Brake line questions

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2018, 11:14 AM

Brake line questions

When I pulled my rear axle I twisted off a couple ends due to rust. I need to replace the lines on the axle and to the back. My car is a 69 442 conv with drums on all.

in a few years I plan to do essentially a frame off, or close to it, but for now I just want to get it on the road and enjoy it for a couple summers. With that in mind, here are my questions.

Are the disk brake kits made for all 4 wheels disc, or just front discs? I had not really planned to go 4 wheel disc, but would love to hear thoughts on that. if I order the disk brake kit, can I just use the lines.

It seems like ordering a whole kit would be better and I would just save the front lines for the conversion one day. I just don't know if the brakes can work like that or if the lines and everything are so different that I can't mix the two. Or should I just order them separate. Any advice or opinion is welcome.

Bob
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Administrator

You can go to the auto parts store and buy lines and a flaring tool.
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Call Right Stuff Detailing, they can point you in the right direction. They have lines for 4 wheel disc brake kit and only front disc kit.
Old December 6th, 2018, 04:33 AM

You can get disk brake kits for either just the front, just the back, or all around.

I was in a similar dilemma not too long ago when rebuilding my rear axle. I have drums all around, and I had considered going to disks in the rear before going to disks in the front. That seemed kinda silly, and considering that 80% of the stopping power is needed in the front, I decided that 4-wheel disks didn't make a whole lot of sense unless you were going for that pro-mod look. I stayed w/ drums in the rear since they provide more than adequate stopping power and still plan on converting the fronts to disk eventually.
Old December 6th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Olds Fever

If you have some mechanical skills just buy what you need to make repairs to the existing lines until you are ready to do a full conversion...
Old December 6th, 2018, 03:21 PM

EZbend is a great product to make your own brake lines. Very user friendly, I have 2 different bending tools and did not use them much at all, used my fingers and various small sockets!!
Amazon Amazon