Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

license plates

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM

license plates

Just curious, how does that works in the states.

are you guys owner of the license plates and change them to diff cars or belong the plates to the car like over here.

i saw on my window decal that said sou ern cali a thing it use to be southern california.
so that explaines why there is so little rust on my 1969 delta 88 converteble.

But to finnisch it it should be nice to obtain a set of californian licenseplates of that year. 1969 or so

it is a pitty i don't have anything of paperworks of car history etc.
only that it is since 1999 in the netherlands.

So a set of californian plates would be nice
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Past Administrator

Plates go with the car in most states. Some states use small stickers to update the plates yearly or bi-yearly when inspections are done. Some states may issue new plates altogether. If you would like to find some California plates from 1969 just do an ebay search, many people sell old license plates so it should not be too difficult to find some, or at least one. Good luck.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_..._from=R2&_ipg=
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM

here in Illinois they used to issue new plates every year - if you bought a new car you could transfer that plate number to the new car. Now they isse a plate and provide a yearly renewal sticker but the plates can still be transferred to a new car. I'm sure you can find a bunch of 1969 plates on ebay - some states may be cheaper than others.
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Plates go with the car in most states.
In Ohio the plates stay with the owner and can be transferred from car to car until they finally wear out or until the state mandates a new plate. Right now, there are three acceptable but completely different looking license plates in Ohio, the old "amber" plate that's been around for a least a decade, the "bicentennial" plate that's red, white, and blue to commemorate the state's 200th birthday in 2003 and began being issued in about 2002, and the new "beautiful Ohio" plate they began issuing back in November of '09.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
amberplate.jpg (2.3 KB, 16 views)
blue_plate.jpg (22.0 KB, 16 views)
green_plate.jpg (3.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by jaunty75; March 12th, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Randy C.

If you buy a set of California plates for your car, they should be the black plates with the yellow letters/numbers, and "63" stamped into the indented portion where the year sticker is applied. Depending upon when in the '69 model year your car was built, the first letter in the 3-letter series on the plate should be an X, Y or Z (early production would start with X, mid-period production would start with Y, and later 1969 production would start with Z; the original California plate on my '69 442 built at the Fremont plant in the 3rd week of May 1969 started with ZIG). 1969 was essentially the last model year California issued the black plates. A few very early 1970 models also got black plates but California soon shifted to the newer blue plate.
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:59 PM

mine is from 28-02-1969 so i should look for the x? or y letter
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Randy C.

This is just my opinion based on what I know about those plates, but I would look for something in the [YN* ###] to the [YZ* ###] range (the first letter being Y, the second letter being anything from N to Z, and then the third letter plus the numbers being anything from A through Z and 0 through 9, respectively).
Randy C.
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Remember too that California plates were (and are) shipped in bulk to the DMV offices across the state. A region with little activity will have older sequence plates in stock for a longer period of time than in an area that registered more cars. For a 69 to 'look right' to me it should be an X, Y or Z. I've lived in California all my life and have the plate sequences almost completely committed to memory.

Also, our plates in California, unless personalized, remain with the vehicle until its taken out of service, updated plates are ordered or the vehicle is registered out of state.

I'm sure you'll find a plate that will look good on your car!

Cheers,
Tom
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Here in Michigan you can buy plates at swap meets that are out of circulation and that are the same model year as your vehicle.
Submit
Proof of Insurance
A photo copy of the Title .
A PhotoCopy of the physical plate and register that for a fee of $35.00.
You never have a renewal fee after the initial $35.00 is paid.
The only stipulation is you cant use the vehicle for everyday transportation.
It is a great deal as far as I am concerned..Cheap.
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Pennsylvania:

The plate stays with the owner, if it expires on that car, gotta get a new plate

New Jersey:

The plate stays with the owner, however the plate is property of the State Of New Jersey
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:19 PM

In Florida the plate stays with the owner. I have had JPA-76 since the 70s and I still have the old 80s plate on the car with the current reg (76 Toronado) The new plate I get every other year or so goes on the shelf and the sticker goes on the old plate.

Usually the plates are replaced every so often but I like the old plates. The current year sticker has the same plate number on it so all is legal

The pic on the left is the one I am supposed to use, but I still have a dozen of them from over the years, so I just used the old one, on the right, same annual sticker, same plate #
Attached Images
P7030001.JPG (72.7 KB, 19 views)
PC050022.jpg (62.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by jeffreyalman; April 17th, 2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:50 PM

My Ford buddy Tom from Riverside, CA says, "Y or Z is the right one. X are on many 1968's."
He also is sending me a plate found at Turner's Auto Wrecking yard in Fresno, CA.
Fresnos12910Turners.jpg
He thinks this one was off a '56 Olds.

Last edited by Jaybird; April 19th, 2010 at 11:11 AM.