Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

'72 442 Pilot?

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Registered Luser

Exclamation '72 442 Pilot?

Seems pretty interesting that it survived! Can anyone shed some light on something like this, (Kurt-wmachine)? I think Andy has already spotted it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FIRST...item45f2d37626
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:42 PM

If what he says is true, that's a steal at 15k, no?
Old May 13th, 2010, 04:30 AM

Why is it a steal? Is the first car off the line worth that much to you?
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM

It was not supposed to be sold, hence "pilot car". And yes low production number cars are worth more for sure to some people. #1 can bring tons of cash from the right person.
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Trying to remember member

From what I've seen, I'm not convinced it is legit.
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:07 PM

I was asking if it was worth it to him. Calling it a "Steal" is somewhat of a stretch to me.

But now that you're here, is it a steal to you?

Me? I'd rather spend the money for a good W-30.
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Past Administrator

I read Diego's question to jimmy as being an "ask yourself, is worth that much to YOU" question. No doubt that it could be worth lots to the right buyer, for those that value that kind of documentation.

edit: hmmm, my slow composition skill showing itself again. Diego answered before I could post. (nice to know I read you right though...).
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:12 PM

No worries - whatever fuzziness there was in my post is now clear due to your reading comprehension skills. :-)
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:51 PM

To me I agree with you. I'd rather have a W30 as well. But that rare stuff that was never supposed to leave the factory will always have a place in the collector world.
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

If I was beyond rich there would be very few finds like this left becauce I would have them ALL! lol

I have seen crap box 442's go for close to this so being the first off the line in 72 might make it a steal........I wonder if it was a 70 what it would be worth?
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM

Yeah Jerr.....a 70 with an experimantal OW43 in it!
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM

I was meaning from a pure $$$ point. I don't actually care, and wouldn't pay more for some awesome story or factoid, but that's just me.

But like others have said, some people are willing to pay big bucks for stuff like that, and lots of people seem concerned with '1 of 14' and all that jazz. Therefore, I was thinking that someone could make a lot of money off that car if they could sell it to the right people.

Sorry for the confusion?
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM

At best this is the first off the line in Fremont. Out of all the other GM cars made there(?) Not Lansing. I find it hard to believe Olds had "pilot" cars in Fremont considering they were previously done in Lansing and only when there were major body changes. And they were not made in June. Keep in mind they have not shown documentation, just claims. Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.
Old May 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Registered Luser

Kurt, I totally agree with you, and kind of had an idea what you would say, that's why I mentioned you! My only thing is the pic of the cowl tag...looks like it has been there for many years, and would it be that easy to stamp a counterfit, reading "pilot"? Would someone go through the trouble for a rat like that car?
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM

My understanding from old timers that biult these cars was that these cars were built for test purposes only. The only thing that doesnt make sense is that they were usually built earlier in the year. June ish not Aug. The line went into production in Sept I think? So Aug is to close to the actual line production date I think. They were NOT all built at the same plant either. They were built at the plants nearest to each test facility in diffrent parts of the country that it was supposed to tested at. Hence a California car was tested there in the desert and possibly the high country? And they were usually beat to death then destroyed.
This is the expenation I got when I asked how that 53 Olds 88 prototype slipped thru the cracks and resurfaced to sell for 3 million.
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM

What is this '53 you speak of? I have a hard time believing a run-of-the-mill '53 sold for 3 million. Perhaps the show car that was at B-J a number of years ago?

My understanding is that pilot cars were first production runs to make sure the processes of building a car were sorted out before public consumption.
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by WTony
My understanding from old timers that biult these cars was that these cars were built for test purposes only. The only thing that doesnt make sense is that they were usually built earlier in the year. June ish not Aug. The line went into production in Sept I think? So Aug is to close to the actual line production date I think. They were NOT all built at the same plant either. They were built at the plants nearest to each test facility in diffrent parts of the country that it was supposed to tested at. Hence a California car was tested there in the desert and possibly the high country? And they were usually beat to death then destroyed.
This is the expenation I got when I asked how that 53 Olds 88 prototype slipped thru the cracks and resurfaced to sell for 3 million.
Originally Posted by Diego
What is this '53 you speak of? I have a hard time believing a run-of-the-mill '53 sold for 3 million. Perhaps the show car that was at B-J a number of years ago?

My understanding is that pilot cars were first production runs to make sure the processes of building a car were sorted out before public consumption.
WTony, I think you are confusing a "prototype" or "concept car" with a "pilot car". That 3 Million $$$ Olds was a Concept Car. As Deigo says, the pilots are run at the beginning of the production run.
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
WTony, I think you are confusing a "prototype" or "concept car" with a "pilot car". That 3 Million $$$ Olds was a Concept Car. As Deigo says, the pilots are run at the beginning of the production run.
Eveything has me confused these days! LOL
Old May 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Considering that the 1972s were simply 1971 dressed up with different grilles and taillight lenses (due to the delay in the Colonnade cars), I don't know why a "pilot" car would have even been required. Yes, it's VIN #1. More importantly, it's a U code car. I'd guess fully restored, with the numbers-matching block and trans, it's worth $30K-40K.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM

There are two types of buyers for these rare cars. The Joe who would buy it and baby it and drive it to shows. And the collector who wants it to put it in there private collection and is willing to pay Barret Jackson bucks to get it. Let just hope Jay Leno didn't buy it.
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:07 AM

what he is passing as a VIN is actually the Fisher Body tag. does the car have a VIN plate at the base of the windshield? these numbers are not the same. the "pilot" designation might increase the value some, but he won't be able to retire from preceedes of the sale.

it relisted and sold for 18,500. someone had to have

Last edited by Blk71SX; May 16th, 2010 at 10:26 AM.