musclecar brakes anyone use them?

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Registered car nut

musclecar brakes anyone use them?

I'm not against disc conversion, so no need to talk me into that.
I'm thinking this set up sounds pretty good.
http://www.musclecarbrakes.com/bib6472cutlass.html
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:23 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Seems like a good deal, if it's a bolt on swap you can always return it to original.
However the original brakes should be up to the job if they are in good shape and you drive sensibly.
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Seems reasonable - but what kind of longevity??
Back 'in the day', I had a '67 BB Impala SS - heavy boat, with 4-wheel drums.
I found metallic shoes and installed new drums - stopped on a penny!!
[except when cold - they had to be warmed up]
I actually had to watch the mirror if a 'panic' stop on the X-way happened!
Even had a trooper slide by me once! [Unmarked car @ 80 MPH]
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM

I bought some "brakes in a box" from him about 4 years ago. When I finally ,got them which took a long time, the invouce had a different car listed than my car, so I called him and he says "just put them on they're all the same". Well they wouldn't fit, they were wrong. By now I had lost confidence in him so I asked if he would just allow me to return them as they were definitely wrong, he says sure. When he gave my refund he had kept 20% for a restocking fee even though the problem was all his fault.
So when I see someone mention his company I tell my little story. You can decide what you want to do. I will never do business with him again, I found him arrogant, greedy, and a real jerk on top of being s l o w. And the parts, except maybe the shoes, were the same Chinese stuff you get at any auto parts anywhere, but cost a LOT more. He had removed the wheel cylinders from their package so you couldn't tell what brand they were and wrapped them in old newspapers.
I say if the shoes were actually a big deal they would be sold, or resold, by every big auto parts chain in the country. I say "smells like snake oil" after dealing with him. If his stuff was really great Raybestos and Wagner and Bendix and all the big companys would have their own version of them, they don't.
Old March 18th, 2011, 02:38 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by 66luvr
I say if the shoes were actually a big deal they would be sold, or resold, by every big auto parts chain in the country. I say "smells like snake oil" after dealing with him. If his stuff was really great Raybestos and Wagner and Bendix and all the big companys would have their own version of them, they don't.
I guess the auto parts makers don't make these parts because the market isn't big enough to make it viable.
I'm pretty sure there have been posts on this forum (and many others like this one) concerning brake upgrades. I dare say with some web trawling you will come across some "how to" advice, I am on this forum to learn from other enthusiasts and put in my 2 cents as well.
Hope you find what you're looking for.
Good luck!.
Roger
Old March 18th, 2011, 03:53 AM

I had read some reports in the auto mags on praise dyno ( muscle car brakes) and went with them a couple years back . BIG MISTAKE over priced and no better than the brakes i took off other than they were new
have had the wheel cylender's leak NOT worth the money. IMO

Last edited by firefrost gold; March 18th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.