Timken front disc wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2010, 10:59 PM

Timken front disc wheel bearings

Does Timken make front disc wheel bearings for my 72 Supreme? I only see SKF wheel bearings at rockauto. thx.
Old October 15th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by oldzy
Does Timken make front disc wheel bearings for my 72 Supreme? I only see SKF wheel bearings at rockauto. thx.
I've heard bad things about Timken bearings since they went Chinesium.

http://www.best-bearing.com/timken_bearings
Old October 15th, 2010, 04:34 AM

I haven't had any Timken bearings that were made outside the US,but occasionally I get the seals that are made in Indonesia or Mexico.The Timken bearings still have the best tolerances,and accurate specs. I'm sure some day they will go Chinesium,and we can only blame ourselves for that because the first thing on the buyers' mind is price.To stay competitive with the other brands that have all gone overseas,what are you going to do?I've always been one that pays more for the better item,but I can't clone myself,and I can't get the world to see the light.I don't like doing the same thing more than once.
To answer your question about the bearings for the front wheels with disc,the part number should be SET-6 for the inner,SET-2 for the outer,and 8705S for the seal.
Old October 15th, 2010, 06:20 AM

ok, those show up fine by part # search at rockauto, but did not show when searching under my specific vehicle.
Old October 15th, 2010, 07:05 AM

I can't even find US or Canadian made rotors/drums. In the past, I usually got Bendix, Wagner, or AC Delco, but just don't know now.

Will the Chinese language eventually be a required 2nd language here also?
Old October 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM

Agree 110% w/507Olds. Feel like we are selling out/have sold out to those folks overseas........period. I do my darndest to "Buy American". Too frequently, can't do it. That's another can of worms, isn't it. Not a political statement, just a (unfortunatley) fact of life in today's world. You might try Rare Parts (California, on the internet) for an American product, but would specify that when asking.
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM

I had to get new rotors for my 02 Chevy 2500HD.They ranged anywhere from $150.00/each,and up from there.When I inquired about a GM rotor,or the well-know Bendix or Raybestos,all 3 of them were coming from overseas.Great. I bought the best ones that I could,and one of them was warped right out of the box.I ended up keeping them for spares,after having them turned,and had my originals turned & put back on.
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:18 AM

I recently purchased a Timken brand pilot bearing. Made in China, ink stamped on the bearing and on the box
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:29 AM

I'm not going to disagree.I've been told that those days are coming.That is why I bought & buy a bulk amount of bearings,while they are still good.Could I do it cheaper,yes,but I don't want to. With the rearends that I build,I do NOT cut corners,or try & cheapen it up.If I installed an inferior part,and it fails,the fingers will point at me,eventhough I didn't make the part,but I assembled the rear.When it gets to that point,I will just stop doing it,if I can't do it the way I feel it should be done.
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:48 AM

Timken part numbers are a Set3 and Set5. Timken bearings are made in the USA. Only a small line is made out of the states... mostly for the forgien cars.....
Old October 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM

MY BAD.... set2 and set6
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:01 AM

I'm glad the wheel bearing are still made in USA. Here's the box for a 455 pilot bearing.

P1010015.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010014.jpg
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:16 AM

I guess I stand corrected. I work at a parts store and Timkin sent out a news letter a month or two ago and said that they are only outsourcing a few lines, mostly the forgien cars. I really hope not all bearings are going to china, It's a huge selling point to sell some thing made in the states. We carry this other brand that is made in china and you can really see the difference in the metal and everything. At least timkin is still offering a life time warrenty. Damn that sucks.
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:51 AM
InfoJunkie

Originally Posted by oldzy
ok, those show up fine by part # search at rockauto, but did not show when searching under my specific vehicle.
Nothing personal with our friends down south but if you are buying from U.S. stores then North America may end up with all Auto part stores in U.S. and the manufacturing in China.
We all should try to support the businesses in our local areas so they will be there when we need them.
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:01 AM

Say it again sam ...

Originally Posted by InfoJunkie
Nothing personal with our friends down south but if you are buying from U.S. stores then North America may end up with all Auto part stores in U.S. and the manufacturing in China.
We all should try to support the businesses in our local areas so they will be there when we need them.

10-4 0n when we need them !!!
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:05 AM

I buy most stuff online. I will gladly buy Canadian if stores will get off their *** and create a decent website to order... or how about just a plain ol 'website'. There is f123k all local. Every time I drive around to a few places, all they have is crap, not in stock etc.

Show me a Canadian equivalent to rockauto and I will order from them.
Show me a Canadian equivalent to Summit Racing and Jeg's and I will also order from them instead.

Last edited by oldzy; October 17th, 2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:19 AM
InfoJunkie

I will agree with you on the crap parts. I sell auto parts and find that's what most people are willing to pay for. There are a few that want quality. The U.S has a much larger market than we do. Mail Order not a viable venture because of economy fluctuation and possibility for volume sales. While there are mail order stores in Canada price are normally much higher than the U.S. I have tried to find an online store(found lots) in Canada that sells quality parts but couldn't find one. Seems most (even Rock Auto) it's better to find your own part # then imput it into their search engine. I have the same problem at work ; parts on shelf but no listings in comp.
If your going to wait for mail order usually 2 days, might better support local stores that have to order in. Big dollars items are most times cheaper from the big mail order guys but they don't come any quicker most time. All I'm saying is try keep some of the business in Canada.
Wheel bearings, if you have the number, can also be bought from industrial suppliers. Most of them carry all the quality brand names. Quality overides price for factories.
Wagner rotors BD60232, Rock Auto $52.79 Partsource $86.98 only difference is price, both are stocking items at both places.

Last edited by InfoJunkie; October 17th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I bought Wagner rotors a few months ago for my 94 Corvette from Rock Auto. They were made in China. Seems really wrong having Chinese parts on a Corvette. When I bought them for my 99 Expedition, I bought Motorcraft. We have the commies making just about everything we consume in this country. I love it when I see the American flag on a box.
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM
InfoJunkie

I have seen Made In U.S.A., Made in Italy, Made In Brazil, Made In China and Made In Korea on Wagner rotors. I am unsure of the quality regardless of where they are made. I have heard of plant moving the machinery to other countries to save costs. If they use the same machines, material or machinists has to be the deciding factor. I've seen offshore aluminum intakes where the metal looks very different than U.S. made intakes.
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I'm glad the wheel bearing are still made in USA. Here's the box for a 455 pilot bearing.

I'm especially sad to see these message and comments. I spent 31 years in a precision roller grinding room at Timken Co in Canton, OH. They pay my pension check!! I too always to try to find and buy Timken bearings for obvious reasons but its sure a losing battle. I drive an F-150 2WD and replaced front bearings in it last spring. Removed chinese bearings when i replaced the calipers and rotors. Went to Autozone to get the new bearings. Counter man brought out chinese bearings and Timken bearings. Chinese - $5.65 ea -- Timken $12.15 ea. Guess which ones "joe average guy" is gonna buy!!! Obviously my pride made me buy Timken - 'the highest quality produced bearing in the world!' To add a little insult to the injury about this story ---- Timken discontinued the production of tapered rolller bearings at its Main Canton OH facility during the past year. In the 60's the company employed over 7000 people at their Canton facility. Today that number is less than 2000 and mostly all of the bearing operations have moved south or overseas. Thanks NAFTA!! Believe me or not, I just drove past the Canton OH Deuber Ave bearing plant this morning and stopped and watch the wrecking ball and track hoes demolishing the last of the buildings that used to house the Canton Bearing Plant. Oh how we are seeing this story repeated over and over in this great country of ours! Whens it gonna stop?

Signed -
Retired roller grinder --- and proud of it!! I probably made the front wheel bearings of at least one american-made vehicle each of you over 40 years old ever drove!!! Can you imagine my dismay when i found the OE bearings in my F-150 were Chineseum!!! We used to supply over 75% of all wheel, axle, transmission, and rearend bearings that Ford Motor company used in their assembly plants. And we even supplied 20% of GM's bearing requirement even with them owning their own bearing producing facility - Delco Moraine!!! Will our grandchildren or great-grandchildren be speaking Chinese?? Our fathers helped prevent us from having to speak German or Japanese! What are we doing for our grandkids?
Sorry for the rant! Just venting a little on a sunday evening in Ohio
Old October 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM

I know this is off subject, but you can thank your Unions for the jobs moving over seas. The Unions can not help you keep your job if the manufacturing plant is broke/bankrupt.
Just saying.
Old October 18th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Holy crap!
I better take a look at my new bearings that came in a few weeks ago.....