Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1978 Olds/Hurst 442 (1 of a kind tribute car)

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM

1978 Olds/hurst 442 (1 of a kind tribute car)

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with the W-30 olds/hurst 442 package.This car is a Frame-Off restoration professionally built tribute car built in Nashville TN by Bubba Gillbert (Grooms Performance of Nashville). THIS TRULLY IS A ONE OF A KIND! Bubba Gillbert Has built muscle cars and classics for country music artist and celebrities like Alan Jackson, George Jones and Rapper Young Buck. What makes this car so special is this car is the first year model of the G body, an era that some say was the last of the muscle cars. The W-30 wasn't produced until 1979 and Oldsmobile decided to use thier crusier A-body class the Cutlass Calais to flagship their "Olds/Hurst 442" package. The 442 package didn't come out in the higher class G-body supreme untill 83. This is the only 1978 G-body olds/hurst 442 in the country.

I HAVE THE 78 ORIGINAL FACTORY BUILD SHEET FROM GM!!!!!!!!

5.7 liter 355 rocket 350 hp the car is" house of color "satin black (this not a rattle can crap job) red disc brakes the interior is black leather and ostrich skin it has 442 guages in dash Hurst slap-shifter in the floor automatic 4 spd with bucket seat and console ( also still have the orginal bucket seats) all original wood grain dash wood grain steering wheel and running board lights this is an A/C powersteering car 20x9.5 Chrome wheels (new tires)
77,228 miles 4 barrell carb flowmaster exuast
for more info or to make an offer (just put it in the shop - to do some little things that I thought should be done to make the car perfect!) will update the pics when I get it back!
crbeecham @ gmail . com
919 - 730 - 8158

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2642708654.html.
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:37 PM

1978 Olds/Hurst 442 (1 of a kind tribute car)

1978 Olds/hurst 442 (1 of a kind tribute car)
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with the W-30 olds/hurst 442 package.This car is a Frame-Off restoration professionally built tribute car built in Nashville TN by Bubba Gillbert (Grooms Performance of Nashville). THIS TRULLY IS A ONE OF A KIND! Bubba Gillbert Has built muscle cars and classics for country music artist and celebrities like Alan Jackson, George Jones and Rapper Young Buck. What makes this car so special is this car is the first year model of the G body, an era that some say was the last of the muscle cars. The W-30 wasn't produced until 1979 and Oldsmobile decided to use thier crusier A-body class the Cutlass Calais to flagship their "Olds/Hurst 442" package. The 442 package didn't come out in the higher class G-body supreme untill 83. This is the only 1978 G-body olds/hurst 442 in the country.

I HAVE THE 78 ORIGINAL FACTORY BUILD SHEET FROM GM!!!!!!!!

5.7 liter 355 rocket 350 hp the car is" house of color "satin black (this not a rattle can crap job) red disc brakes the interior is black leather and ostrich skin it has 442 guages in dash Hurst slap-shifter in the floor automatic 4 spd with bucket seat and console ( also still have the orginal bucket seats) all original wood grain dash wood grain steering wheel and running board lights this is an A/C powersteering car 20x9.5 Chrome wheels (new tires)
77,228 miles 4 barrell carb flowmaster exuast
for more info or to make an offer (just put it in the shop - to do some little things that I thought should be done to make the car perfect!) will update the pics when I get it back!
crbeecham @ gmail . com
919 - 730 - 8158

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2642708654.html.
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:18 PM

It must truly be a "1 of a kind" as there was no '78 Oldsmobile that was a G-body. The car you have is an A-body.
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:59 PM

Are you serious? Is that your car or are you just posting a CL ad?
Only 78' Olds/Hurst 442 in the country.... lol
Last I checked I believe they made black/gold Hurst cars around 79'-80'
And the 442 didn't come back until 85-87. H/O' were 83-84
Old October 26th, 2011, 07:05 PM

Hello, thanks for sharing your car on this site.

Can you help me understand what is an Olds/Hurst?

Hard to tell from the pics but i couldnt tell what makes this a 442.

Do you have any pics of the 442 gauges? I have never seen any before.
Old October 26th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

1978?? There never was a HO option. And I noticed that the ad says it has a 355 rocket. Never heard of it. If it had a 350 in 78, it would have been the Chev H or L code engine, which was tweaked with a 4bbl to give about 160HP . If you wanted a 442 option in 1978 it had to be in the new fastback design that nobody really liked. The front styling was ok, but it lends new meaning the the term 'butt ugly'. Most buyers were turned off by the design and moved up to the Cutlass Supreme - which did not offer the 442 option.

Another bit of trivia. The 442 was available in 78 but at low numbers - 2518 units.
In 1979 there were a total of 3119 442's produced; 2499 of them HO's.
In 1980 only 886 442s were produced on the Calais body. Then there was the drought of 442 and HO production till 83.
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Aw come on guys, we cant welcome him with open arms? Good to see he made sure the post was done on as many forums on CO as possible. I dont blame him for wanting to get the word out.

This is such a unique car. It also seems to be offered at an exceptionally good price. I dont think i have ever seen a one of one car offered at such an incredible price.

Once he can clarify my questions for me i would like to send him a money order in the amount of $20,000 and am hoping he would allow me to over pay him for the car.

Old October 27th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Administrator

A tribute to ??

Good luck, remember there is an *** for every seat!!

Last edited by oldcutlass; October 27th, 2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:36 AM

Ha this place is starting to get as rough as rop !
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:29 PM

You know I am already bummed I have to sell my car. But I cant beleive when I posted it here of all places you guys just dogged me out. This a really nice Cutlass. it originally was just a supreme with a 289. But I had the motor pulled and put in a 355 out of a 76 Cutlass S. Put gauged dash in. Changed it from a shifter on column to floor hurst shifter. bucket seats and console. Spoiler on the trunk and all new hurst olds emblems. Your right it is a clone but there never was a 442 hurst olds in 78 so technically its not a clone its a tribute car. You know its sucks I have to sell my car cause I love that car but I am sick and have alot of doctor bills. So I really dont need you talking **** about it like its some peice of junk. Cause it really is a nice car and everything I have done to it, its been done right. I have a real passion for Oldsmobiles but that doesn't mean I know everything there is to know about them, so I do appreiciate any feedback you can offer me. But if you just want to be a dick cause you dont like my car doesnt mean someone else might not like to have it... no one gives a rats *** about your opinion
Old October 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by driverchoice
Ha this place is starting to get as rough as rop !
quoted as da troof
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:15 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Sorry you have to sell your car.

Next ad you make up to sell it,just list it as a modified 78 cutlass supreme.Forgot about all the W-30 Olds/Hurst 442 tribute stuff. When you advertise smoke and mirrors on a board where people really know their Oldsmobiles,you need to expect flak.

I wish you the best with your health issues.
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:22 PM
"me somebody" site member

This site has REALLY gone downhill.
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by crbeecham
You know I am already bummed I have to sell my car. I have a real passion for Oldsmobiles but that doesn't mean I know everything there is to know about them, so I do appreiciate any feedback you can offer me.
No one likes to sell a car they have put time and money into. Sorry to hear about your health. One thing I would suggest though is that you get the numbers right. In 1978, there was no 289. But if you had a small V8 it was the 262 - which I didn't care for either. I had one in my 82 Cutlass Supreme and it was a waste of a good chassis having that thing in there. Second, if you pulled a 1976 engine to install in this car - good for you. It's the right power plant IMO. But, there's no such thing as an Olds 355. It's an Olds 350. If you're claiming it has 350 HP, you'll also need a dyno sheet to prove that. So far, all I've done is point out some discrepancies that create the 'battlefront' that others will take to war, ok?

Put gauged dash in. Changed it from a shifter on column to floor hurst shifter. bucket seats and console. Spoiler on the trunk and all new hurst olds emblems. Your right it is a clone but there never was a 442 hurst olds in 78 so technically its not a clone its a tribute car.
In 78, yes there was the U16 rallye gauge + tach dash. I had one in my 78 Calais. Also had the buckets and console. There never was a spoiler option for this car though and have no idea what you got if from. The hood you've modified as a cowl induction type - creative but definitely not Olds styling. Again, these are things that you 'give' people to take aim at your car as a target.

Your right it is a clone but there never was a 442 hurst olds in 78 so technically its not a clone its a tribute car. So I really dont need you talking **** about it like its some peice of junk. Cause it really is a nice car and everything I have done to it, its been done right. I have a real passion for Oldsmobiles but that doesn't mean I know everything there is to know about them, so I do appreiciate any feedback you can offer me.
A lot of people have a passion for Oldsmobile. Some of the comments made on this post could have been done with more tact. They are however a direct response from others who also have a passion, or pure passion for Oldsmobile. IMO Your use of the word 'tribute car' misses the mark simply because a tribute is something that would replicate as closely as possible, or pay homage to not only the style, but image of the car that existed that year. IMO tribute and clone are the same. I have no question that you have a passion for building and artistic licensing. What kind of responses did you really expect from an Olds community when the car you presented claims to represeent a heritage and pedigree that didn't exist in 1978? Sometimes the feedback is a bit hard to swallow - but it's a fact of life.

Good luck with the sale of your car. I would suggest that you tell the buyer exactly what the proper engine specs, tranny, and modifications are in case they ever need to do maintenance. They will need to know that info to get parts, ok?
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
But, there's no such thing as an Olds 355. It's an Olds 350.
Actually there is, its an Olds 350 bored 0.030 over. I've heard the term used often.

In 1978, there was no 289. But if you had a small V8 it was the 262 - which I didn't care for either.
Also, I'd like to learn more about that; I've heard of the 260 Olds. Was it really 262 C.I.?
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Actually there is, its an Olds 350 bored 0.030 over. I've heard the term used often.
Also, I'd like to learn more about that; I've heard of the 260 Olds. Was it really 262 C.I.?
Re: Olds 350. I was referring to the original engine size. I guess I lead a sheltered life - I haven't heard the term Rocket 355. It would be easier to just say it's a 76 Rocket 350 bored .30 over?

Re: Olds 262? Ooops I guess I hit the 2 key twice by mistake. It is the gut wrenching, torque monster, fire breathing 260 V8. What would you like to know about it? I had the car for a year and hated the engine (not the car) so much I got rid of it. It was a 1982 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with buckets, rallye gauges, T/top, AC. The 260 started reliably and was ok for round the city trips where you do lots of stop and go driving. Off the line, well it was not fast. At least I could beat Chevettes . On the highway it would get up to cruise speed and run lower rpms, but it was already at the top end of it's torque band. If you needed to pass anything you needed to plan it a long way in advance and downhill was a good way to help get past.
I ran into a problem with oil bleeddown on the car after highway trips. After the car came in from a sustained highway trip and was bedded down for the night, the next morning when it started, it was like metal grinding on metal. Scared the hell out of me. Took it to my Olds dealer and was told that the car just needed time to cool down before shutting it off. Huh! That didn't solve the problem either. You couldn't even get anyone to steal that car. Someone did slash all the tires and bust the rear glass though.
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:38 PM

Re: Olds 350. I was referring to the original engine size. I guess I lead a sheltered life - I haven't heard the term Rocket 355. It would be easier to just say it's a 76 Rocket 350 bored .30 over?
Well, in THIS thread, no less an authority than the late Mr. Norm said it would be easier to call it a 355 (see post #10):

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...0-buildup.html

Re: Olds 262? Ooops I guess I hit the 2 key twice by mistake.
Actually, I kinda sorta figured that. Maybe you should have given the guy selling his car a break then and not quibble over a few C.I., be it a typo or a reference to an overbore.
Old October 27th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well, in THIS thread, no less an authority than the late Mr. Norm said it would be easier to call it a 355 .
Fine with that. Your reference to a deceased member of CO puts me in an awkward spot because I don't care what he said so I'll let it pass. Next time I go to the parts store I'll use the term Olds 355 and see if they can find it. If you went further into the thread, the intent was to 'help' him with a buyer. Whoever buys his car might not know the difference that you obviously do.

Actually, I kinda sorta figured that. Maybe you should have given the guy selling his car a break then and not quibble over a few C.I., be it a typo or a reference to an overbore.
FWIW, I think that my posts have been politically correct, accurate (except for a typo that I'm sure anyone could make) and have not been defamatory or misleading. He asked for feedback that would help him sell his car, and I simply responded. I think my replies have been more polite than most of the others on this thread.
"Maybe you should give a guy posting on CO a break and not quibble over a typo or a reference you don't agree with"
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:19 AM

Funny how whose who like to poke and prod are ALWAYS the most sensitive.

You suggested, and I quote:

One thing I would suggest though is that you get the numbers right.
I just suggested that maybe you do the same.

The guy wasn't at the counter of Pep Boys, he was selling his car on a forum filled with guys who are supposed to know Oldsmobiles. I didn't expect you to reflect on my suggestion, but I figured I had as much right to offer my own unsolicited advise as you do when it comes to guys selling cars you don't aprove of, think are overpriced, etc. People don't all share the same brand of your so-called "pure passion" for Oldsmobiles (whatever that is). They won't even agree on what the term "tribute car" means.

I would never suggest that you stop offering your own brand of one-sided advice to those selling their cars. I'm merely suggesting that you get your own facts straight before you question someone else's.
Old October 28th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Funny how whose who like to poke and prod are ALWAYS the most sensitive.

I figured I had as much right to offer my own unsolicited advise as you do when it comes to guys selling cars you don't aprove of, think are overpriced, etc. People don't all share the same brand of your so-called "pure passion" for Oldsmobiles (whatever that is). They won't even agree on what the term "tribute car" means.

I would never suggest that you stop offering your own brand of one-sided advice to those selling their cars. I'm merely suggesting that you get your own facts straight before you question someone else's.
It seems that just about everything I put into this thread appears to you as one sided. Based on the 'feedback' listed by other members it would appear that my comments are relatively neutral by comparison. So if being neutral offends you - I'm ok with that. I concur that not everyone shares the same opinions; so what? You're the one who's pushing it.

Nice to see you are subject to error as well. Pot, meet kettle. You also are not immune to typos (whose = those? aprove = approve?? advise = advice???) either, so that makes us even; we both knew what the intent behind the word was without taking it out of context. So how does that alter the interpretation? We both knew what was trying to be said.... And you have no idea what I approve of or think are overpriced when it comes to cars. There is nothing I posted in this thread that suggests anything to that effect about this 78 Cutlass. You are out of line.

You've never heard the term 'purist' on this forum? Someone who has a pure passion for Oldsmobile? Where everything about the car is subject to scrutiny? There are lots of folks on this forum who seem to understand that, even if you don't.

As far as getting 'facts straight', I think the entire thread would have been moot if the seller had not advertised some errors as well. As W30-dreamin stated, it could have been better worded and focused to avoid the comments that came up.

Your interpretation of poking or prodding should be self examined. Inasmuch as you feel you have the right to offer opinions, so do we all. Why haven't you lambasted the posts that have been severely critical of this ad? I think your comments have been targeted specifically at me, why haven't you 'shared' the wealth with everyone?

Sounds like 88 coupe meant a lot to you. I think the entire C.O. community agreed the car world he was part of had suffered a great loss that would not easily be replaced. Only Norm (RIP) actually had some style and good things to say from time to time, and most often his posts were technical attempts to assist other C.O. members. You on the other hand appear to be deliberately attempting to inflame or incite this discussion to an irrational level based on unwarranted assumptions and misdirected comments.

Sorry you seem easily offended or defensive about my posts; I wish you well but will not continue any dialogue with you.
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:14 AM

More blather from a seemingly endless fount.
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:39 PM

"I like cupcakes..." o_0 LOL