Full size Olds brake/speedo problem

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2015, 09:54 AM

Full size Olds brake/speedo problem

Scarebird sells a fs brake kit but I'm not sure it can handle the speedo take off on the front hub.
Has anyone used the kit that also has the speedo working?
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mcc8
Scarebird sells a fs brake kit but I'm not sure it can handle the speedo take off on the front hub.
Has anyone used the kit that also has the speedo working?
The speedo is driven off the dust cap on the front hub. This part is retained, as is the original spindle with the through hole for the cable. There should be no issue.
Old July 8th, 2015, 11:18 AM

Thanks Joe for the info. I'm putting on some wheels that require using spacers and the new wheels push on the edge of the dust cap on the PS, but if I remove the cap to test clearance, everything is OK.
I guess I need to test the DS and find smaller cap for the PS (hopefully the different size DS will clear),
Car pulls left then right and so on. Stock drum brakes are driving me nuts to adjust, so I've got to go disc or at least totally rebuild the drums.
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:06 PM

so i am puting mine back together. no hole in spindle nothing for a cotter pin. what keeps the nut tight?
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by All Age Dog
so i am puting mine back together. no hole in spindle nothing for a cotter pin. what keeps the nut tight?
Since you hijacked someone else's thread, we have no idea what year full size you are talking about. Obviously if you are talking about the left front spindle on a 65-70 full size, a cotter pin can't be used since that would interfere with the speedo cable. These cars have a retaining ring that snaps onto the end of the spindle to lock the nut in place. Didn't you take it apart in the first place?
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Since you hijacked someone else's thread, we have no idea what year full size you are talking about. Obviously if you are talking about the left front spindle on a 65-70 full size, a cotter pin can't be used since that would interfere with the speedo cable. These cars have a retaining ring that snaps onto the end of the spindle to lock the nut in place. Didn't you take it apart in the first place?
Thanks Joe,
I did take it apart and it had nothing on it. sorry about hijacking a thread 2 months dead and related to the left side speedo hub. I use that search tool as much as i can to answer things about this basket case 66 starfire that fights me every step of the way.
So what type of retaining ring is it?
Old September 9th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by All Age Dog
Thanks Joe,
I did take it apart and it had nothing on it. sorry about hijacking a thread 2 months dead and related to the left side speedo hub. I use that search tool as much as i can to answer things about this basket case 66 starfire that fights me every step of the way.
So what type of retaining ring is it?
It is unfortunately a specialized ring that snaps into the threads on the spindle and locks the nut. You are unlikely to find one new, so a parts car is your only option. As a last resort, you may try to double nut the spindle an lock it in place, or drill a small hole in the end of the spindle and use lockwire.

And sorry for the previous post. I was unjustifiably harsh. I apologize.
Old September 9th, 2015, 07:18 AM

I just threw away a can with those parts in it. That's usually the way it goes.
Old September 9th, 2015, 09:23 AM

i found in a box some extra spindle nuts and a 1/16 wire thing that looks simular to a circle hook. it goes on however, dont know if it is corect