61 front wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2008, 07:47 AM

61 front wheel bearings?

I am looking at changing the front wheel bearings on my 1961 98. They have a ball bearing and I am looking to change to a roller bearing. My investigating has found that the spindle on a '62 is the same and it uses a roller bearing. I am wondering if I can then use a '62 hub and not have to change any other parts. I know some of you are wondering why. The cost of 1 ball bearing is the same as all 4 roller bearings and the rollers will last longer and are safer in the long run. If any of you guys can help it would be appreciated. THANKS!!
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Past Administrator

If you used the '62 hub with the roller bearing spindle and bearings you would have to also use '62 drums wouldn't you?
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by dantana
........ looking to change to a roller bearing ........
Common practice when "reversed" wheels became popular.

Any bearing supplier should be able to cross your ball bearing P/N over to the equivalent roller set.

Norm
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM

---wheel bearing change out---

Originally Posted by dantana
I am looking at changing the front wheel bearings on my 1961 98. They have a ball bearing and I am looking to change to a roller bearing. My investigating has found that the spindle on a '62 is the same and it uses a roller bearing. I am wondering if I can then use a '62 hub and not have to change any other parts. I know some of you are wondering why. The cost of 1 ball bearing is the same as all 4 roller bearings and the rollers will last longer and are safer in the long run. If any of you guys can help it would be appreciated. THANKS!!
remember-when you get your new bearings, you may need to clean the spindle with some light sand paper, and steel wool, also they should come with races and you'll need to replace those in the hub! as soon as you change the races, there shouldn't be a problem... unless you are changing them because the oldies were beat and broken? good luck let us know how it rolls out for you... My experience is that NAPA may be able to help... if not they could send you in the right direction...