Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1969 H/O eBay $59,999 (not mine)

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2020, 06:30 AM

1969 H/O eBay $59,999 (not mine)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Oldsmo...h/184483066216

Did the 69 hurst olds come with steering wheel options? I see a different one on this car, also are the H/O emblems on the front fender set too low? I'm not trying to nit pick just curious. I love the car either way.

Last edited by tt455; October 11th, 2020 at 06:33 AM.
Old October 11th, 2020, 06:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Where to begin?

Nice fitment of the front bumper to the fenders.
The allegedly "numbers matching" engine has incorrect C heads
Aftermarket generic master cylinder (with outlet ports on both sides) and booster.
Incorrect alternator.
Incorrect gold stripes on the headrests (there should be white pinstripes along the edges).
And yeah, the fender emblem location.

That is the normal 1969 steering wheel. The three spoke N34 wheel was an option that was not standard on the H/O.

Old October 11th, 2020, 07:23 AM

That's a 1970 -71 steering wheel, '69 should look like this:

Old October 11th, 2020, 07:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocket Launcher
That's a 1970 -71 steering wheel, '69 should look like this:

You're right, thanks. Coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
The N34 was still optional in the H/O, however.
Old October 11th, 2020, 08:20 AM

I just went out to look at the head rests on my car. My car does not have the white stripes on the side of the gold and I know they were never touched. I also had a "69" H/O back in 1972 when I was in High School that car also did not have the white stripes. I believe that some got them and some did not depending on the day and who was painting the head rests. That car is missing some very expensive items.
Old October 11th, 2020, 08:22 AM

It is car number 463 based on the VIN.

Headrest stripes may well be correct in arrangement, but not in color. They're too light for one. The early cars had a white underlayment under the original gold stripes (mine has this). The prototype had this too but the white paint was a tad wider than the gold. So the effect looked like white pinstripes on either side of the gold. Later on, they abandoned the white part altogether and just started painting the gold directly on the headrests. Most of the stripe painting was just ok, but they were very lax in taping stuff off where they didn't want gold overspray. I have some on the headrest stems, too.

The H/O emblems are placed a bit low, IMO. They must have had a spec for them, but generally speaking, that must have had a wide variation. Looks weird. They're repro emblems anyway based on the trunk emblem, so who knows?

The steering wheel is a 70 as pointed out, someone perhaps swapped it out for the 3 spoke that looked a bit neater, IMO. I like the 70 look better than the 69 one anyway.

These aren't deal-busters, but there are some incorrect things on the car based on the pictures. Obviously the gold stripes are the wrong color. The air cleaner flapper lid should be phosphate coated, not simply painted black. Air cleaner should have an OW code ALL GM decal. This one has the PP one which technically is incorrect. Again, as noted, the alternator is incorrect, as well as the brake M/C, although these can be found and fixed if desired. It does appear to have the correct style PCV valve location, although the manifold number would need to be checked just to be sure (405233). Can't tell the distributor number from here, but from the factory they all had the 1111973 distributors. The replacement was the 989 from the W-32 per the parts books. Although it does seem to have the C heads, I wonder if the block VIN actually matches? The stripes were painted on the car "incorrectly" as the stripes went on the car with all the trim installed. But most painters put the stripes on that the fender/door/quarter trim covers up a little bit.

NONE were produced with a 3.08 as claimed in the writeup. 3.23 with A/C. 3.42 without, and 3.91 optional without A/C. So someone cannibalized this car. It will take some work to get this "correct" again if you want to show it correctly, but if the rest of it is in good shape, it would make a great driver 69 just the way it is. Not sure about that injection crap. Didn't say anything about the transmission matching anything either. Those are some bigger deals when starting to pay this kind of money for these cars. JMO.

What concerns me is there are no pictures of the driver's side body. What's the deal? No 360 views here. Hmmm.

Old October 11th, 2020, 09:02 AM

"What concerns me is there are no pictures of the driver's side body. What's the deal? No 360 views here. Hmmm."
If you look under item description then click on full size photos , there are more pics including drivers side.

Last edited by tt455; October 11th, 2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old October 11th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tt455
"What concerns me is there are no pictures of the driver's side body. What's the deal? No 360 views here. Hmmm."
If you look under item description then click on full size photos , there are more pics including drivers side.
^^^This. Ebay has a limit on the number of photos that can be attached directly to the ad. The rest are in the link below.

Mine has the white stripe on the headrest.
Old October 11th, 2020, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Guy Fillinger
I just went out to look at the head rests on my car. My car does not have the white stripes on the side of the gold and I know they were never touched. I also had a "69" H/O back in 1972 when I was in High School that car also did not have the white stripes. I believe that some got them and some did not depending on the day and who was painting the head rests. That car is missing some very expensive items.
mine doesnt have them either. Ive seen it both ways.
Old October 11th, 2020, 10:13 AM

H/o

Mine never had the white trim on headrest either. Interesting fact though.

Pic of steering column seems odd too but maybe deceived by looking at pic from a phone.
Old October 11th, 2020, 01:09 PM

Ah, the vmp link or whatever it was kept not showing up, so I couldn't see any extra pics. I finally got it to work. Block looks early enough via the sans serif F, so it's possible to be the correct block, but who knows for sure? It would need more investigating.

I still like it as a cruiser, but for show correct car, there's a lot more needing to be done. A lot more. To get the D heads, just on average based on prices I've seen, you're looking about 5K-ish just to fix that issue, let along whether it's an OH transmission or not. So if the block isn't numbers matching, and transmission isn't numbers matching, the 3.08 rear has already been scrambled perhaps, the drivetrain may not even be original to the car, and that would affect the price I personally would pay. Generally nice for 50+ years, but I think there's some other stuff to be concerned with if you do a little digging.
Old October 11th, 2020, 03:17 PM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by lew69442
Mine never had the white trim on headrest either. Interesting fact though.

Pic of steering column seems odd too but maybe deceived by looking at pic from a phone.
No white on my originals either.