1969 442 Convertible Frame Repair or Replace

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2015, 07:46 PM

1969 442 Convertible Frame Repair or Replace

My '69 was rearended many years ago. I am trying to save the car. Stripped everything off the frame and found the extent of the damage. The rear crossmember and frame are buckled as seen in the first picture. There is also some buckling on the frame near the rear spring pockets, as seen in the second picture.
I would appreciate advice on whether to (1) replace the rear section of the frame from the rear spring pockets back, or (2) cut the boxes off my frame and weld to a replacement frame. I have already located a replacement frame if needed. Of course option one assumes the remainder of the frame is straight.
Any thoughts are welcomed.

Old January 9th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Administrator

If you have access to another frame, thats the route I would take.
Old January 9th, 2015, 03:19 PM

I've cut and welded the boxed sections on three frames and by far the hardest part is cutting the boxed sections apart. Even with my plasma cutter it still takes hours and hours. My recomondation is to look for a convertible frame.
If the original spring pocket locations of your frame are level and square to each other. Welding a rear frame section wouldn't be too hard either. ~BOB
Old January 9th, 2015, 04:54 PM

I have a 1970 Convertible frame sitting here in the shop. Will it fit?
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the responses. I was thinking the amount of work to cut those boxes off and so started to rethink the idea. So how would I know if the pockets are straight and level? Another question. If you look at the second picture on the side of the frame rail there is a line that goes up and down right about center of the spring. Was the rear rails and crossmember originally a separate piece that was welded to the frame? That line is on both sides.
Mark
Old January 10th, 2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by fiebs442
Thanks for the responses. I was thinking the amount of work to cut those boxes off and so started to rethink the idea. So how would I know if the pockets are straight and level? Another question. If you look at the second picture on the side of the frame rail there is a line that goes up and down right about center of the spring. Was the rear rails and crossmember originally a separate piece that was welded to the frame? That line is on both sides.
Mark

To Check for square, just measure left front to right rear, if square then that dimention = right front to left rear. measure from body mount holes and spring pocket holes.
For level roll your chassis onto a fairly level floor and measure from the floor to the chassis in as many locations as needed. The chassis of these cars was never perfect when new. If you want to see, just measure the length of each side rail from body mount hole to bodymount hole. All the frames I have in my shop right now are + or - a quarter of an inch.
The line above the axle is an original factory seam. When I'm sectioning a rear frame I don't cut as far forward as that seam. ~BOB
Old January 11th, 2015, 06:11 PM

Bob, Thanks for all the great information. I will check this out to see if square.
Old January 11th, 2015, 07:05 PM

When I measure diagonal from body mount holes to spring pockets, I get about 3/8 inch difference. I will need to check level at another time.
Mark