Front Disc Prop valve ??'s

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2009, 07:20 AM

Front Disc Prop valve ??'s

Hey everyone,
Another project I can work on while I have lots of time, but not much money, is my brakes.
'69 Supreme, Original drum brakes, front and rear.
Got a front disc setup from the '72 Supreme parts car I had, I got most of it all cleaned up and painted, Pass side installed so far, minus new rotors.
Which proportioning valve do I need to use. The one from the '72 Supreme is a lot larger than the original one, but I thought that I had seen somewhere, that the one in pic 1 (original style) can be used with discs up front as well as drums. Can I just use this one or do I need to use the larger one in pic 2?
Thanks
Duane

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PC210024.jpg (78.9 KB, 128 views)
PC210025.jpg (73.1 KB, 135 views)
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69Rman
Hey everyone,
Another project I can work on while I have lots of time, but not much money, is my brakes.
'69 Supreme, Original drum brakes, front and rear.
Got a front disc setup from the '72 Supreme parts car I had, I got most of it all cleaned up and painted, Pass side installed so far, minus new rotors.
Which proportioning valve do I need to use. The one from the '72 Supreme is a lot larger than the original one, but I thought that I had seen somewhere, that the one in pic 1 (original style) can be used with discs up front as well as drums. Can I just use this one or do I need to use the larger one in pic 2?
Thanks
Duane

The first picture is NOT a proportioning valve, it is simply a distribution block with the differential pressure switch. The 67-70 factory disk brake cars used this distribution block (which is the same as the one on drum brake cars) with a separate external metering valve. The 1971-up cars used the combination valve in your second picture, which combines the distribution block with the proportioning valve to save parts count. Unless you care about a completely correct resto, use the combo valve in the second picture.
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:17 PM

Thanks a lot Joe!
That's what I was thinking I'd have to do. Hopefully I can get it to fit with the headers in there as well. I've never liked the look of them mounted up on the fender well. Looks kinda goofy...
Thanks!
Duane
Old December 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks a lot Joe!
That's what I was thinking I'd have to do. Hopefully I can get it to fit with the headers in there as well. I've never liked the look of them mounted up on the fender well. Looks kinda goofy...
Thanks!
Duane
Unfortunately you will almost certainly need to move it. On AT cars I've had good luck bolting it to the top of the frame rail using one of the two holes pre-drilled for the outer support for the Z-bar. Obviously this won't work on MT cars.
Old December 21st, 2009, 03:15 PM

Thanks again Joe!
That does seem to be the most logical spot for it. I guess I would then have to make my own lines though. Or re bend some if possible??
I'll have to look further into this this evening.
Thanks!
Duane
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks again Joe!
That does seem to be the most logical spot for it. I guess I would then have to make my own lines though. Or re bend some if possible??
I'll have to look further into this this evening.
Thanks!
Duane
I've actually been able to rebend the lines without even taking them off, but since you have to put the brake system together anyway, you might want to custom bend lines that look a little neater. Simply rebending the stock lines looks a little ugly.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Trying to remember member

On the '69s, isn't the proportioning valve mounted on the booster?
Attached Images
disc proportioning valve.jpg (26.2 KB, 46 views)
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
on 67, 68, 69 and 70 disc brake cars, the disc brake metering valve is located right under the master cylinder like you show in the picture
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
Which is why I said this above:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The first picture is NOT a proportioning valve, it is simply a distribution block with the differential pressure switch. The 67-70 factory disk brake cars used this distribution block (which is the same as the one on drum brake cars) with a separate external metering valve. The 1971-up cars used the combination valve in your second picture, which combines the distribution block with the proportioning valve to save parts count. Unless you care about a completely correct resto, use the combo valve in the second picture.
The combo valve requires fewer fluid connections and thus has fewer leak points. Even with the correct 69 distribution block and metering valve, the distribution block will still likely need to be moved.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
on 67, 68, 69 and 70 disc brake cars, the disc brake metering valve is located right under the master cylinder like you show in the picture
Yes, I believe that you are correct, but, I don't have one of those proportioning valves. So I am stuck either finding one, or using the valve from the '72 in pic 2 in original post.
I plan to replace the lines, so using the '72 unit on top of the frame will work out just fine. I think.
Duane
Old February 1st, 2010, 04:38 PM

I just recently replaced, well pretty much everything in the front of my 73' Cutlass Supreme. Went with this product, says its a proportioning valve. Haven't finished the brakes yet, so don't know how it performs.

http://www.inlinetube.com/Prop%20Valves/VOL105.htm

Also I have a question on what kind of clearance is needed between brake lines and headers before it becomes not safe. I'm afraid I might have reroute my new lines I worked so hard on.
Old December 11th, 2010, 08:48 PM

70 Metering valve?

I have a disc/drum set up on my 70 cutlass, what does the metering valve do? Does it keep the disc up front from locking up? or does it retard the braking effort on the rear brakes? The plunger on the rear of mine barely seems to move and gets stuck (when bleeding) can this cause poor braking?