Disc Prop Valve/Rotors Question

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2013, 07:34 AM

Disc Prop Valve/Rotors Question

So im getting closer to the road and have a quick question CO. Ive got my spindls all mounted up and need to decide resurfacing stock rotors vs just buying new. Cost is probably very close. Also ho and where i integrate the prop valve going form a drum system with a distribution block only. last ? is if there is a difference between the two hard lines from the drum master and the hardlines from a disc master.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brakes.JPG (41.2 KB, 36 views)
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Curts1970cutlass
So im getting closer to the road and have a quick question CO. Ive got my spindls all mounted up and need to decide resurfacing stock rotors vs just buying new. Cost is probably very close. Also ho and where i integrate the prop valve going form a drum system with a distribution block only. last ? is if there is a difference between the two hard lines from the drum master and the hardlines from a disc master.
Thanks
It's cheaper to buy Chinesium rotors than to have your old ones turned, HOWEVER, every time I do that, I end up needing to turn the new ones because they are poorly machined.

Are you talking about using a factory style metering valve along with the drum brake distribution block? If so, it goes in the line for the rear brakes, between the M/C and the dist block.

The line diameters from the M/C to the dist block are the same for both disc and drum cars, but the flare nut threads may be different. Obviously, if you are using an in-line metering valve the line into and out of it is different from the drum cars. If you are using a combo valve there might be slight routing differences in the lines but the drum lines can be bent to work. Again, the flare nut threads might be different, requiring adapter fittings.
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Thanks Joe, so would that prop valve just replace the dist block? Would a stock 70 cutlass with front disc have both or just the prop valve? And sounds like i may as well have the stock rotors re surfaced properly.
Old July 16th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Curts1970cutlass
Thanks Joe, so would that prop valve just replace the dist block? Would a stock 70 cutlass with front disc have both or just the prop valve? And sounds like i may as well have the stock rotors re surfaced properly.
The 1971-up COMBINATION valve replaces the distribution block. The 1967-70 METERING valve is used in conjunction with the distribution block. Either way works, the factory changed in 1971 to reduce parts count and thus assembly costs.
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Joe, I believe Curtis has a stock AC Delco proportioning valve that he wants to use that came off a 72 donor car. At least that's what I'm sure he showed me last time I was at his place. (its been awhile)

Curt, the valve mounts to the inside of the drivers side frame behind the front wheel using a special bracket and 2 self tapping bolts. From there just plumb your lines down from the MC, and attach the connections to the front and rear brake lines.