Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

license plates

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Registered User
Thread Starter
D Appeldorn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Emmen Drenthe (Netherlands)
Posts: 586
license plates

Just curious, how does that works in the states.

are you guys owner of the license plates and change them to diff cars or belong the plates to the car like over here.

i saw on my window decal that said sou ern cali a thing it use to be southern california.
so that explaines why there is so little rust on my 1969 delta 88 converteble.

But to finnisch it it should be nice to obtain a set of californian licenseplates of that year. 1969 or so

it is a pitty i don't have anything of paperworks of car history etc.
only that it is since 1999 in the netherlands.

So a set of californian plates would be nice
D Appeldorn is offline  
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Oldsguy's Avatar
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Red Oak Texas
Posts: 8,893
Plates go with the car in most states. Some states use small stickers to update the plates yearly or bi-yearly when inspections are done. Some states may issue new plates altogether. If you would like to find some California plates from 1969 just do an ebay search, many people sell old license plates so it should not be too difficult to find some, or at least one. Good luck.
Oldsguy is offline  
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Registered User
stevengerard's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 4,431
here in Illinois they used to issue new plates every year - if you bought a new car you could transfer that plate number to the new car. Now they isse a plate and provide a yearly renewal sticker but the plates can still be transferred to a new car. I'm sure you can find a bunch of 1969 plates on ebay - some states may be cheaper than others.
stevengerard is offline  
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: southern New Mexico
Posts: 12,132
Originally Posted by Oldsguy View Post
Plates go with the car in most states.
In Ohio the plates stay with the owner and can be transferred from car to car until they finally wear out or until the state mandates a new plate. Right now, there are three acceptable but completely different looking license plates in Ohio, the old "amber" plate that's been around for a least a decade, the "bicentennial" plate that's red, white, and blue to commemorate the state's 200th birthday in 2003 and began being issued in about 2002, and the new "beautiful Ohio" plate they began issuing back in November of '09.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
amberplate.jpg (2.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
blue_plate.jpg (22.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
green_plate.jpg (3.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by jaunty75; March 12th, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
jaunty75 is online now  
Old March 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Randy C.
rcorrigan5's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 2,599
If you buy a set of California plates for your car, they should be the black plates with the yellow letters/numbers, and "63" stamped into the indented portion where the year sticker is applied. Depending upon when in the '69 model year your car was built, the first letter in the 3-letter series on the plate should be an X, Y or Z (early production would start with X, mid-period production would start with Y, and later 1969 production would start with Z; the original California plate on my '69 442 built at the Fremont plant in the 3rd week of May 1969 started with ZIG). 1969 was essentially the last model year California issued the black plates. A few very early 1970 models also got black plates but California soon shifted to the newer blue plate.
rcorrigan5 is offline  
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
D Appeldorn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Emmen Drenthe (Netherlands)
Posts: 586
mine is from 28-02-1969 so i should look for the x? or y letter
D Appeldorn is offline  
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Randy C.
rcorrigan5's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 2,599
This is just my opinion based on what I know about those plates, but I would look for something in the [YN* ###] to the [YZ* ###] range (the first letter being Y, the second letter being anything from N to Z, and then the third letter plus the numbers being anything from A through Z and 0 through 9, respectively).
Randy C.
rcorrigan5 is offline  
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 20
Remember too that California plates were (and are) shipped in bulk to the DMV offices across the state. A region with little activity will have older sequence plates in stock for a longer period of time than in an area that registered more cars. For a 69 to 'look right' to me it should be an X, Y or Z. I've lived in California all my life and have the plate sequences almost completely committed to memory.

Also, our plates in California, unless personalized, remain with the vehicle until its taken out of service, updated plates are ordered or the vehicle is registered out of state.

I'm sure you'll find a plate that will look good on your car!

vairtom is offline  
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Registered User
rroth01's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Posts: 719
Here in Michigan you can buy plates at swap meets that are out of circulation and that are the same model year as your vehicle.
Proof of Insurance
A photo copy of the Title .
A PhotoCopy of the physical plate and register that for a fee of $35.00.
You never have a renewal fee after the initial $35.00 is paid.
The only stipulation is you cant use the vehicle for everyday transportation.
It is a great deal as far as I am concerned..Cheap.
rroth01 is online now  
Old April 17th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Redog's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Far Northeast Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,119

The plate stays with the owner, if it expires on that car, gotta get a new plate

New Jersey:

The plate stays with the owner, however the plate is property of the State Of New Jersey
Redog is offline  
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Registered User
jeffreyalman's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 1,179
In Florida the plate stays with the owner. I have had JPA-76 since the 70s and I still have the old 80s plate on the car with the current reg (76 Toronado) The new plate I get every other year or so goes on the shelf and the sticker goes on the old plate.

Usually the plates are replaced every so often but I like the old plates. The current year sticker has the same plate number on it so all is legal

The pic on the left is the one I am supposed to use, but I still have a dozen of them from over the years, so I just used the old one, on the right, same annual sticker, same plate #
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P7030001.JPG (72.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg
PC050022.jpg (62.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by jeffreyalman; April 17th, 2010 at 11:50 PM.
jeffreyalman is offline  
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Registered User
Jaybird's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Posts: 897
My Ford buddy Tom from Riverside, CA says, "Y or Z is the right one. X are on many 1968's."
He also is sending me a plate found at Turner's Auto Wrecking yard in Fresno, CA.
He thinks this one was off a '56 Olds.

Last edited by Jaybird; April 19th, 2010 at 11:11 AM.
Jaybird is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Parts For Sale
January 29th, 2010 02:53 PM
Parts For Sale
September 17th, 2009 05:19 PM
May 13th, 2009 09:13 PM
General Discussion
April 11th, 2009 06:49 PM
General Discussion
March 27th, 2009 03:02 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: license plates

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.