Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1982 Oldsmobile Omega with only 160 miles on Ebay.

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2015, 01:51 PM

1982 Oldsmobile Omega with only 160 miles on Ebay.

The 82 Omega is up on Ebay for bidding. 160 original miles. The reserve is very fair. The only one of it's kind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2623.JPG (407.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_3255.JPG (136.6 KB, 67 views)
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:54 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-...m=131553404485
Old July 9th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Shoveling Snow

This car has been for sale for quite a few years. Just one of the unloved body styles even with no miles is hard to sell.
Old July 9th, 2015, 02:40 PM

i would love to own it but is most likely out of me price range
Old July 9th, 2015, 02:49 PM

Here's another "classic", it even says "price reduced".

http://www.cars-on-line.com/73765.html
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:15 PM

He came down $10K! I better grab it.
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:17 PM

The Omega is really cool but I have found a sitting car to usually have a lot of issues from just sitting all those years. And some cars never make it to collector status.
It'd be a cool car to pick up groceries in. I am very nostalgic for the eighties
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:52 PM

This car was discussed on this site before, I will repeat my feelings and they would be, the car has no real appeal, cool factor or collectability. It was built as a throw away car. As always just my opinion.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:18 PM

I don't know, I have a couple different thoughts on this car. First of all, any 33 year old car with 160 original miles is cool in SOME way. Doesn't matter how disposable it was intended to be, or how utilitarian a model, it's a brand new 33 year old car. This makes it different than a brand new 33 year old car 33 years ago IMO. The big question I suppose is, what does the seller consider to be a "fair" reserve for a car like this? $3k? $5k? More?? Whatever it is, it's apparently higher than any potential buyers have been inclined to pay thus far. Unfortunately, unless someone is an X-body 4-door Omega collector, it's probably going to stay this way until the price comes down. As there's not exactly a flurry of bids, it seems a buy-it-now price might be a good idea, to let the few bidders in the sub-$1k range know how many orders of magnitude they are out of the ballpark.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:38 PM
72Cutlass S

I wonder if a 455 would fit in it???
Old July 10th, 2015, 03:57 AM
Shoveling Snow

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/198864-...ega-155-miles/
Old July 10th, 2015, 04:38 AM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...160-miles.html
Old July 10th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Herbie
The 82 Omega is up on Ebay for bidding. 160 original miles. The reserve is very fair. The only one of it's kind.
Where do you see the reserve? The only thing I see is the asking price and Reserve Not Met.

This seller has been trying to unload this particular car over on the AACA website for well over a year now. He can't understand that while low mileage, this car is quite undesirable. His asking price was not too far from the original $10K sticker, if I remember correctly. Don't expect it to meet reserve on ebay, either.
Old July 10th, 2015, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Where do you see the reserve? The only thing I see is the asking price and Reserve Not Met.

This seller has been trying to unload this particular car over on the AACA website for well over a year now. He can't understand that while low mileage, this car is quite undesirable. His asking price was not too far from the original $10K sticker, if I remember correctly. Don't expect it to meet reserve on ebay, either.
I think "Unload" is a bit harsh. I know the owner well and have seen this car many times. The last time he had it on Ebay, it bid just over 6000 so I guess some people do understand what this car is. The owner has a building full of cars and is packed bumper to bumper so he wants to make some space. I also know the reserve is lower than before. He wants to see this car go to a good home so it's priced very fair now. Oh, any car this old with 100 miles is special no matter what make.
Old July 10th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

... any car this old with 100 miles is special no matter what make.
... Unless you hated them when they were new, as many Americans did in the early eighties.

- Eric
Old July 10th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

I think "Unload" is a bit harsh. I know the owner well and have seen this car many times. The last time he had it on Ebay, it bid just over 6000 so I guess some people do understand what this car is.
And yet, the car is still for sale...

Sorry, but ebay bids that do not meet reserve are meaningless as far as determining value. Talk to me when cash actually changes hands - THAT will demonstrate that someone "understands" what the car is.

The owner has a building full of cars and is packed bumper to bumper so he wants to make some space. I also know the reserve is lower than before. He wants to see this car go to a good home so it's priced very fair now.
"Priced very fair" is only one person's opinion. Is the reserve less than the earlier $6K bid? Frankly, what is the mystery of the reserve anyway? Setting an unrealistically low opening bid price and a high reserve just wastes everyone's time. Ebay is happy because I assume they still get a listing fee whether the car sells or not, but keeping a big secret doesn't help sell the car.

As was discussed over at AACA, a 35 year old car that hasn't been driven needs a LOT of work ensure safety. It needs to have all rubber parts replaced, brakes gone through, etc. The longer it sits, the more it deteriorates. Not driving a car is the worst thing you can do to it.

This car isn't even a V6, it's the crappy four cylinder. Sorry, but this isn't a collectible piece and at the pricing we've seen to date, it isn't something you'd want to drive regularly, either. Once again, don't confuse rarity with value. They are not the same thing.

Oh, any car this old with 100 miles is special no matter what make.
A 35 year old Pontiac Aztek won't be worth a lot of money in the future, either... It might be "special", but not in the good sense.
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:08 AM

Wink

And yet, the car is still for sale...

Sorry, but ebay bids that do not meet reserve are meaningless as far as determining value. Talk to me when cash actually changes hands - THAT will demonstrate that someone "understands" what the car is.

"Priced very fair" is only one person's opinion. Is the reserve less than the earlier $6K bid? Frankly, what is the mystery of the reserve anyway? Setting an unrealistically low opening bid price and a high reserve just wastes everyone's time. Ebay is happy because I assume they still get a listing fee whether the car sells or not, but keeping a big secret doesn't help sell the car.

As was discussed over at AACA, a 35 year old car that hasn't been driven needs a LOT of work ensure safety. It needs to have all rubber parts replaced, brakes gone through, etc. The longer it sits, the more it deteriorates. Not driving a car is the worst thing you can do to it.

This car isn't even a V6, it's the crappy four cylinder. Sorry, but this isn't a collectible piece and at the pricing we've seen to date, it isn't something you'd want to drive regularly, either. Once again, don't confuse rarity with value. They are not the same thing.

A 35 year old Pontiac Aztek won't be worth a lot of money in the future, either... It might be "special", but not in the good sense.
Joe, you did the same thing last time this car was up for sale. You made a fuss about everything. I don't have to explain myself or defend this car. How many 1982 cars have you found with 160 miles? You are going on about how everything needs to be replaced such as the rubber parts? They all seems soft and still fresh to me. You are missing the point on this car. It has 160 miles period! If you don't like the car, that's your own business. Oh, by the way, the reserve is set below the last auctions top 6000 bid.
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If I may disagree just a little bit, Joe:

A 35 year old Pontiac Aztec will still be a weird-looking old car, with a dash of the "ironic" styling appeal of an old Edsel.

A 35 year old X-body Oldsmobile Omega will never even rise to the interest level of "weird."
It will just be a boring, shoddily manufactured, poor-riding, bad handling, underperforming, completely undistinctive old car.

- Eric
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:18 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by gs72
I wonder if a 455 would fit in it???
LMAO! A blower and some tubs in the rear. Hummm I wonder if it would fit? SIC! Only thing its got going for it other than low miles is its likely 99% American made down to the rotors?!?
It would make a nice starter car for the kid though for sure.

Last edited by droldsmorland; July 10th, 2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Administrator

My viewpoint has always been that this car is not a collectable and would make someone a nice DD or if you hate your kids, a kid car. It is what it is, why make a big deal out of something that was a turd when new and marketed as basic transportation.
Old July 10th, 2015, 10:29 AM

Joe, you did the same thing last time this car was up for sale. You made a fuss about everything. I don't have to explain myself or defend this car. How many 1982 cars have you found with 160 miles? You are going on about how everything needs to be replaced such as the rubber parts? They all seems soft and still fresh to me. You are missing the point on this car. It has 160 miles period! If you don't like the car, that's your own business. Oh, by the way, the reserve is set below the last auctions top 6000 bid.
You know, the fact is, this car has one of two real purposes. It's either a show car, for which the safety and reliability of parts doesn't matter, or it's a car that for whatever reason, these things DO matter. As it's a four door Omega, and there aren't too many shows or museums that specialize in four door Omegas, it seems that safety and reliability might be important. The current owner may not care if the car just sits there decade after decade deteriorating, but the current owner doesn't WANT the car anymore, thus the sale. For people who may be interested in it, they apparently don't want to pay top dollar for it, because it is neither a particularly special and collectible car (beyond being a 160 mile 33 year old four door Omega) nor a car that is in road-ready condition. I think Joe's assessment is pretty accurate. No offense to you or the seller, but the current situation of the car, in collectibility, in condition, in price, and in drivability, does not appear to be arranged in such a way that will facilitate a sale. Hopefully either a new desirability emerges for four door Omegas with 160 miles, or the price comes down sufficiently for people who want a 33 year old four door with 160 miles and needing a complete going-over.

And for what it's worth, I currently own a 19 year old, 2-door RWD V8 specialty car, with 3,400 miles. While it has many more miles than this Omega, it is also a much more highly sought-after type of car, and it is 100% perfect. I'm in the process of selling it, and am having a hard time getting much more than half of its original sticker.
Old July 10th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Oh, by the way, the reserve is set below the last auctions top 6000 bid.
Might want to contact that bidder and let him know.