Bad case of the MAW!!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2012, 01:38 PM
NôôB

Bad case of the MAW!!!!

Rob sign me up for one of you special MAW hats.... Well it bit me, swapped out the master cylinder and i figured while i was at it.... Mine as well swap out the brake hoses. Well lets just say i upgraded from the MAW to the oh S%*#t department. I twisted off the steel line.

So I MAW swap out the whole brake line kit LMAO.

What you guys think about this kit or is there a better one?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RSD-AKT6801S/
Old April 9th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Administrator

LOL, Its an affliction with no cure!
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

YAY, we're not alone!!! I know exactly how you feel about that line. I did the same to my 98. Tell us you used your flare nut wrenches......
Sicky, that kit looks ok, not bad pricing either. I got my kit from ILT through a member here and got a great one time discount. But it was for ALL the lines, not just the front.

Do you run discs or drums? ILT has the front drum lines for 20.00 / set

I don't know what summitt sells - whether they're made offshore or not. But ILL makes their own stuff in the USA. Their full brake line kit (front / back) for 69 ranges from 145-155 depending on power drum or disc.
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Okay, Sick - got one in the mail for ya!!
Sure hope you tended to the booster, too.
Did you know it might be easier to get those lines off with the body removed from the frame?
<running for the virtual bomb shelter...>
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:38 PM
NôôB

I guess i will just redo the whole brake system as well lol. But seriously i am not removing the body from the frame. That is along time out on the plans lol. So we agree this is a good line to get? I will see about getting the rear line as well and the brake booster... Well it was fun driving the car while it was running lol but it seems like it will be a little bit for that again lol...

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Okay, Sick - got one in the mail for ya!!
Did you know it might be easier to get those lines off with the body removed from the frame?
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Hmmm, I've heard that line before, but I think you told me it was easier if I PULLED THE ENGINE!

The booster is a real PITA to get out if you have the inner liners still on. Those 4 nuts and 1 bolt are in the stupidist place. You'll need either a really long wrench or a double wrench comination to get the bottom ones off. 1/8 turn, curse, realign wrench, 1/8 turn.....soooo much fun
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:53 PM
NôôB

Originally Posted by Allan R
You'll need either a really long wrench or a double wrench comination to get the bottom ones off. 1/8 turn, curse, realign wrench, 1/8 turn.....soooo much fun
sounds like half of my projects lol
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM
NôôB

thinking about it i was wondering is it possible to change out the brake booster at a later time or is it just better to change it all at once?
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM

1/8 turn, curse, realign wrench, 1/8 turn.....soooo much fun
Thats if you can even get enough torque on them the break them loose! That was my problem...
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by sicky olds
thinking about it i was wondering is it possible to change out the brake booster at a later time or is it just better to change it all at once?
It's an easy changeout. 4 nuts, 1 bolt, clevis pin, vacuum line. Just takes a bit of time (2+hours). If the booster is still working, you can leave it till later. Its all about what you want to do now vs what you HAVE to do now. $$ is also a factor.

You can unbolt the MC and have someone hold it while you pop out the old booster and put in the new one or you can support it. I replaced mine because it had blown the rear piston seal.
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:41 AM
NôôB

It's an easy changeout. 4 nuts, 1 bolt, clevis pin, vacuum line. Just takes a bit of time (2+hours). If the booster is still working, you can leave it till later. Its all about what you want to do now vs what you HAVE to do now. $$ is also a factor.

You can unbolt the MC and have someone hold it while you pop out the old booster and put in the new one or you can support it. I replaced mine because it had blown the rear piston seal.

If I am going to be replacing lines then the MC will need to become unplugged i thought. So i can do it then. But looking at money things i might just have to wait and do it at the first of the month (when my alotment for car comes in). This also depends on if i can fix my stoopid Daily Driver (clutch went out again lol).
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Sicky,

My booster is the ugliest thing under my hood right now...

I really just want to get a new MC and Booster, as Allan knows, i've been "Thinking" about it for about 2 months....

Take a look at this pic, the booster sticks out like a sore thumb

Here's what it originally used to look like

Old April 10th, 2012, 08:35 AM
NôôB

My booster doesnt look bad, its painted black from when i got it so it doesnt stick out too much... I think i am going to hold off on the booster for a little bit thinking about it. Just get the brake lines replace them and then do the booster later. Thinking about buying a house of my own here in San Antonio, so i will have a place to keep my cars if i get orders or even if i get out i have my own place and not renting from someone lol. Either way, I will have my own space to store both cars
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM

My booster doesnt look bad, its painted black from when i got it so it doesnt stick out too much... I think i am going to hold off on the booster for a little bit thinking about it. Just get the brake lines replace them and then do the booster later. Thinking about buying a house of my own here in San Antonio, so i will have a place to keep my cars if i get orders or even if i get out i have my own place and not renting from someone lol. Either way, I will have my own space to store both cars

Are you going to buy the lines or bend them yourself?

I bought a spool of brake line for 30 dollars a couple years ago and did everything from the master-back with a tube bender and piece of clothes hanger.

I might just remove my booster, wirebrush it and paint it until i have more money to replace it.
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:49 AM
NôôB

If you look in my first post i have a link for what i am going to buy. The price isnt too bad, and i will just do the rear lines at a different time if it doesnt come with it. Only reason i am considering this now is because i broke the one line and the MAW kicked in lol. That and instead of pulling a line off of a parts car that we have we can do this...
Old April 10th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If I am going to be replacing lines then the MC will need to become unplugged i thought. So i can do it then. But looking at money things i might just have to wait and do it at the first of the month (when my alotment for car comes in). This also depends on if i can fix my stoopid Daily Driver (clutch went out again lol).
When you replace the line that broke, you're not taking it off the MC, you're taking it off the distribution block (or proportioning valve or combination valve) depending on what kind of brakes you have. If money's tight, just repair the part that's failed. You can likely get a flare tool and a couple of unions from Autozone (loaner tools) and put in a replacement piece until you can afford to do more. Brake line tubing is dirt cheap.

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
I bought a spool of brake line for 30 dollars a couple years ago and did everything from the master-back with a tube bender and piece of clothes hanger.
I might just remove my booster, wirebrush it and paint it until i have more money to replace it.
A spool? Usually it comes in straight lengths here. If you take off your booster and wire wheel it (great idea BTW if the diaphraphm's still good) you can paint it with CADMIUM paint. Canadian Tire sells it for around 12.00. Works pretty decent too. Really pops if you use a white primer under it. You can also do the top of the MC in cad too. For the sides? I'd just wire wheel it to metal and spray it with clear. Reason? If you get ANY brake fluid on it, it will want to lift and peel any paint you put on it.

If you look in my first post i have a link for what i am going to buy. The price isnt too bad, and i will just do the rear lines at a different time if it doesnt come with it. Only reason i am considering this now is because i broke the one line and the MAW kicked in lol. That and instead of pulling a line off of a parts car that we have we can do this...
That's a decent value. But if you only need one line??? Probably way cheaper to just get it and put it in for now. Your call. IMO the house investment is waaaay more important than getting into MAW projects on your car. I totally get where you're coming from.

When I was younger and was faced with the same decisions, I went for the security of the house. Now that I'm retired, I have no mortgage, no bills, time and some saved up $$ to spend on the car. Long as the car is stored someplace decent, it's not going to fall apart or feel sad you're not working on it. I think the key was what you said about when you could afford to do stuff. Don't let us motivate you beyond where you need to be, ok?
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:03 PM

Long as the car is stored someplace decent, it's not going to fall apart or feel sad you're not working on it. I think the key was what you said about when you could afford to do stuff.
I can definitely feel akin to this. Right now, my car is stored inside, warm and dry. It's covered in dust, but it's still there, waiting to get some new parts here and there when i can afford it.

CT out here sells brake line in spools if you go out in the farm regions where they work on tractors and stuff. They also sell seadoo gas tank floats and other odds and ends.