Care and Appearance Washing, waxing, paint care products, etc.

Car Covers

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Car Covers

What cover fits the best on a 70 a body? Pics and info would be awesome.

Thanks

Joe
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM

I just washed the one for the 72 tthe other day.That one is a Bulge brand,or was it Budge.Now I don't remember.No problems with that,and I've had it for a good decade or more.Inside use only.
Old December 8th, 2012, 12:31 PM

www.calcarcover I have used them and am pleased with them. They will make one for your body style.
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:24 AM

I bought one off of Ebay for about $70 the add stated it had 5 layers, was for outdoor use, waterproof and had a 3 year warranty. I liked it for the first few months but now every time I uncover the car it is covered with material from the inner lining of the cover. I can not recall the brand name but it came from a wholesaler in LA. Learn from me and spend the money to buy a better quality from a better place. I am looking back at my credit card to try to make a warranty claim.
Old December 9th, 2012, 05:35 AM

Look up a company called Big Sky Car Covers. They are out of Montana and deal with Covercraft covers. I have bought several covers from them over the years. Everything from a Suburban cover to my Mustang as well as my Olds. They are very helpful and informative! Good Luck!
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:14 AM

The largest Budge ones at OReilly's work out pretty well, especially if you use a lock cable. I think around $70 for the nice ones? I have the mid-grade version and it got torn pretty easily.
The classic car parts houses sell ~$200 covers. I had one years ago and it was exceptionally nice and fit very well.
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:07 AM

I like my California Car Cover, very well made, fit is perfect.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Lansing built

You did not mention outside use or inside use. I have always used Wolf car covers. I have had the one for my 70 CS for 13 years now its a universal fit which makes it not that expensive. I don't recall the number seems like $50-60 circa 1999. The pics are of the cover which is used only in the garage.

I also use two covers that are fitted too my Alero which includes the rear wing pocket, fits very snug and never even in 80mph winds had it blow off! $135 last purchase from Summit but that was 5 years ago?

The reference for two covers is that the local cats like to park their butts on the soft and dry cover (under a carport) despite using lime juice and moth ***** scattered around the perimeter they still have get it up there once in while now, yes the claws can be tough on the covers. The old one is on the out side new on the inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cover 001.jpg (36.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg
cover 002.jpg (49.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by 1970cs; December 9th, 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: correct missing word
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the info fellas. Sorry for not mentioning the car will be stored inside.

I actually looked at Ebay and noticed those covers White Spyder. Thanks for the heads up and advice.
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by White Spyder
I bought one off of Ebay for about $70 the add stated it had 5 layers, was for outdoor use, waterproof and had a 3 year warranty. I liked it for the first few months but now every time I uncover the car it is covered with material from the inner lining of the cover. I can not recall the brand name but it came from a wholesaler in LA. Learn from me and spend the money to buy a better quality from a better place. I am looking back at my credit card to try to make a warranty claim.
I bought a 4 layer car cover for a company called The Car Cover and it has the same problem you described. It has a lifetime warranty so I am going to try to get them to replace it. The other problem I had with this car cover was that it was way too big.
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:03 PM
jfb

I use a 45 dollar cover from my local hardware store with no problems at all scratches etc. I would rather use the extra money for a cover on other things since this panned out ok.
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:39 PM

Thumbs down

Budge covers are for inside use only! They are like paper towels after a few months of sun exposure.
I had the "premium" one on my Ford outside for 3 years (summers only) and it was more duct tape than cover.
They replaced it under the lifetime warranty for another "premium" one. That one was on the car for 6 months and it is as tough as a wet tea bag. It is all worn (holes and tears) around the car's corners and mirrors. In fact it tore all around the mirror last month. We had high winds 2 nights ago and tore it to crap.
It was a waste of 60 bucks and the 14 to ship the torn one back to them.
Never a budge again.
Old June 18th, 2013, 12:58 AM

Well I think the best covers are outdoor cavers because they are usable in any weather.. and also make for bear hard weather. and you also can use them indoor.. there are many brand offering outdoor covers.. you have to choose one of them. Good luck

More about car covers and accessories

Last edited by Bernard099; September 16th, 2014 at 01:45 AM.
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:32 AM
71 Rookie

Car cover lining?

Does anyone have experience with fleece lined covers?

The concept sounds great just not sure if it is worth the extra $45.

Is there another lining material that is used and good?

Another reply mentioned a dust particle that some covers leave on the car.

Can anyone else advise which covers to stay away from that have this issue?
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by 71 Rookie
Another reply mentioned a dust particle that some covers leave on the car.
This is the main problem I have had with several different (breathable) covers I've tried over the years. When removing the cover I have to remove as much dust and silt off the car as I did with it in the garage with no cover so I don't use any now.
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:09 AM

The fleece offers a buffer between the paint and the coarseness of the cover material itself, with out it your paint will get scuffed up real quick. I have used the better outdoor covers (fleeced lined), and frankly, nothing is going to do a really good job, yes they breathe, but the evaporation rate is slow, and they will hold water for awhile after a good storm, and if you get any wind at all, your paint will get chaffed. Fleece lining residue will occur, dusting with a car duster ever time that I removed the cover, they are better than nothing outdoors, but are no substitute for a garage. My first cover lasted three years (car was stored indoors during the winter) and was replaced for free as it had a 5 year warranty, the second about as long, number three is on a shelf in the garage as my current car is there also.
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:24 PM
2 '66 98's

I have a cover for my Olds that was made by a company called Back East. They were located somewhere in Penna. near Pittsburgh. They are no longer in business and I can guess why. The cover was too good for the price. I have had it since about '99 and it is still in pretty good shape. It is one of those fleece lined ones and is fairly heavy. I wish I could still get them today since I need one for my other car. Such is life!!
Old July 21st, 2013, 08:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by DarrylJ
Look up a company called Big Sky Car Covers....They are very helpful and informative! Good Luck!
X2
I bought my car cover from them last year. It's a 4 layer cover and I specified INDOOR storage. They also make a variety of outdoor covers and IIRC all their covers have a 4 year warranty.

For A body there are 2 styles - Cutlass Supreme (notchback) and Cutlass (fastback). If your car is the fastback design you must specify '442 body' or it will made as a notchback design. These covers do NOT have side mirror pockets, but do have tie down grommets at the bottom. My car cover has full top/bottom coverage.

Here's a pic of what it looks like (fits very well as you can see)

Old July 21st, 2013, 08:51 PM

I think that many of the companies use the same materials, particularly Noah Evolution fabric, which they then stitch up themselves for the consumer. Allan's cover looks the same as my Cal Car Cover, just a different name on the front.
Old August 12th, 2013, 07:57 PM

I have a California Car Covers Dust Top on my 68 442. It is for inside use, fits very good works great
Old August 13th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris J
I have a California Car Covers Dust Top on my 68 442. It is for inside use, fits very good works great
x2

I've been through them all and the Duststop is the best one hands down. No dust infiltration and no scratches at all, the car will look exactly like it did before you put it on when you take it off. They have some thickness to them too so they also protect the finish from minor bonks.
You get what you pay for with car covers, cheap price equals a cheap cover. You don't buy the cheapest parts for your car do you?
The only good outside car cover is a good portable garage or a real garage or carport at the least.
I had one of those Cover-It half-round quonset hut type portable garages with a heavy gauge EMT tubing frame and it worked great for years. It was covered with snow halfway up the sides many times and never budged. I sold it to a guy and he's still using it, going on twenty years old now.