converting front drum to disc brakes 71 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2013, 02:45 PM

converting front drum to disc brakes 71 cutlass

I have aquired disc calipers boosters spindles m/c all with lines attached from 72 cutlass used and prop vavle no hardware what else will i need to make it work....and can i doit myself....im mechanicaly sound but far from a gear head....thanks
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:17 PM

Yes you CAN do it yourself! There have been a lot of great posts with pictures and explanations... We will be glad to help with any questions! There may be a few MAW's that you might wish to tackle while you have most of the front end apart... New control arm bushings and ball joints come to mind if they have not been done in a long time... Shocks perhaps. When I did mine some years back I just replaced the MC and about 2 months later the Vacuum booster went... Best of luck! Check out Eddies rebuild under major build forum he shows quite a few pictures... and there are several others!
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
Yes you CAN do it yourself! There have been a lot of great posts with pictures and explanations... We will be glad to help with any questions! There may be a few MAW's that you might wish to tackle while you have most of the front end apart... New control arm bushings and ball joints come to mind if they have not been done in a long time... Shocks perhaps. When I did mine some years back I just replaced the MC and about 2 months later the Vacuum booster went... Best of luck! Check out Eddies rebuild under major build forum he shows quite a few pictures... and there are several others!
Does anbody know if I can use my prop valve that i have on there know from manual brakes?? Thats the only thing that I'm not sure about because the one i aquired i was told i neeed some fitting or something for it..thanks
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

That is not a proportioning valve you have now. It is simply a distribution block and has to be replaced. You should be able to bend the brake lines to connect. If you ever plan on putting headers on your car, go ahead and mount the proportionin valve on top of the frame.
Old January 27th, 2013, 03:02 AM

Eddie used a distribution block on his installation with an adjustable valve , I think it was in the last few pages... If you do not use something like a new proportioning valve, or adjustabe valve it can get really exciting when that little mini stops dead in front of you!

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nvertible.html
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
That is not a proportioning valve you have now. It is simply a distribution block and has to be replaced. You should be able to bend the brake lines to connect. If you ever plan on putting headers on your car, go ahead and mount the proportionin valve on top of the frame.
I already have headers on there it looks like it will fit in the same spot.