69 cutlass s convertible quarters

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM

69 cutlass s convertible quarters

Hello All I am very very new here, but very very happy I have found this place, I have a 1969 cutlass s convertible, it is sort of odd in that it has a 4-speed, posi rear and a 350 2 barrel and yes all the numbers match, freaky man.. the gear ratio is 3:08 I think, that said, I have been in a LOOOOOOONNNNGGG restoration process, I have the body off the frame and have pretty much completed the chasis, the rear quarters have the usual rust, in the trunk extensions too, they were bondo'd by the previous owner and i want to replace the quarters, I was hoping beyond hope goodmark would do the convertible quarters too, but hope in one hand crap in the other and see what u get first LOL...

I have been told the good mark hard top quarters can be used up to about 3 inches or so above the wheel well lip, man it is going to leave a pretty ugly scar though... question should I put the panel on by butt welding, or flange it, i did read a few opinions but it seems evenly divided and they were pretty old threads, any updates.

second question, is I would like to replace the 350 with a 455, i have a 69, c-head 455 just needs to have the crank drilled, but is there any point into keeping the car all original, was thinking a 69 hurst olds tribute etc... since there were only maybe 3-5 droptops made might be fun.

thanks gents, sorry for the newb questions....
Old March 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

The only repro quarters available for the 68-69 cars are the partial quarters as sold by Goodmark and others. You are correct - they can be trimmed for use on a convertible. I have seen two versions, the taller ones Goodmark sells and shorter ones for a little less money. Since the C-pillar portion of the Goodmark panels does you no good anyway, you may want to go with the less expensive versions. Keep in mind that all of these panels are stamped in China, using thinner metal than stock. Fit and finish are poor and will require extensive hand finishing. Frankly, if you can find (and afford) them, good used quarters will be less money in the long run and will produce a better finished product.

If you are forced to use the repro panels, be aware that 99.9% of all body shops do NOT do a proper job of installing them. I've seen may Cutlii that have had these panels installed with a lap seam weld and bondo on top. The seam telegraphs through the paint and usually starts to crack after a year or so. Also, rarely do these shops properly finish the bottom edge where the factory pinchweld is located. This is where the inner trunk panel and the outer fender panel are spot welded together at the very bottom edge. The only correct way to install these panels is to butt weld using hammer welding to get the seam flat and invisible. Expect to pay dearly for this to be done correctly.
Old March 25th, 2008, 04:09 PM

Thank You..

Joe Thank you for the reply, I thought the goodmark pieces were "GM" Restoration parts with the stamp and all??? bummer....

If that is the case I might just replace the wheel arch and lower quarter panel? ( cut the replacement quarters up ) what about using lead on a lapped flange? I do have a mig welder, torches, and even a lencospot welder

I actually planned to do the work myself, but maybe I better rethink that whole thing LOL.... I tried to find quarters but I am sure you have heard the prices and they need work too...

thanks for your answer on the 350/455 swap found it in another thread LOL
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Joe Thank you for the reply, I thought the goodmark pieces were "GM" Restoration parts with the stamp and all??? bummer....
Yeah, don't confuse marketing hype with parts that are actual GM-built. The "GM restoration" parts is a lot like being "the official (insert product here) of NASCAR". All it means is that you're paying more for the item because the seller has to pay a licensing fee to NASCAR.
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:22 PM

I read this and felt kinda bad they don't make panels for your cutlass...
You might wanna call these guys.
They have a big yard with tons of stuff. If they have the parts they'll
cut them out seams and all.
I didn't see any '69 verts listed but, you may wanna see.

http://www.dvap.com/

I bought a set of fenders from them, they weren't cheap but they
were in real nice shape.
-Pete
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Thanks Pete!

Pete Thanks bud, I'll give them a shout, I often think it is better to start with something cleaner pay a little more, I often think if I could find a cutlass convertible hit in the nose or something, just dump the body, but I did the floor pans already, so I'll find something. worse scenario I get the goodmark panels and weld them on, from what Joe was saying, it seems like i'll be hammering and dollying for awhile, anyway no rush I've owned the cutlass for probably 25 years now, I have well got my money out of it, I had a geetoh convertible 69 4 speed but got tapped in the nose, so I bought the cutlass, I am in jersey and the pickings for clean panels are slim to none..
but I'll get her done, ( hopefully before arthritis sets in and I can't use the clutch LOL...) man what a great forum...

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; March 25th, 2008 at 09:14 PM.