t know why I’ve bled the system a couple times now and still nothing anyone have ideas on what’s going on it does have a hydraboost system
Old July 4th, 2021, 10:43 AM

Someone had a similar issue recently and it was caused by the pressure valve being installed backwards. The valve inserts where the pressure hose connects to the pump.
Old July 4th, 2021, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Someone had a similar issue recently and it was caused by the pressure valve being installed backwards. The valve inserts where the pressure hose connects to the pump.
ok but another issue devolved now where it’s pushing a steady stream of fluid outta the bottom of the pump is what it looks but I don’t know from where none of the fitting on the back of the pump are leaking and none of the hoses are either
Old July 4th, 2021, 01:03 PM
Oldsdruid

Reese, I think you got a bad pump. Sounds like the o-ring that seals the pump body to the reservoir has failed. Possibly the pump shaft seal. Is it a used pump or a rebuild?

Only difference in a Hydroboost pump and regular pump is the Hb return nipple on the reservoir. Are the power brakes working?

For the record, I had to replace the PS pump on my Hydroboost Custom Cruiser and returned the first two rebuilt pumps due to leaks. 3d pump was the charm. And natcherly my labor and aggravation didn't count for anything. These were NAPA pumps, too...🙄

Last edited by rocketraider; July 4th, 2021 at 01:06 PM.