Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Black 98 'vert - nice

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2012, 11:39 AM

Black 98 'vert - nice

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2885439060.html
Old March 5th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

x2.What is a foot radio control?-Man, I wish these posters could spell!

Ted
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:22 PM

All GM [except Chevy?] had a optional floor-mounted switch, to change the radio stations, simular to the seek option on the current upgraded radios.
Saved women from 'breaking a nail' while changing the channel!!
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
All GM [except Chevy?] had a optional floor-mounted switch, to change the radio stations, simular to the seek option on the current upgraded radios.
Saved women from 'breaking a nail' while changing the channel!!
Really...never heard of that one. High beam switch on the floor? Heard of that one. It would crack me up if the high beam switch was controlling the radio.
Old March 5th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
It would crack me up if the high beam switch was controlling the radio.
Me too. But I doubt that's it. Too dangerous at night time. But dog my cats, check out pages 15-3 and 15-4 of this link. Only thing I can't see for sure is the exact location of the grommet and foot switch. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ctions_15A.pdf
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Allan R
Me too. But I doubt that's it. Too dangerous at night time. But dog my cats, check out pages 15-3 and 15-4 of this link. Only thing I can't see for sure is the exact location of the grommet and foot switch. http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...ctions_15A.pdf
...and that's exactly where the high beam switch would be!!So....where is the high beam switch, or did this car have the eye?
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sammy
...and that's exactly where the high beam switch would be!!So....where is the high beam switch, or did this car have the eye?
Any possibility there were 2 switches in the same general place? I remember the old foot dimmer switch. Actually I liked it better than the combo gizmo switch on the column. Any of you also remember the high beam indicator on the early 60's cars were red, not blue?
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't know about the 98, but on my father's '47 Mercury, the highbeam switch is in the normal position, to the left of the clutch pedal, and the WonderBar switch is between the brake and the clutch, but lower down, closer to the floor. Both are the same basic big round button as a GM headlight switch, but they're in very different places.

- Eric
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:40 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by Allan R
Any of you also remember the high beam indicator on the early 60's cars were red, not blue?
The high beam indicator on my 68 Valiant is red. You know what else is weird about that car? Pull the headlight switch out to the first notch and the parking lights come on. Pull it out to the second notch and the headlights come on and the parking lights go out. Seems to me my 65 Corvair did the same thing.

Mike
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Highly optioned ones had three floor buttons...your regular high beam, your Autronic Eye override, and your WonderBar.

My father tells a funny story of his '53 S-88 Convertible (this is in the 1960's) of how he would ask his "dates" to change the radio station and he would hit the floor button just before they touched the radio - play dumb - and hilarity ensued...convinced them it was their ring, or that they were radioactive from the movies, or some other hogwash - anyone who knows him (Everett) will understand/appreciate him telling this story.
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by slantflat
The high beam indicator on my 68 Valiant is red. You know what else is weird about that car? Pull the headlight switch out to the first notch and the parking lights come on. Pull it out to the second notch and the headlights come on and the parking lights go out. Seems to me my 65 Corvair did the same thing.

Mike
Yes, that was how most were wired until around '67 or so, when FHWA regs mandated that the parking lights stayed on as well when the lights were on - I guess back in the day, on real dark roadways, if your headlight bulb was out, and you had no park / marker, your unlit half might not be seen by an oncoming car and...well
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Olds Dad
Yes, that was how most were wired until around '67 or so...
Yup - '40s F_rd products were all that way, too.
I think in the era of generators, the engineers felt there was no reason to waste current on extra lights that nobody could see anyway.

- Eric
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I don't know about the 98, but on my father's '47 Mercury, the highbeam switch is in the normal position, to the left of the clutch pedal, and the WonderBar switch is between the brake and the clutch, but lower down, closer to the floor. Both are the same basic big round button as a GM headlight switch, but they're in very different places.

- Eric
Thx Eric, that's the kind of info I was hoping someone would have. That would explain why the CSM says to peel back the floor mat and carpet to access the switch.