Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1974 HURST PROJECT $7.9K (not mine)

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2021, 11:29 PM

1974 HURST PROJECT $7.9K (not mine)

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...272251891.html
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:15 AM

Overpriced by 50%. Maybe it will sell, when restored, for 50k, like he says, and I doubt it, but it will take 40 to get it there.
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:32 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Koda
Overpriced by 50%. Maybe it will sell, when restored, for 50k, like he says, and I doubt it, but it will take 40 to get it there.
Agree, and possibly closer to $80K, '73-7 parts availability being what it is. I wouldn't take that on if you gave it to me. Unless I owned a shop -- then, maybe.
Old February 9th, 2021, 07:44 AM
Banned

Looks like deal at 2500 max. Worth 50k done? Yeah good luck with that. Finding parts for that car would be so difficult. I do like the black and gold over the white and gold. Do 74's have the swivel buckets or is that just 73? Hard to tell but the car actually looks pretty straight. Man that car looks like it has sat for a long long time.

1974 Hurst Olds W30 - $7,900

image 1 of 10

1973 Olds Hurst W30

fuel: gas
odometer: 79123
title status: clean
transmission: automatic
EXTREMELY RARE, only 1800 produced in 74, only 380 with the W-30 option, 455, turbo 400, tilt, power windows, AC, bucket seats, console, last chance to own a Classic that when restored will sell for over 50Kwill consider trades and cash, does not run, best offer

Last edited by no1oldsfan; February 9th, 2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old February 9th, 2021, 08:43 AM

My question is..have these ever sold for $50k in the past? That seems to be strong money and there are a lot of other options out there at that price.
Old February 9th, 2021, 08:48 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by steedaq
My question is..have these ever sold for $50k in the past?
You mean the seller may have overstated the car's value? Inconceivable!
Old February 9th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
You mean the seller may have overstated the car's value? Inconceivable!
I actually don’t know and was curious? I was wondering if there was a sale he was going off of? Crazy not that long ago finished examples were under $20k.
Old February 9th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by steedaq
I actually don’t know and was curious? I was wondering if there was a sale he was going off of? Crazy not that long ago finished examples were under $20k.
I realize that I was being facetious, but I honestly believe that the seller's estimate is high by about double. I've never seen one of those cars go for over $25K.
Old February 9th, 2021, 03:17 PM

This one sold for 40K hammer price total 44K with commission. This car belonged to a friend of mine and was really nice so not much hope you could get $7900 out of the project car.

https://barrett-jackson.com/Events/E...ST-W-30-243249
Old February 9th, 2021, 04:07 PM

i know of a white one that has been sitting outside on the dirt for what i would guess is 20 yrs,swiss cheese doesn't even begin to describe the roof and thehood also has major rust so about the only things worth anything is the h/o emblems.
Old February 9th, 2021, 09:18 PM
Oldsdruid

Not even with a Festival Car provenance. Too much CRITICAL stuff is missing, and the stuff is tough to find.
Old February 10th, 2021, 07:19 AM

Meh, He is asking 7900.00 like everything I am sure he knows he is not getting that. but If you put an ad up for 3500.00 everyone will think they can get it for 1200.00
If it was me, and I was to buy it, I would turn it into what most guys did the 2nd day they owned it.
I would not even try to being it back to factory correct original.
Build it into a fun to DRIVE car. And drive the wheels off it. Not every car needs to be a 100 point correct to chalk mark resto.
Old February 10th, 2021, 11:52 AM

With the exception of rare parts, it takes just as much money to restore a car incorrectly as it does to do it right. The work is the same.
Old February 10th, 2021, 04:58 PM
Banned

I have to agree. Still expensive no matter which way you go.

I am sick and tired honestly of auction car prices. So many of those purchases are bought by clueless people with a check book. Half of them easy will never be enjoyed for what they are.
Old February 11th, 2021, 01:07 AM

With the exception of rare parts, it takes just as much money to restore a car incorrectly as it does to do it right. The work is the same.
A fun driver does not need to cost that much. YOUR high school rides did not cost that much and you were fine with bad paint, chips, interior that was well worn.
Seems many forget , or they always had show cars .
That car in the ad, get it running, driving, and safe, add a stereo. maybe a set of cheap used wheels and drive it. as is.
Having fun and no worries about a shopping cart or a numb nut that swings their vehicles door into it.
It is the black sheep of the Collector hobby anyways being a 73-77 car. make it a beater sleeper and have miles of fun in it.
Laughing at those that trailer their junk because it might get a rock chip in the paint. or lose value putting miles on it.
I would clean it up, make it safe, get the thing running, put a set of centerline autodrags on it and cheap tires. a pawn shop cheap stereo. and speakers, and drive the wheels off it. Then maybe over the first winter pull the 455 and transmission and do a down and dirty rebuild , adding a cam and a used intake, And maybe a 150 shot in the arm.
Then enjoy it all driving season.
Again, not everything needs to be restored to a level that cost an arm and a leg, or twice or more than it is worth.
Best part is when you roll into a drag strip and make the restored cars look silly.
Old February 11th, 2021, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Grayghost
A fun driver does not need to cost that much. YOUR high school rides did not cost that much and you were fine with bad paint, chips, interior that was well worn.
That car in the ad, get it running, driving, and safe, add a stereo. maybe a set of cheap used wheels and drive it. as is.
Having fun and no worries about a shopping cart or a numb nut that swings their vehicles door into it.
It is the black sheep of the Collector hobby anyways being a 73-77 car. make it a beater sleeper and have miles of fun in it.
Laughing at those that trailer their junk because it might get a rock chip in the paint. or lose value putting miles on it.
I would clean it up, make it safe, get the thing running, put a set of centerline autodrags on it and cheap tires. a pawn shop cheap stereo. and speakers, and drive the wheels off it. Then maybe over the first winter pull the 455 and transmission and do a down and dirty rebuild , adding a cam and a used intake, And maybe a 150 shot in the arm.
Again, not everything needs to be restored to a level that cost an arm and a leg, or twice or more than it is worth.
Best part is when you roll into a drag strip and make the restored cars look silly.
You have no idea what I drove in high school.

Last edited by Koda; February 11th, 2021 at 08:10 AM.
Old February 11th, 2021, 07:59 AM
Banned

I would give that car a new drive train and drive as is. Freshen up the interior etc. Still take a fair amount of cash but buy it for the right price. 7900?? Yeah not so much. 74 Hurst Olds rat rod.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; February 11th, 2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old February 11th, 2021, 08:04 AM
Oldsdruid

That mentality is exactly why most 74 H/Os end up in the shape this one is in.

Hurst/Olds are one of those cars that usually fared pretty well as long as they were in the hands of their original owners. Once they hit the used car pipeline all bets were off.

I own a 74 with Festival Car provenance and try to keep up with 73-75 pricing. This one with all the missing stuff is probably worth 1/3 what he's asking, and for it to be a $50k car would take $60k on top of purchase price. Should it get another chance? One of 380, yes. But it would have to be because you love the cars, not because you think you'd make out flipping it. And if a flipper gets this car I can guarantee any restoration it got would be done half-assed.
Old February 11th, 2021, 04:14 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Me either, but I'd like to hear about it sometime.
Old February 11th, 2021, 06:32 PM

100% agree!

Don't even get me started on the over-restored cars. These cars were painted with enamel or poly, now restorers are block sanding these cars for 100 hours or more and laying on modern paints with multiple clear coats...to each his own but put me in the driving camp.
Old February 12th, 2021, 02:54 AM

Don't care, if it was a new car or a show car. My point stands most high school cars were not perfect. or a show car.
The whole point was lost on you. Where I am from every high school kid or just out of high school with first job or off to college had cars that they were happy with that had dings, dents, tired paint, tired interior, but drove the wheels of it.
Maybe daddy bought you a new car while you were in high school. if so ,good for you. For the other 98% of those in school or just out of it. it was a used up pos beater that we built up.
They drove a car just like the one in the ad. and fixed it, got it on the road and worked on it when they had the funds too.
And didn't say, I can't be seen in this till I repaint it, and make the interior mint. My ride looked far worse than the one in the ad. from snow and winters, did not care. bought it,(40.00) fixed it. drove it and made it better as funds allowed. it was never perfect and no one cared. It was fun, and drove the wheels off of it.
There was a reason when the hobby started the "hopped up" cars were called jalopies, Seems many forget this. Most started with stuff like in the ad a rolling pos.
Something most in this hobby FORGOT. as their cars hide in a garage or warehouse only to have 100-250 miles or less put on them.
I was never a fan of garage queens. not then, not now. If you want something to look at, buy a 1:24th diecast.
Car are ment to be driven. Muscle cars are ment to be driven HARD. Not like a nun on sunday on way to church, sadly that is how most are used today IF they are used. My opinion and you don't have to agree, it is very sad when people buy the higher h/p muscle models then never drive them, or never crack open the secondaries and run it through the gears HARD, and often.
Might as well have the 260/350 v8 2 barrel model.

You know why I sold my 1970 Judges and bought a mid 70's car ? I was sick of hearing the rightous telling me, I need to stop putting miles on it. I need to put the factory radio back in, Take the Aftermarket intake off it, Take the wrong tires off it, and go get the "correct" tires. I was a crappy owner because my under hood did not look like it was never driven and did not look factory new. It looked like a car that was driven OMG not that. I had the wrong steering wheel on it. blah, blah, blah.
I drove mine, while the rest would unload their cars in a lot a 1/2 mile down the road and drive it at under 20 mph into the show field . Then after the event drive it to the waiting trailer and load it back up.
I was sick of hearing that crap, so I put the factory parts back on it that I had in my basement, And sold it. Then bought a mid 70's olds. Now I get , they rarely see one of these , and never a peep about the stereo, the failing needs to be replaced vinyl roof, or paint that is tired, or the under hood not 100 point correct or perfectly clean. I get to drive the wheels of it, and no one is going to say, I am killing the value of it by "gasp" driving it. It isn't as fast as the judge "yet" but it will be faster. and it handles much better than a factory Judge could ever dream of doing. Best part I get no static from the rightous blow hards now. That when I had my Judge told me how I should use it, and what I was allowed (in their eyes) to do to it. That crap is why I tend to skip the car shows that you park on a lawn/field . As it is full of people that like nothing more than to tell you how you should enjoy your vehicle, and are far from shy about it. I will take the guy at a gas station that says he used to own one, then talk about the one he owned while looking at my Olds. He might get the facts wrong, or stretch his tale a little, but he isn't telling me how I should enjoy my vehicle or what I can or can't do to it.

Last edited by Grayghost; February 12th, 2021 at 03:36 AM.
Old February 12th, 2021, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by NilesMike
100% agree!

Don't even get me started on the over-restored cars. These cars were painted with enamel or poly, now restorers are block sanding these cars for 100 hours or more and laying on modern paints with multiple clear coats...to each his own but put me in the driving camp.
I like when they worry about panel gaps. These people clearly never had or seen a factory car off a production line.
Most That worked in fisher body plants will tell you, That n.o.s. body part you spend big money for, is a factory line reject. Meaning the workers on the line rejected it because it did not fit correctly.
Part of the reason the youth of today are not into muscle cars is they never see them, they are hidden away in a garage and come out a few times a year. If that was the way it was when I was a kid. I most likely never got into cars . But there were everywhere, the returning service men's jalopy hot rods, the factory hot cars and the lesser models that the owner made faster or at least looked and sounded the part.

Last edited by Grayghost; February 12th, 2021 at 03:45 AM.
Old February 12th, 2021, 08:13 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I'd like to think that I've made some progress in life since high school, so I can have a nicer car if I want to.
Old February 12th, 2021, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
That mentality is exactly why most 74 H/Os end up in the shape this one is in.

Hurst/Olds are one of those cars that usually fared pretty well as long as they were in the hands of their original owners. Once they hit the used car pipeline all bets were off.

I own a 74 with Festival Car provenance and try to keep up with 73-75 pricing. This one with all the missing stuff is probably worth 1/3 what he's asking, and for it to be a $50k car would take $60k on top of purchase price. Should it get another chance? One of 380, yes. But it would have to be because you love the cars, not because you think you'd make out flipping it. And if a flipper gets this car I can guarantee any restoration it got would be done half-assed.
I am not the one that made the 73-77 a body cars the kicking mule of the hobby. It is just the way it was,is.
These cars got no love, because the earlier cars did not need to pass emissions, or deal with the converter.
The problem now, is too many are blinded by the need to restore it to factory fresh and it cost more than it is worth, So it will sit.
My point, is not all cars even H/O need to be restored back to factory fresh.
I would rather some kid or guy/gal got it back on the road and enjoyed it, than it becoming nothing more than a parts source for others to take some parts and junk the rest.
But I am the odd man out in the hobby. I rather see them driven and driven hard.
Than sit with a place card in front of it on a week end day. then parked for months.
To me, I would make it a driver and work in progress and drive the wheels off it.
Not worrying about it being chalk mark perfect. or dumping 50k into it.
If I want to look at a vehicle I buy a 1:24th diecast . I know silly me wanting to drive them and use them in the way they were built for.
They were not build to sit on a car show field then crawl back into a garage.
If it is one of 380. does it matter if there is only 50 guys that want one?
That is why it got to the point it sits in today. It is also why If you take 2 cars, both cutlasses , both "S" models. both powered by a 350 olds, both with the same options. Both in the same shape, same color outside and interior but one is a 1970 and the other a 1975.
The 1970is 10k more. As there are more people that want a 70 over the 75.
Same with this H/O. There are not enough people looking for a clean one or a restored one. So this one in my opinion, that you don't have to like or agree with. I would get it on the road, and drive it, work on it while enjoying it. and not try to take it back to factory original. As the guy/gal looking for one of the 380 will buy the low mile one long before a restored one.
The hobby picks the winners and losers , I don't. I would rather see it used and enjoyed than sit another decade hoping someone just has to have THIS one, instead of any of the other ones that were saved because people were betting they go up in value and never drove them.

Last edited by Grayghost; February 12th, 2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old February 12th, 2021, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
I'd like to think that I've made some progress in life since high school, so I can have a nicer car if I want to.
You do know there are folks that have a family and put those needs first. but like to have a old car to tinker with.
Or gasp a kid in middle school or high school that want a old car as a father and son project.
I can afford to buy or build a 50k car. I choose not too. My mid 70's car that I will have maybe 11k into will give me just as much enjoyment as a 45k 1969 442 convert. or a new Muscle/pony car.

Old February 12th, 2021, 11:00 AM

Don't care, if it was a new car or a show car. My point stands most high school cars were not perfect. or a show car.
The whole point was lost on you. Where I am from every high school kid or just out of high school with first job or off to college had cars that they were happy with that had dings, dents, tired paint, tired interior, but drove the wheels of it.
Maybe daddy bought you a new car while you were in high school. if so ,good for you. For the other 98% of those in school or just out of it. it was a used up pos beater that we built up.
They drove a car just like the one in the ad. and fixed it, got it on the road and worked on it when they had the funds too.
And didn't say, I can't be seen in this till I repaint it, and make the interior mint. My ride looked far worse than the one in the ad. from snow and winters, did not care. bought it,(40.00) fixed it. drove it and made it better as funds allowed. it was never perfect and no one cared. It was fun, and drove the wheels off of it.
There was a reason when the hobby started the "hopped up" cars were called jalopies, Seems many forget this. Most started with stuff like in the ad a rolling pos.
Something most in this hobby FORGOT. as their cars hide in a garage or warehouse only to have 100-250 miles or less put on them.
I was never a fan of garage queens. not then, not now. If you want something to look at, buy a 1:24th diecast.
Car are ment to be driven. Muscle cars are ment to be driven HARD. Not like a nun on sunday on way to church, sadly that is how most are used today IF they are used. My opinion and you don't have to agree, it is very sad when people buy the higher h/p muscle models then never drive them, or never crack open the secondaries and run it through the gears HARD, and often.
Might as well have the 260/350 v8 2 barrel model.

You know why I sold my 1970 Judges and bought a mid 70's car ? I was sick of hearing the rightous telling me, I need to stop putting miles on it. I need to put the factory radio back in, Take the Aftermarket intake off it, Take the wrong tires off it, and go get the "correct" tires. I was a crappy owner because my under hood did not look like it was never driven and did not look factory new. It looked like a car that was driven OMG not that. I had the wrong steering wheel on it. blah, blah, blah.
I drove mine, while the rest would unload their cars in a lot a 1/2 mile down the road and drive it at under 20 mph into the show field . Then after the event drive it to the waiting trailer and load it back up.
I was sick of hearing that crap, so I put the factory parts back on it that I had in my basement, And sold it. Then bought a mid 70's olds. Now I get , they rarely see one of these , and never a peep about the stereo, the failing needs to be replaced vinyl roof, or paint that is tired, or the under hood not 100 point correct or perfectly clean. I get to drive the wheels of it, and no one is going to say, I am killing the value of it by "gasp" driving it. It isn't as fast as the judge "yet" but it will be faster. and it handles much better than a factory Judge could ever dream of doing. Best part I get no static from the rightous blow hards now. That when I had my Judge told me how I should use it, and what I was allowed (in their eyes) to do to it. That crap is why I tend to skip the car shows that you park on a lawn/field . As it is full of people that like nothing more than to tell you how you should enjoy your vehicle, and are far from shy about it. I will take the guy at a gas station that says he used to own one, then talk about the one he owned while looking at my Olds. He might get the facts wrong, or stretch his tale a little, but he isn't telling me how I should enjoy my vehicle or what I can or can't do to it.
Dude, please calm down. You've been here a month, made like 200 posts, and about a third of them are you complaining about something or getting angry. The reason I said you have no idea what I drove in high school is that you need to back it down a few notches. Write the rant, but then think about it for a few min before submitting.
Old February 12th, 2021, 05:03 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Write the rant, but then think about it for a few min before submitting.
There's some advice I wish I'd taken on more than one occasion.
Old February 12th, 2021, 05:45 PM

Spoiler

Old February 12th, 2021, 07:33 PM

The problem with the 73-77 body style wasn't that they were slow but that they were aesthetically unappealing, or in other words, ugly.

It wasn't until 1983 and the G-Body that the styling came back and the cars were appealing again. Still slow, but at least appealing.

Old February 12th, 2021, 07:42 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by Gmcdually
Spoiler

And the rarest color combination too!😋

If I were stupid I'd grab that and have a white/white top/black targa and a black/black top/white targa.

Then I'd have to find it somewhere to live or throw out about half what's in the garage!
Old February 12th, 2021, 07:56 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by pettrix
The problem with the 73-77 body style wasn't that they were slow but that they were aesthetically unappealing, or in other words, ugly.

It wasn't until 1983 and the G-Body that the styling came back and the cars were appealing again. Still slow, but at least appealing.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'll take a Colonnade over a G or AH any day. Never really warmed up to the downsized Cutli. They do look better than what came after though.
Old February 13th, 2021, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
And the rarest color combination too!😋

If I were stupid I'd grab that and have a white/white top/black targa and a black/black top/white targa.

Then I'd have to find it somewhere to live or throw out about half what's in the garage!

Old February 13th, 2021, 02:07 PM

Here is one I removed some minor parts from , most of the important ones still there , will let go for a more reasonable price if interested
Old February 16th, 2021, 08:27 AM

You do know there are folks that have a family and put those needs first. but like to have a old car to tinker with.
Or gasp a kid in middle school or high school that want a old car as a father and son project.
I can afford to buy or build a 50k car. I choose not too. My mid 70's car that I will have maybe 11k into will give me just as much enjoyment as a 45k 1969 442 convert. or a new Muscle/pony car.
Rant on i love it! You know you are right! I still street drive my 1970 442. No it is not painted yet! Still in factory color! Back half that is front is primer. 👍
Old February 16th, 2021, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Gmcdually
Here is one I removed some minor parts from , most of the important ones still there , will let go for a more reasonable price if interested
What you calling reasonable?
Old February 16th, 2021, 10:14 AM

Grayghost, i couldnt appreciate more of your posts on this thread. People are too obsessed and scared about value of their cars. Since when this hobby became a parade of shareholders, and not the people enjoying about cars for what they are, be it from 50's or 90's? Everyone has their own tastes, like me, i think the "classic" GM A-bodies around 1970 dont look too good. Heck, gen1 Dodge Charger IMO is the best looking iteration ever from those. Gen2? Yuck.

Old February 16th, 2021, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
what you calling reasonable?
Old February 16th, 2021, 08:37 PM
Banned

Much more realistic price. Interior complete? Dual gate still?
Old February 17th, 2021, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
Grayghost, i couldnt appreciate more of your posts on this thread. People are too obsessed and scared about value of their cars. Since when this hobby became a parade of shareholders, and not the people enjoying about cars for what they are, be it from 50's or 90's? Everyone has their own tastes, like me, i think the "classic" GM A-bodies around 1970 dont look too good. Heck, gen1 Dodge Charger IMO is the best looking iteration ever from those. Gen2? Yuck.
Thanks,
It just burns me to the core.
In 2019 before the year of the lock downs. I took my Grand kids to a few car shows and cruises.
They asked why they don't see them on the road all that much. I said that the owners are afraid it might get hit or get rock chips and lower it's "value"
The oldest at almost 15 at the time ,Chimed in. Don't they have insurance? I said yes.
He then said, but they drive a 50-90 thousand dollar car or truck and don't worry about it getting hit or dropping in value.
His parents had been looking at trucks/ full sized SUV's and he saw the stickers on the windows .
I tried to explain that older vehicles are not as easy to replace. He came back with. We just left a show with over a dozen of each.
Cutlasses/chevelles/ mustangs/ camaro's,chargers, monty carlos,t birds, etc.
Yup, I had nothing. A FIFTEEN year old figured this out on his own. Smart kid.

Last edited by Grayghost; February 17th, 2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old February 17th, 2021, 05:36 PM

I had a 76 in Highschool. Really liked the earlier cars with the 455.
If this car was local, and I thought I could make a deal on it, I would consider it.
But I have my Vista in the drive, now and no room for anything else.
I like this body style better than the square boxes of the 78-up cars.
Only car of that generation I'd have is a T-Type or Gran National.