what size or type of parking brake cable

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2011, 02:15 PM

what size or type of parking brake cable

Guys some of you may have seen my thread on the 64 F-85 Pro-touring build. I am going to install a 200R4 which will move the cross member back about 6.5 inches. What size or type of parking brake cable will work with this mod?
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by therobski
Guys some of you may have seen my thread on the 64 F-85 Pro-touring build. I am going to install a 200R4 which will move the cross member back about 6.5 inches. What size or type of parking brake cable will work with this mod?
The crossmember will be in exactly the same place as for a TH400. Use the e-brake cables for a 1967 Cutlass with the TH400. You will need to change the front and intermediate cables only. The two cables that go to the rear brakes remain the same.
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM

Joe that's what i needed to know thanks a bunch. I actually still have the two rear ones along with the levers, all seem to be fine. Clean them up and go. need the long cable and the front they were so shot anyway.
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Hey Joe,
I'm just getting ready to tackle my e-brake setup because I installed a T400 and moved xmember. I haven't tried yet, but why can't the cable guide bracket be relocated back somewhere to make up for lost mount??

I have to wait until Sunday to investigate this, or perhaps someone had done it in the past!
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Joe were do you get a hold of brake spring ( that covers the hard line in certain areas) I assume you would put those over the hard lines that are located maybe in a vibration area or where the line could get damaged from road debris?
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:00 AM

cross member

Joe I have the cross member moved back where the 200R4 will sit however the cross member ends are sitting where the frame rail is no longer flat. Looks like some fabrication in the works? Any ideas?
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Do you have the open channel frame or the boxed frame? The latter does require welded-on extensions to the tabs. The overwrap spring on the brake lines is sold by the usual brake line providers (Inline Tube, Classic Tube, Right Stuff).
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM

It's the 64 channeled frame that I boxed before powder coat, in which I have to remove some of my handy work. But the cross memeber does not sit flat on the frame rail. The frame rail has a dip in it past the last factory bolt hole. I looked on my 67 and the frame rails are not the same. Where as on the 67 the rails run flat making the cross memeber adapt to any tramission that was going to be installed on the assembly line. Going to have fabrcate the change or maybe look into after market. I'm sure the frames for 64-65 Chevelles are the same.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by therobski
It's the 64 channeled frame that I boxed before powder coat, in which I have to remove some of my handy work. But the cross memeber does not sit flat on the frame rail. The frame rail has a dip in it past the last factory bolt hole. I looked on my 67 and the frame rails are not the same. Where as on the 67 the rails run flat making the cross memeber adapt to any tramission that was going to be installed on the assembly line. Going to have fabrcate the change or maybe look into after market. I'm sure the frames for 64-65 Chevelles are the same.
The 67 is a piece of cake as it was made to be adjustable, I think with a little thought, you can use the what you have!! A welder, torch, and flat steel, some new holes drilled and presto, your in!
Old September 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM

I wish it were that easy. I have the cross member sitting where it needs to sit and also discovered that cross member has become to short. I thought maybe I could shim it to match the slope in the frame rail. I wonder if a 67 cross member is a little wider. This 64 is 55 inches. If so I think I can shim it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1045.jpg (57.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1046.jpg (73.9 KB, 29 views)
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Administrator

The 67 is wider, my car is at another location at the moment and I can't measure it until I get back out there on Sunday! what about building an extension from under the frame, shortening your mount and move your mounting holes inward?
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:09 AM

I measured both cross memebers on the 64 build and on my 67 they are the same. Look under your 67 and you notice the frame rail ( ledge) is stamped out long enough to accomidate any transmission that was on the build order at Olds. And it's flat. The 64 65 frame ledge is not stamped out near as long I guess because their was no TH400 available intil 67 and when it does drop off, the ledge is on a angle not flat. I got some ideas and others figuring out the best approach. I may end up cutting up a few cross members to get it right. I appreciate you input. Actually on the 442.com site there are some guys honing in on this part of the project becasue there apparnently not to many references for this on a 64-65.
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:17 AM

I'm going to start a new thread in the transmission section.