Buyer & Seller Feedback This thread is the place to put Buyer or Seller feedback. Be sure to CHECK THE RULES before you post!

Carburetor rebuilt night mare

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2017, 07:09 PM

Angry Carburetor rebuilt night mare

I sent Dennis Barker at http://quadrajetcarburetors.com my Rochester carburetor for rebuilt on December 29, 2016. On February 2, he call me and told me that he was finishing up my carb to send him 450.00, which I did . The whole month of Feb and March I continually contacted him and it was one excuse after another. I never received my carb and the last message I received from him was April 5. He will not answer text or call.I ended up buying another carb and having it rebuilt. He had no bad reviews and some good accolades on the internet but he screwed me. He is in the Golden, CO area.
Old April 19th, 2017, 07:39 PM
72 Olds CS

sorry to hear that Ken at everyday performance in Connecticut is a member on here and he enjoys a good reputation for rebuilding quadrajets if you need another source.

There is another QJet rebuilder member in TX but i cant recall his UN...edit quadrajet power thats it he replied below !

Last edited by RetroRanger; April 21st, 2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old April 20th, 2017, 05:42 AM

Bummer.
Old April 20th, 2017, 05:28 PM

He did a couple of mine a few years back. I'm suprised to hear you got screwed. Sorry to hear it.
Old April 20th, 2017, 06:24 PM

I was surprised two . Did not expected it, this cost an extra 460.00 at the end.
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:15 PM
72 Olds CS

wait so you eventually got your carb back and it cost 460 plus the 399 total $859
Old April 20th, 2017, 07:37 PM

Hate to hear that, and sorry you had that experience. We had a recent build for someone that experienced a carb shop closing that had his carb. He didn't get it back.

Like many businesses, cost continue to rise. Supplies are getting harder to source, with many items discontinued from production, almost each week. Pretty scary for all of us. One of our manufactur/suppliers recently changed minimum order requirements and eliminated small operations from being able to order. Thankfully our volume is strong enough to continue but we did have to more than quadruple our supplies on hand.

I hope you end up with your carb, and an extra, and it isn't a total loss for you.
Old April 20th, 2017, 08:31 PM

RetroRanger, I ended up having to buy another carb and having it rebuild. I never got mine back.
Old April 21st, 2017, 08:52 AM

What a bummer, just had mine remanufactured by a local shop Carburation Specialties
1-928-854-7653. Dropped it off at noon on Tuesday, picked it up at 2 PM Wednesday.
$250.00 complete! Bolted onto car and it runs beautifully!! Highly recommend!
Old May 10th, 2017, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by oz71w30
I sent Dennis Barker at http://quadrajetcarburetors.com my Rochester carburetor for rebuilt on December 29, 2016. On February 2, he call me and told me that he was finishing up my carb to send him 450.00, which I did . The whole month of Feb and March I continually contacted him and it was one excuse after another. I never received my carb and the last message I received from him was April 5. He will not answer text or call.I ended up buying another carb and having it rebuilt. He had no bad reviews and some good accolades on the internet but he screwed me. He is in the Golden, CO area.
Why not get the better business bureau to rattle his cage! You know they can shut him down and pull his license. That is if you have proof! Been there and done that here in Kansas.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 06:49 PM

Update to my carb nightmare, found a local vendor in the South Florida area that did a fantastic job in rebuilding my replacement carb. Very Happy with the outcome. As to Dennis Barker, he never answered me or ever responded, the guy is a thief! BBB was no help, unable to file any reports with any authorities. I was a complete loss for me. Again beware of this vendor.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
Why not get the better business bureau to rattle his cage! You know they can shut him down and pull his license.
The Better Business Bureau can't do any of these things. It doesn't "license" anyone, so there is no license to pull. It certainly cannot "shut him down" as it has no authority nor power to do so. It is not a government nor law-enforcement agency. It is a non-profit organization.

The BBB does maintain a record of complaints against a business if anyone files them, and it does "rate" a business on an A to F scale. Businesses are not required to register with nor join the BBB to get rated, and a business joining a BBB doesn't guarantee that they're a good business. Businesses can pay a fee and join the BBB and become "accredited" by maintaining a good rating, and business that do this can display the BBB logo in their advertising. If this vendor is an accredited business, the BBB can pull its accreditation, but it would probably not do so on the basis of one complaint. There would likely have to be a pattern of them.
Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:34 PM

Here's the BBB page for this business (Barker Gang Garage). The company has a C+ rating. There is only one complaint filed, and it is by the OP of this thread. The business is not BBB accredited.

https://www.bbb.org/denver/business-...er-co-90250814
Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by oz71w30
On February 2, he call me and told me that he was finishing up my carb to send him 450.00, which I did.
How did you send him the money? Please tell us it was by credit card and not by check or money order. For something like this, you simply must pay by credit card to protect yourself. If you had done so, you could have filed a complaint with the credit card company saying you paid for a product that was never delivered, and they would have credited your account for the money and taken it back from the vendor. That would have woken him up if he was interested in keeping your business.

If the vendor won't take credit cards, that would be a red flag right there, and I would find a vendor who did.
Old October 4th, 2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
If the vendor won't take credit cards, that would be a red flag right there, and I would find a vendor who did.
This reminds me that Chris Witt preferred to do business via USPS postal money orders as the transaction would be covered by postal fraud laws.
Old October 4th, 2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
This reminds me that Chris Witt preferred to do business via USPS postal money orders as the transaction would be covered by postal fraud laws.
The problem with this, though, is that you're still out the money (because you had to hand the post office the money to get the money order) if a problem occurs and have to go through the time and effort to recover it, which could take who knows how long.

With a credit card payment, you're not actually out anything until you actually pay your next credit card bill. If the problem arises before you do this, which is probably a common situation, and you promptly dispute the charge, you're out no money at all. And even if you have already paid the bill and then dispute the charge, the bank will usually credit your account pretty quickly and then go after the offending vendor on your behalf.
Old October 4th, 2017, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I can't find any mention on the USPS website that this is actually true. The only mention of fraud in connection with post office money orders is what to do if you suspect that the money order itself is fraudulent. There is no mention of paying for something with a postal money order being covered by postal fraud laws. The post office will investigate if the mails are used to perpetrate a fraud, but you don't have to buy a money order to use the U.S. mail, and you don't have to send a money order by mail in order to give it to someone as payment for something. You could hand it to them in person, send it to them some other way (FedEx, UPS), etc.

Safest and quickest recovery of lost funds is by far to use a credit card.
Old October 4th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
How did you send him the money? Please tell us it was by credit card and not by check or money order. For something like this, you simply must pay by credit card to protect yourself. If you had done so, you could have filed a complaint with the credit card company saying you paid for a product that was never delivered, and they would have credited your account for the money and taken it back from the vendor. That would have woken him up if he was interested in keeping your business.

Payment terms were mentioned when he called me with the repair quote,( by that time he has my carb), he requested a money gram because he was not accepting any other form of payment at the time. I had no reason not to believe this guy he had no bad reviews that I could find, a preety convincing website, and he was mentioned in multiple articles regarding carb rebuilding processes . I never dawned on me to ask be it that I am so use of doing business over the internet one never expects this to happen . Lesson learned
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Maintained

I'm a little surprised his "one man shop" website is still up and running for the Qjets and his Barker Garage.
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:57 PM

I'm sorry to hear this. It gives everybody in business trouble when people do this. I have heard his name in the industry for a long time. I do not know him. Did have an email exchange once. So many websites get created and just sit there with nothing new ever added, and you can't tell if a place is open or not.

Glad you found a place and got a carb for your car.
Old October 4th, 2017, 07:07 PM

I had two carbs done by him. Liked the unwarping technic he uses. Talked to him a couple times and felt like he did care about his customers. Even though I informed him of the mods to my motor, I still had to have the idle circuit drilled out to supply my motor with the extra gas needed because of those mods( ported heads, cam, compression) at a cost of 400 more. The other carb he did failed due to corrosion in the inlet port. I asked him about it and he said he blasted it. I said he should have said something and I would have told him to trash that carb.