Fuel tank removal...

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2018, 06:24 AM

Fuel tank removal...

Hey all, I plan on dropping my tank soon to see if my build sheet is up on top. I'm hoping to be able to lower the tank enough to be able to just "peek" to see if the build sheet is there. Will I be able to do that from the rear, or do I have to disconnect everything from the front and go that way?

Thanks,
Dave
Old August 21st, 2018, 08:20 AM
Randy C.

When I found the build sheet for my '70 GTO (Fremont car), it was towards the forward end of the tank, slightly to the driver side, and between the pad and the trunk bed.

Randy C.
Old August 21st, 2018, 09:03 AM

Where was your car built? If Lansing, the chances are zero that there's a build sheet anywhere in it. Otherwise, you never know.

I've dropped gas tanks on two different cars in my life, and in both cases the only way to do so is to loosen the strap bolts at the rear of the tank, which will lower it some, but I don't know if this will lower it enough to see or feel around on the top of the tank.

If you ask me, going through the trouble to lower the tank JUST to look for a build sheet isn't worth the trouble. If you have to lower it for some other reason (to replace it, replace the sending unit, replace rubber lines, or whatever), then, fine, look for the build sheet while you're at it. Otherwise, while it certainly could be on the tank, it could be in other places, or it might not be in the car at all regardless of where it was built.
Old August 21st, 2018, 09:06 AM

Fremont cars usually have the build sheets on top of the gas tank.

Other plants it is hit or miss.

Sometimes the build sheets are under the rear seat cushion or behind the front seat back.
Old August 21st, 2018, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the replies...it is a Fremont car. I've already verified the build sheet is not under the seat or behind the seat back.... that's why I'm going for the gas tank....I'll keep kicking the idea around.

Old August 21st, 2018, 10:36 AM
Randy C.

I did have enough room to get at the build sheet on my '70 GTO just by loosening the strap bolts. I could see there was something because it stuck out just a tiny bit from the forward end. The tank lowered just enough from the back side so I could retrieve the build sheet.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GTO70origbuildsheet.jpg (322.6 KB, 10 views)
Old August 21st, 2018, 10:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

The filler neck goes over the rear frame crossmember. On the assembly line, the tank was bolted to the underside of the body before the body was dropped onto the frame. You can't lower the rear of the tank. In addition, since the bolts on the straps are at the front end of the tank, that's the end that comes down first. You will need to disconnect all the hoses and the sender and ground wires to do this, and you'll pretty much end up dropping the tank at that point. FYI, replace the hoses when you do this.
Old August 21st, 2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The filler neck goes over the rear frame crossmember. On the assembly line, the tank was bolted to the underside of the body before the body was dropped onto the frame. You can't lower the rear of the tank. In addition, since the bolts on the straps are at the front end of the tank, that's the end that comes down first. You will need to disconnect all the hoses and the sender and ground wires to do this, and you'll pretty much end up dropping the tank at that point. FYI, replace the hoses when you do this.
I was thinking about replacing the hoses while I did this anyway...question is..if my tank is pretty much empty will I have any fuel spillage?

Old August 21st, 2018, 10:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72455
..question is..if my tank is pretty much empty will I have any fuel spillage?
Probably not. Unless you know it's empty, I'd suggest that before dropping the tank, disconnect the line from the frame to the fuel pump and run it into a gas can. Use an air hose (with a rag to seal it) in the filler neck and apply pressure to force the remaining fuel out of the tank.
Old August 21st, 2018, 11:25 AM
Randy C.

You know, I did think it was kind of odd of the idea that the tank dropped from the rear. It didn't make sense to me, because of the filler tube. On the '70 GTO, I was able to loosen the straps just enough to get at the build sheet and it was more towards the forward end of the tank. It was many, many years ago that I did this and my memory isn't quite what it used to be. But I do know I was able to lower the tank just enough (without removing it) to get to the build sheet.

Randy C.
Old August 21st, 2018, 11:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
You know, I did think it was kind of odd of the idea that the tank dropped from the rear. It didn't make sense to me, because of the filler tube. On the '70 GTO, I was able to loosen the straps just enough to get at the build sheet and it was more towards the forward end of the tank. It was many, many years ago that I did this and my memory isn't quite what it used to be. But I do know I was able to lower the tank just enough (without removing it) to get to the build sheet.

Randy C.
The two that I've found on top of tanks (one Fremont, one Framingham) were both pretty much stuck in place and required careful peeling off once the tank was on the ground.

Old August 21st, 2018, 12:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

More work than you want, but I'd suggest removing the rear bumper first. Then access to the fuel tank, bolts and straps is a breeze. If the tank hasn't ever been dropped, there is a really good chance you'll find the build sheet up there. Here's how much room you have to work with when the bumper is off.

The bolts that hold the tank straps can get pretty crusty so spray them with a penetrating oil before you start wrenching on them.

If you're concerned about fuel coming out of the tank? If it's empty you should be fine. If you're worried about it, just cap the 3 rubber lines coming off the tank. The canister connections don't use clamps, and will look like this:

Tank straps 'hook the body sheet metal and are secured by these long bolts.

This is what I used to siphon the gas. Self made as described in the CSM to avoid sucking gas into your mouth.

Old August 21st, 2018, 06:28 PM

From the All Thumbs Automotive faction......(look, Allan R and Mr. P are the splitting the atom crowd .....I'm the more righty-tighty, lefty loosey guy) dropping the tank isn't all that difficult, even on the ground with the bumper on, there was enough room for my big booty to get underneath. While I didn't have more than a couple of drops of gas to deal with, I did get a good bit of penetrating oil into my once Stamos-like mane of hair. I'd like to think it restored some of it's long lost vitality but that's probably wishful thinking.

I digress.....That said, I gotta think that if you gotta know if the build sheet is up there.......as Mr. P said, to find out, 92% of the work to drop it completely is already done. As has been stated, new fuel lines are a good idea and me being me, fuel senders aren't that expensive and IMO, they are a "when not if" thing. Again, me being me, knowing how much gas you have in the tank is a pretty handy piece of information. Plus you can check the inside of the tank for any unpleasantness and clean up a few decades of caked on grit and grime......and, it's not all that difficult and it's a good story to tell your non-mechanically inclined friends. They will be duly impressed. Mine were amazed that I didn't wind up blowing myself up like a Meth Lab.

Just my .02....

Cheers,

Troy

Last edited by troyd; August 21st, 2018 at 06:35 PM.