Front end suspension help

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2006, 12:53 AM

Front end suspension help

My front end suspension is falling aprt. When I turn left or right it make a loud knocking noise. Also when I put it in drive it doesn't move until I push on the gas. Once I get it going and push on the brakes it has a strange noise intermittently until it comes to a stop. What could be the problem. I don't want to buy every part for the from end if I don't have to.
Old November 25th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Past Administrator

you could be dealing with two problems. The front end noise is probably just the front end, the "not moving when you put it in drive until you press the gas" could be the tranny or a dragging parking brake. If this is in your '69, then it is pretty old and you should have the brakes and the front end inspected by a good mechanic. After getting any related work done to the front end and brakes, then you can address the "not moving" problem as it might be the tranny. Safety is a primary factor with front end and brakes troubles, I bet you will need tie-rod ends, bushings, etc. At any rate, good luck and let us know what turns up.
Old November 25th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Yes I am talking about my 69. I had my whole brakes whole break system 3 months before I left the states. I didn't think about checking the E-break. They might not have pulled the handle hard enough a after it was shipped. I will check the break and go from there. I looked online for parts for the front end and ended up with a bill of about $1,000.00. I haven't gotten the parts yet, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions what the problem could be without looking at it. It's a little harder over seas to get work done. Me not speaking Italian and them not speaking English makes it harder. Thank you for your help.
Old December 4th, 2006, 02:01 PM

I got to the bottom of the front end problem and the reason the car didn't move whne I put it in drive. I had a few bushings replaced, thank you Oldsguy. I also had the brakes inspected and the brakes are good. Before I left the states I had the entire brake syatem repalced. When they replaced the brakes in the states they said a few broken lugs. Had the lugs "fixed". Truns out they weren't fixed right. That made the front end shake and make a lot of noise. I can still hear what I think is the drum brakes turning when the car is moving. Only when I'm going between 5 and 15 mph. When I push on the brakes the noise goes away.
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Past Administrator

That noise is probably a brake shoe dragging a little, it should go away as everything sets in and high spot wears down. Be sure about those lugs being safe, that can be very dangerous if you don't have every one of them tightly pressed in.
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the feed back. The noise has gone away.