Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1976 98 at Mecum Kissimmee

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2011, 05:22 AM

1976 98 at Mecum Kissimmee

I saw this go by on TV yesterday. I was surprised at how little it sold for.

$7,700. I know it's not a numbers-matching, low-mileage '69 442, but still...it somehow seems like it's been disrespected.

I know some of you guys with the '70s 98s have been looking for a source of the plastic rear fender extensions/fillers. Maybe you can find out from the seller of this one where he got them, assuming they're not original. Car has 29,000 miles, so maybe they are original. But I thought these things deteriorated more with age than with mileage.

Old January 27th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Past Administrator

Oh MY! That is a nice car! I owned a '76 Regency burgundy over white with a burgundy velour interior that our family loved. My son went through high school driving that car occasionally (when I would share it). I think you are correct, the age affects the bumper fillers more than mileage. The fillers on my '77 Cutlass had to be replaced. I think it is a ultraviolet exposure thing.
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:07 AM

I saw that last night also. Unbelievably gorgeous car!! A steal at $7700 IMO.
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:13 AM

wow , very nice car, I owned one as well, black with red velor interior. I drove it while attending an inner city college, I got pulled over all the time making sure I wasn't a drug dealer or a pimp - got to be a real pain.
Old January 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Cutlass Lover

I saw that last night also. I thought for sure it would sell for higher than it did! It was a gorgeous car!! The VW Thing that sold right after it sold for a lot more money.
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Hangin' out...

Stunning car. I'd trade mine for that!
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Oldsdruid

I'd have thought this car would have brought $10g with the miles, but nobody loves big cars unless they can steal the 455 for a Cutlass.

My 76 is almost that nice and I'd be happy to get $7500 in a sale, never mind it's insured for twice that.
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Registered

I saw it too, good deal for the buyer if it was as nice as it looks and wasn't wrapped around a phone pole in an earlier life and brought back, rust ain't the only thing you have to watch out for.
There were a bunch of them that went for way lower than a few years back. I hope it isn't because a lot of people are hurting with the economy the way it is and they're all selling their cars and flooding the market.
I haven't seen a decent Vista Cruiser for sale in weeks on evilbay so it ain't them.

This H/O they're auctioning Saturday isn't somebody's former car that had the unfortunate accidental thermal event is it?
Nah, the lower fender in the pics on the Mecum page looks too funky for a fresh paint job, or do it?

ho.jpg

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...2&entryRow=786

Last edited by Bluevista; January 27th, 2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:48 AM

AWESOME!!! Gorgeous Ninety Eight! I catch that show so often and it figures I would miss this one! Maybe I can find it online or they're rerun it at some point. Honestly $7700 is a pretty good price for one of these in such nice, preserved condition. If this sold maybe 10 years ago, it would have probably been much lower. I am so happy to see that these cars are finally getting more much respect that they so deserve. These were the Oldsmobile flagship and deserve to be treated as such and thought of as "tanks" that are only good for their powerplants.

As for the fillers, I wouldn't doubt that they're original. A big part of their destuction is how the car is stored, biggest factor being the climate. The constant change of hot to cold and back again make them very brittle over time and then they start to deteriorate. If a car has been lightly used and stored in a climate controlled environment, they will likely last much longer as I would think is the case with this car. I hope it goes to a good home. There are not nearly enough out there in this kind of original condition still. I love seeing untouched cars like this. It really gives a restorer like me great visual cues on tiny little details.
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:47 PM

Thumbs up

Sorry I'm a bit late to this party; but THANKS for posting it! (I watched that televised on HD TV almost the entire weekend but I missed this one too!! ) I agree this was a steal for whomever the lucky buyer was! Damn! SORRY it wasn't me or ONE of us!! Well, maybe with any luck the new owner will find us on here and join in. Car looks awesome!

I agree that though age is a major factory on those bumper inserts; it's also very closely tied to the climate/storage conditions....HOPE this car went to a good home. These 'beautiful brutes' are finally getting more respect at shows and what not...
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:11 AM

Wow, it didn't take long for this guy to flip this 98. I just found this on ebay and although the car is GORGEOUS, it's not 100% original. The wheelcovers are completely wrong (the original PA3's were on the car in the pictures above), and the vinyl top is not original....there should also be a seam down the center of the roof from the metal trim to the other seam). Also, the quarter window trim is missing and the door panels have been cheaply repaired. OK, I'm done criticizing it but not done wishing I could buy it!! LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...fCarsQ5fTrucks
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Matthew Reader

I'm not complaining about how little these cars go for. I've noticed that the time to buy any Oldsmobile is when it is around 20 years +/-. I bought my 1957 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Coupe in 1977 for $250. This doesn't sound like much, but it was pretty steep for a running rusty project. Same goes for my 78 Toronado, bought when it was 25 years old, from original owner with 54K miles on the clock- wait for it- $2100.

For me, the hot cars to pick up now while the getting is good is ANYTHING from the 80's. The last two cars I bought were well under $1000 and needed very little- remember, I'm buying rust-free California cars, so just a little cosmetics. I can enjoy these for a few years and watch the value go up- and I really am amazed at just how many people (pedestrian non-collectors) are starting to appreciate these cars from the 80's.
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:33 PM

that's because we are getting older, you couldn't give me a 73 Cutlass or a 84 H/O 20 years ago, but now I'd take either in a heart beat and agree with you that now is the time to buy the 73 and later cars. I have read numerous times in the past that a car depreciates to its lowest point right around 10 years old, then holds steady or starts going up again. Not sure if that still holds true today but I'd guess buying a 10 - 20 year old car you would be buying at the bottom.
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Matthew Reader

I love having the stuff right before it gets to be cool, because by the time it IS cool, I've got a stockpile pf great parts, and I haven't put a whole lot of money out there to get it. I went through the 70s stuff a few years back, and sold once the value had doubled, turned that into five cars from the 80s, and now I get to watch these increase in value. I think I might be about done playing this game, because I really LOVE the 80s cars.

Hoping to find an Omega now from 80-84? If anyone knows of one, let me know!
Old February 17th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Yeah, I'm with ya! I hadn't really thought about it; but you're right -- whenever I have my "Family Heirloom" Ninety-Eights from the 80s they DO turn heads and garner comments and "GOSH! My Parents HAD one of those!!..>" The Nostalgia quotient you know?? Pretty neat and only 5 years ago NO one would look twice; unless they were an "Olds Person!"

That 98 Coupe IS cool; funny how SOME people just buy 'em to flip 'em! I won't shed any tears if he loses some $$ on it either...
Originally Posted by PalmSpringsOlds
I'm not complaining about how little these cars go for. I've noticed that the time to buy any Oldsmobile is when it is around 20 years +/-. I bought my 1957 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Coupe in 1977 for $250. This doesn't sound like much, but it was pretty steep for a running rusty project. Same goes for my 78 Toronado, bought when it was 25 years old, from original owner with 54K miles on the clock- wait for it- $2100.

For me, the hot cars to pick up now while the getting is good is ANYTHING from the 80's. The last two cars I bought were well under $1000 and needed very little- remember, I'm buying rust-free California cars, so just a little cosmetics. I can enjoy these for a few years and watch the value go up- and I really am amazed at just how many people (pedestrian non-collectors) are starting to appreciate these cars from the 80's.
Old February 19th, 2011, 07:18 AM

AWSOME!
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:44 PM

Wow! This thing is already up to 10Grand and I THINK it says "Reserve STILL not met?!" (this guy is REALLY looking to make some BANK off this car! But; as some of us have said -- he really STOLE the thing @ just 7,770 anyway; we'll see where it tops out at! He DID do his photos of it up right though; he's going 'PRIME-TIME' on the presentation!! )
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:24 PM

Hey! John,

If you or someone you know is interested I have a 76 Olds 98 4dr For Sale. Silver/Silver with black leather loaded - loaded!!! It only has 14,187 miles on it. It's a true time capsule. Asking $16,995.00 obo. My name is Jeff Croce. I can be reach by phone (610) 659-2743 or email paceindy77@yahoo.com I also have more Oldsmobile's For Sale. Alot of these cars are dealer cars with low low miles.
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:20 AM

Hey Jeff,

Wow that sounds like a gorgeous 98! As much as I would LOVE to take it off your hands, I can't quite spend that kind of money, especially since I already have 2 98's! Definitely post some pics of this car and the other Oldsmobiles you have for sale. Do you also sell parts or just complete cars? I have a few items I am looking for.

PS..are you the one selling the silver 98 coupe in this post?
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I saw it too, good deal for the buyer if it was as nice as it looks and wasn't wrapped around a phone pole in an earlier life and brought back, rust ain't the only thing you have to watch out for.
There were a bunch of them that went for way lower than a few years back. I hope it isn't because a lot of people are hurting with the economy the way it is and they're all selling their cars and flooding the market.
I haven't seen a decent Vista Cruiser for sale in weeks on evilbay so it ain't them.

This H/O they're auctioning Saturday isn't somebody's former car that had the unfortunate accidental thermal event is it?
Nah, the lower fender in the pics on the Mecum page looks too funky for a fresh paint job, or do it?

I hate it when people put the wrong decal (H/O 455) on the wrong side!
http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...2&entryRow=786
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I'd have thought this car would have brought $10g with the miles, but nobody loves big cars unless they can steal the 455 for a Cutlass.

My 76 is almost that nice and I'd be happy to get $7500 in a sale, never mind it's insured for twice that.
I remember over a decade ago, you got a great deal on your 98!
Old March 12th, 2011, 10:55 AM

Funny, nobodywants to give anything for my 1985 Buick Riveria(Olds 307 motor).
Old March 14th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Matthew Reader

Originally Posted by toro68
Funny, nobodywants to give anything for my 1985 Buick Riveria(Olds 307 motor).
Photos? Where at? I know LOTS of people who would love a Riviera!
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM

Yeah, DITTO! Where's the pictures of any of these cars?? (Jeff aka PaceIndy????... )
Old March 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
Wow, it didn't take long for this guy to flip this 98. I just found this on ebay and although the car is GORGEOUS, it's not 100% original. The wheelcovers are completely wrong (the original PA3's were on the car in the pictures above), and the vinyl top is not original....there should also be a seam down the center of the roof from the metal trim to the other seam). Also, the quarter window trim is missing and the door panels have been cheaply repaired. OK, I'm done criticizing it but not done wishing I could buy it!! LOL

That guy listed that car several times til he finally sold it... I wondered when I first saw that one, if he realized that those hubcaps will scrape the inner side of the fender shirts when the body of the car twists the least bit.... I too noticed the vinyl top and a few other things on that car....

This guy had a 1970 and 1973 Ninety-Eight on his listing around the same time.... He had both those priced around 10-11k.... i've noticed all his car pics are taken in front of a house about the size of my entire neighborhood... No wonder 10 grand wasn't enough to buy that 76..
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:23 PM

Apparently when it flipped, it flopped right back over on top of him....

Its back on the market... Sale must have went south... Poor guy don't you just feel sorry for him....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item20b81c789e
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:02 PM

GOOD Eye 'Stranger!' did anybody catch IF this did finally sell again on this last go-round on Ebay a couple/few weeks back?? (I was GONE on vacation and didnt' check in on anything Automotive often enough! )
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
GOOD Eye 'Stranger!' did anybody catch IF this did finally sell again on this last go-round on Ebay a couple/few weeks back?? (I was GONE on vacation and didnt' check in on anything Automotive often enough! )
Just found it... It didn't sell again, didn't make reserve - went to $7100... But I'm sure it will resurface in a few days as a "JUST ARRIVED" model from that seller...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-...item1c1ad7587a

This is under "completed listings"...
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:00 AM

the '76 Ninety-Eight in Florida "just arrived" again... Isn't that something how a car can "just arrive" so many times...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item1c1b290fa0
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:17 PM

"JUST Arrived...THIS time!!" LOL!! WTH!? You just GOT to wonder sometimes! Too funny; it's ashame someone who would've APPRECIATE this car in the first place couldn't have gotten it! Oh well...the Bid Goes on I guess....

Originally Posted by stranger
the '76 Ninety-Eight in Florida "just arrived" again... Isn't that something how a car can "just arrive" so many times...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsm...item1c1b290fa0
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:26 PM

If you go on to CarDomain.com, look for a white 1985 Buick Riveria.
Or if you click on the CarDoamin link under the picutre of my red Toronado, there should been a listing (off to the left) of my past and present cars.
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM

Here is the link on the Riveria:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/297202...-buick-riviera
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
"JUST Arrived...THIS time!!" LOL!! WTH!? You just GOT to wonder sometimes! Too funny; it's ashame someone who would've APPRECIATE this car in the first place couldn't have gotten it! Oh well...the Bid Goes on I guess....
true that!! I realize that if you're selling a car on ebay, and it doesn't sell the first couple times, why not "re-word" your listing... Does that seller think that people are actually that stupid?
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM

For Sale 455 4 Door 76

My dads selling his 76 Regency, 455 with 38,000 miles 5 grand takes it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0016.JPG (275.9 KB, 13 views)
PICT0015.JPG (264.6 KB, 15 views)
PICT0012.JPG (285.3 KB, 18 views)
PICT0013.JPG (345.5 KB, 11 views)
PICT0018.JPG (234.0 KB, 16 views)
Old May 5th, 2011, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by BlueBirds
My dads selling his 76 Regency, 455 with 38,000 miles 5 grand takes it!
If I had known about this, I would have sold off my truck instead of trading it in for another vehicle... The truck needed repairs and instead of investing more and more on it, figured it was cheaper to trade... But I could have sold it to the place I bought my Buick...
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:05 PM

Bluebirds, Where is the car located? Is there any rust/damage? Looks like a very clean/nice car. Anything we should know about it?
Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2011, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Bluebirds, Where is the car located? Is there any rust/damage? Looks like a very clean/nice car. Anything we should know about it?
Thanks.
From his pics, I think this his car on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...item1c1b809ac7
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by stranger
From his pics, I think this his car on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...item1c1b809ac7
Yep, that's definitely the car but starting the bidding at $4900 isn't going to attract a lot of bidders.

Also, the "super rare 455 option" is a little misleading. There was no optional engine, it was thd 455 in '76 or you opted for a different car. It was optional in '75 over the 400, not in '76.

It does look like a nice original car though. I'm really happy to see that there are some nice survivors out there.
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:59 AM

Yep, that's definitely the car but starting the bidding at $4900 isn't going to attract a lot of bidders.

Also, the "super rare 455 option" is a little misleading. There was no optional engine, it was thd 455 in '76 or you opted for a different car. It was optional in '75 over the 400, not in '76.

It does look like a nice original car though. I'm really happy to see that there are some nice survivors out there.
Its my dads car. I'm a Pontiac guy and the 455 back then was the rare, top option on the checklist. This first exposure to Ebay is just a gauge to see what kind of interest there is.
Old May 6th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBirds
Its my dads car. I'm a Pontiac guy and the 455 back then was the rare, top option on the checklist. This first exposure to Ebay is just a gauge to see what kind of interest there is.

Hey bluebird,

I'm sure you'll get a good amount of response on the car because the mileage is low and it looks like a straight original one which is getting harder to come by. I hope you get a good price for it. These cars should fetch more than they have in the past because they are some of the last true American classics and really are quality made, reliable luxury cruisers.

Good luck with the sale. I wish I had the money and space for it.

John