How do you remove a wiper motor from a '56 Olds

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2015, 05:52 AM

How do you remove a wiper motor from a '56 Olds

I have a Super 88 and I want to get the wiper motor off but I don't have a lot of room to work under the dash to figure it out. I have factory air conditioning which makes the controls mounted under the glove box in the way so I can't easily remove the glove box compartment. I can see the cables on the wheel attached to the motor but how does that all come apart so I can remove the motor from under the hood? Does the wheel pop off? Do I have to remove the cables somehow?

thanks,
Jeff
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If the 56 is anything like the 54 and 55, you just remove the two screws that mount it to the firewall. It is all done under the hood. If you don't have a shop manual you should get one. That is the first thing you need with one of these old cars. Ebay should have lots of them. Prices will vary widely. Good luck.
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:43 AM

The shop manual doesn't talk about removing the wiper motor. I looked in the body section as well as a couple others but can't find it. Do you know what section?

The motor unbolts from under the hood. There are two bolts. The shaft of the motor goes through the wall. It attaches to a pulley looking piece under the dash. There are two cables that run around this pulley to the wiper arms. I can pull on the wiper motor but it only goes so far. The cables wrapped around the pulley attached to the wiper are keeping it from coming all the way out. I can't find any info on the net. Was hoping someone removed one before.

Last edited by JackJack56Olds; March 11th, 2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When I removed the 3 bolts under the hood on my 54, the motor comes right off. From the underside it may look like the motor goes all the way through the firewall but I doubt it does. The shaft on the motor has a flat bar on it that fits in a slot on the wiper tranmission that goes through the firewall. It is a matter of removing the cable from the switch (I have vacuum wipers) and the vacuum line and them the 2 bolts and it is off. I would suggest going to the Fusick catalog and see if they have a good picture and if the 56 is the same as the 54 and 55.
Old March 13th, 2015, 06:12 PM

I called Fusick today and they helped me understand what you were saying. I unbolted the transmission to the wall and it wasnt coming out. The motor seperates at the trans. Terry at fusick told me that removing the motor was easy but removing the trans is a monumental task considering the cables need to be timed. He also sent me some diagrams from a trico catalog showing the disassembly. Thanks for the assist. I see how it all comes apart now.
Old March 13th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I hope I helped some. I just noticed in my post I said 3 bolts which was a type which obviously should have said 2 bolts. I think you have it under control now.
Old March 14th, 2015, 07:32 PM

Yeah I wasnt sure when 3 was mentioned but I didn't notice the transmissions wasnt a part of the motor. I kept thinking you unbolt from the firewall and that was it. Glad I didnt go any further with the trans and cables. Thanks for the responses.