Disc Brakes

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2011, 07:04 AM

Smile Disc Brakes

Group
I looked through the Drums to Disks front conversion strings. That can be confusing so many thoughts and opinions. So with this I am going to do the front disk conversion anyway.

So I am looking for feedback on who used what and the challenge they incurred. I see some posts of the MBM brakes. Also Speedway motors kits being the cheapest. Also 14’s rally wheel concerns.

Me I have 69 Cutlass S. I did the motor tranny swap from a 350/350 to a 455/400 so I am running a lot of HP and weight. So here is my thought. Using the original upper/lower A arms, Looking to do this cheap. Please advise on what you had used and how smooth the changeover was. Right now I have the car down to the frame so running breaklines has to be done anyway.

If any purest are out there looking for front Drum parts I am looking to get rid of them.
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Getting There

check out the right stuff

complete conversions with original a arms
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Not sure what's confusing about it. Rally Wheels are for Chevys. Olds Super Stock II/III wheels came on factory disc brake cars in all wheel sizes (14x6, 14x7, and 15x7) so these are no issue. If you have SSI wheels, you need to verify that you have the disc brake versions. These did come in drum-only versions that will not clear even stock disc brakes.

Be sure the kit you get uses the stock calipers with 2.75" pistons and not the later "metric" calipers with the 2 5/16" pistons. Clearance with the stock calipers is not an issue.
Old March 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM

I used the MBM front disc conversion kit on my 72'. I have the later style 14" rims with the snap on centers and they clear an 11" rotor. I am doing part time marketing & sales for JH Restorations. I can get you a kit for $520.00 drop shipped from MBM with free shipping in the continental US. If you need any brake or fuel lines we are also a distributor for Inline Tube. Send me a pm if you are interested.

If you have someone else you are going through no worries, just offering them as an option.
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM

Do "drum" spindles work for disc brake conversions?

I've got a 69 442 convertible with a 455 and a TH 400. I recently bought this car, and it has a completely rebuilt drum brake system with new shoes and front drums. I'll have the body off the frame for a complete ground up restoration. I am in no hurry to replace the drums unless I need to replace the stock spindles, and it would be easy to do it with the body off. I will also want to replace all the bushings shocks, ball joints etc., and POR-15 everything. I have 15 inch Cragars on this car.

Do I need to replace the spindles for a future change to disc brakes up front? Thanks for any experience along these lines...
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by crholds442
Do I need to replace the spindles for a future change to disc brakes up front? Thanks for any experience along these lines...
Yes, drum or disk spindles are not the same....
But, you can allegedly cut down the anchor bolt boss on your current spindles....

http://www.pozziracing.com/brakes.ht...Drums_to_Discs

(Scroll down to SPINDLE: - ya..its for an f-body, but the specs are the same..)_