1969 W-31 Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2012, 06:15 PM

I will add this, I mentioned my carpet not being original and I know this: I didn't change it, the fellow I got the car from didn't either. He bought the car in 1993 from the second owner. So, I have a feeling the carpet may have been changed at time of sale, kind of like the addition of the radio. I have the contact info. of the original and second owner, but honestly, I never asked THEM about it. When I bought the car, the seller (the third owner) said the original carb. and original Hooker headers were still on the car: the original exhaust manifolds were included and he installed those. Unfortunately, he discarded both the carb. and headers..... oh well! I have since procured a "255" carb. Sorry to hijack the thread, but that stuff is interesting (at least to me!)
Old August 8th, 2012, 09:07 PM

Nothing weird about those items on your bill of sale as they were options, the D55 console, N10 exhaust, W31 option, 4spd, VO1, are listed separately, because they were options with a price attached, the head rests do throw me as they were federally mandated staring in 1969, and are std. equipment, they are not listed on my window sticker. Look back in this thread to see my window sticker posted, and the options that are listed.
Old August 9th, 2012, 04:04 AM

Yea, the head restaints got me, too. I was thinking that the relatively early build date may have had something to do with it. I know they (restraints) and the steering column key/lock became standard equipment in 1969. I saw your window sticker---BOY! that is in great shape!!!
Old August 9th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Nothing weird about those items on your bill of sale as they were options, the D55 console, N10 exhaust, W31 option, 4spd, VO1, are listed separately, because they were options with a price attached, the head rests do throw me as they were federally mandated staring in 1969, and are std. equipment, they are not listed on my window sticker. Look back in this thread to see my window sticker posted, and the options that are listed.
Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
Yea, the head restaints got me, too. I was thinking that the relatively early build date may have had something to do with it. I know they (restraints) and the steering column key/lock became standard equipment in 1969. I saw your window sticker---BOY! that is in great shape!!!
Bingo, Dave. It does depend on the build date. This is covered in the SPECS booklets and Dealer Bulletins, but until Jan 1, 1969 when the Federal mandate for standard headrests went into effect, Olds treated the headrests as a "mandatory option". After Jan 1, there were standard equipment. And Olds simply added them to the base cost of the models too. So all '69s came with them (and cost the same), it was just a shuffle of the numbers.
Like all the W31s came with N10, but it was done as a "mandatory option" and listed as an option on the order/window sticker. So along with the other "mandatory options", packages like the W31 were essentially more expensive than they appear!