need help picking springs

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Certified Car Crazy

Question need help picking springs

Somehow, on my '78 cutlass I've got like.. a good 6" of space/clearance, front & rear between the top of my tires and the fender/quarter lip..

Car sits way too high.. Maybe prev. owner installed cargo springs or something. I dont know..
But the car doesn't look right, nor handle right..

I don't want the car to be lower than stock.. But I want it to handle nice n tight around turns & stuff.. But it is still my DD. So I need to find a nice balance.

Someone told me to get Monte SS springs and use those.. It will lower my stance, not be too low and handle well too.. Can I use them in my Cutlass? If so, what year should I go with? Like 1987??
If someone can give me Moog p/N that would be great..

Also, I originally wanted to use Bilstein shocks.. But can't afford them right now. Currently have Gabriel in there. They are still OK but I would like to compliment the new springs with better shocks.. Should I go with KYBs? If so, which ones? The white or Silvers?? ( gas-a-just or Gr2 for a DD)

thanks alot
Old September 18th, 2012, 01:06 PM
jfb

how about malibu performance in california or what was ho racing there package makes a bodys handle very well and very reasonably priced. by the way kyb is a very good shock and also very reasonably priced also.
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:34 PM

Coil Spring Specialties...has your stock size in a data base and will custom wind springs lower, 1,2,3"
or what ever you want. Very affordable as well as brand new ride feel with the lowering look your after.
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM

My car has the stock springs, the stance is just about right, but the front is slightly lower than the rear. My goal was to keep it at just about the same height it's at but firm it up. I ordered a set of Moog 5391s for the rear. These are the highest rate OEM G-body springs from what I've read, and I think they're going to lift it JUST a little. They were used on some coupes, mostly station wagons I believe, but they are not the cargo springs, which as I understand it WILL lift the rear quite a bit and are probably what you have now. I had been planning to use 5658s on the front, but these would be slightly lower than stock, so possibly close to my front height now. Depending on how much the 5391s lift the rear, I may end up with 5606s or 5660s on the front. As I understand it, the 5606s are the stock MCSS springs. I can post up more information once the 5391s are installed and I make my decision on the fronts.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:11 AM
Certified Car Crazy

Thanks a lot for the info. Very helpful. Please let me know what you decide for the front..
I was considering 5608s or 5610s for the front..not sure though..

I want closer to a 600#rate in the front, but don't want it to sit higher than stock. I could deal with like 1/2"lower than stock...

Same for the rear.. I would like close to 200#rate in the rear without the lift...
Old November 3rd, 2012, 11:41 AM

I had stock original V6 springs all around, the rear was at a good height but too soft, and the front was too low and way too soft. My plan had been to go with 5658s on the front to keep it at about the same height but firm it up, and I wasn't sure on the back. I ended up installing the 5391s in back a couple weeks ago. I picked them because they were the "highest rate G-body springs" that weren't multi-rate. They definitely lifted it from where it was, but I don't think by too much. This left the front much too low in relation to the rear though, so rather than go with 5658s on the front which I believe will keep it close to the height it's at now, I think I'm going to go with the 5660s. These should raise it a bit and even it out.

Another combination I've seen that is VERY good looking would be 5660/5409. The 5409 is an A-body rear spring, which is why it wasn't on my radar initially. It's a similar rate to the 5391, but it would end up about two inches lower than where I am now. If I put the 5660s on the front and the rake is still too much, I'll put the 5409s on the back and be done with it. I wouldn't recommend going with 200 lbs/in in the back, this would be too stiff I think. My stockers were about 120 lbs/in, and the replacements are 140 lbs/in. The difference is noticeable, and the axle has a much more solid feel now, firmer, but not harsh. I also used 1LE bushings on all rear locations except for on the axle ears, where I left them stock, and I boxed the lower control arms.

Here's a picture of the comparison between the 5379 stock rears and the 5391s. The before picture was right after I put the 455 in, the car had been sitting for ten years without an engine. By the time I swapped the rear springs, I had put about 6,000 miles on it and the front springs had settled quite a bit. Then with the new rear springs, they raised the rear up and I think are also transferring some additional weight to the front, accentuating the rake caused by the already low front springs. As I said, I'm putting 5660s on the front, and I'll see how it looks. If the 5391s are still too high, I'll switch to 5409s on the rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Certified Car Crazy

I'll put up a pic of my car.. My car sits the same as yours does now.. but in the front & rear.. When I am driving on the highway and go over imperfections, it feels like the suspension moves all over, separately from the body.. Doesn't feel safe..
I would be happy with your b4 pic, just stiffer than stock..

I hate this.. b/c it's all trial and error and if it don't look right I am out $$$.. lol
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Certified Car Crazy

Both pics my trunk is loaded with tools.. lol

Stock 14" wheels

Cragar 15" wheels as it sits now:
Old November 5th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Certified Car Crazy

judging by your pics, and the info I got off of moogs site.. I think I am going to try the 5660/5409 combo..

I will take pics when I get them installed. Hopefully b4 winter hits.

thanks a lot
appreciate all the info
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:36 AM

Moog 5606 and 5608 are both 420 lb/in, close to early 442 front spring rate of 425. The 5606 will give a little lower ride height than 5608. Moog 5379 is stock rear, 120 lb/inch. 5413 would sit a tad lower (not much) and be stiffer, about 160 lb/inch.
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Certified Car Crazy

decided to try the f-body front/A-body rear combo.. 5662/5413.. gonna order them today.. hopefully get them in by Sunday and I will post pics..
Old March 29th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Certified Car Crazy

Here it is, finally..

Did the fronts in December and the rears beginning of February..
Doesn't look bad, but looks like the front is a tad higher than the rear.. That's with pretty much just a full size spare, small 2 ton jack and small tool box.. No more than 100lbs of stuff in the trunk definitely..
With a tape, measuring floor to bottom of wheel well the front is 1/4" - 3/8" higher..

Thinking maybe these springs are too stiff to compress with the weight of my car up front.. So i might try the moog 5660 springs.. Rated at 600#, where as the 5662 i put in is 700#..

I plan on bilsteins all around.. And eventually lightening up the front too with aluminum intake, headers and an electric fan..
Old March 29th, 2013, 08:49 PM

The 5660s will lower the front by just under a quarter of an inch, all other things being equal. If you then drop about 150 pounds off the front end, your ride height will be right back where you are now with the 5662s. 5658s might be the way you want to go, if you want to remove some weight and also have it sit a little lower than it is now. Just my two cents.
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Certified Car Crazy

You might be right.. I dont ser myself dropping 150lbs off.. Keeping the a/c and iron heads.. But i those still might be the better choice.. Give them a shot next hopefully sometime next month...
Thanks
Old July 18th, 2013, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by speedaddict78
You might be right.. I dont ser myself dropping 150lbs off.. Keeping the a/c and iron heads.. But i those still might be the better choice.. Give them a shot next hopefully sometime next month...
Thanks

This picture is a TAD exaggerated due to the uneven grade of the parking lot but this *** drag look isn't going to cut it. I just ordered the MOOG 5379 today and hope to put them in this week (will post pics after) I'm hoping it will give a little nose down attitude by raising the rear to stock and hopefully take care of the rid comfort ( it is ROUGH).
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Certified Car Crazy

I pretty much have the same thing going on lol.. I just ordered the 5658s yesterday.. I think that will do the trick for me.. the 5662 which I have now are rated over 700#.. the 5658 is around 550#.. I'll post pics when I do it, probably not till the end of next month.
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:44 AM

Ok, I swapped out the rear springs. I think I have the stance the way I want it. Here are the new/old springs for comparison (are these for a station wagon?!). The ride quality is 10x and the stance is nasty.

What do you think?
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:42 PM
Certified Car Crazy

I think it looks perfect. Nice job :thumbsup:
I hope I get it right this time when i swap the fronts.. Getting tired of changing springs lol

What are you running up front?
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by speedaddict78
I think it looks perfect. Nice job :thumbsup:
I hope I get it right this time when i swap the fronts.. Getting tired of changing springs lol

What are you running up front?
I've never touched the front springs, I am going to swap them out at some point though. I don't want the front end any higher than that.