Low cost front disc brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM
GM Enthusiast

Low cost front disc brake conversion

I found this bracket kit on ebay to convert over from front drum brakes to disc. They say you bolt them in, go to your local parts store and buy 1990 Celebrity calipers, 88 Monte rotors, and brake hoses. You don't even need to change the proportioning valve, m/c or vacuum booster. Can probably buy all of the parts necessary for under $300.

SCAREBIRD DISC BRAKE BRACKETS Item number: 370152732996
Some companies offer expensive conversion kits, using custom rotors, calipers and pads available only through them. We offer affordable conversion brackets that require no special pieces; using low cost items available through local parts houses. Total cost usually runs approximately $300-450.

My questions are:

Has anyone used these kits and is this setup going to be strong enough to yield an improvement in stopping power?
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Or, you can just use factory-style parts for the same amount of money:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...sk-brakes.html
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM
71 cutlass convertible

It looks like it is only for one brake you would need two kits. I have no idea how it would work but I think I would do a regular conversion. Brakes are not somthing to jury-rig.IMO
Larry
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:40 PM
GM Enthusiast

Or, you can just use factory-style parts for the same amount of money:
The kit you quoted looks great but it costs 500-600, and also requires changing the m/c and proportioning valve as well. The cost is almost 2x what this kit costs.

It looks like it is only for one brake you would need two kits. I have no idea how it would work but I think I would do a regular conversion. Brakes are not somthing to jury-rig.IMO
Larry
I believe it is a bracket kit for both sides.

But I agree with both of you that I would prefer to do a regular conversion. I was just curious to see if someone has seen, heard, or used this kit.
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
The kit you quoted looks great but it costs 500-600, and also requires changing the m/c and proportioning valve as well. The cost is almost 2x what this kit costs.
Any drum to disk conversion requires changing the M/C and adding a proportioning valve. Note that your existing drum brake spindles can be modified to fit the stock caliper brackets with a very minor machining operation.
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:39 AM

i went to the local junk yard and robed the front disc brakes from a 71 cutlass for about 200 and just had to sand blast and paint. pretty easy
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rockethound
i went to the local junk yard and robed the front disc brakes from a 71 cutlass for about 200 and just had to sand blast and paint. pretty easy
That is always the easiest and best route, but unfortunately A-body cars are becoming scarce in wrecking yards. The ones that are there are usually quickly picked clean by either restorers or folks with ebay businesses.
Old March 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM

ya i can see that to be true but were i'm located in mi there are still a-body cars around
in yards. but your write they are starting to get picked over but i have three yards that don't crush that i have found while driving up north one write here in town tho.