Brake line distribution block...is this the right part? Placement?

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2011, 06:33 PM

Brake line distribution block...is this the right part? Placement?

This is the one thing I found on this car since I started going through it that is totally unnerving. The guy I bought this car from was a maintenence fanatic, yet I found this, zip tied to the frame, with what appears to be the the left front line JB welded to stop the leaking probably due to a bent and breached line. Uh, and of course it still leaks. This is not the proportioning valve correct? Just a distribution block? Does it appear to be the stock part? I'm assuming it bolts to the frame somewhere in this vicinity. Anybody have any pics of it's exact proper location?
Thanks so much! Any help with this is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:38 AM

That looks like a proportioning block. most distribution blocks I have met did not have the electrical lead going to it, but I could be dead wrong. The giveaway would be if you have drum/disc setup, then it is a proportioning block. Doesn't look very stockish. They usually bolt to the frame
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:43 AM

Wow...that's pretty scary..That doesn't look like an OEM distr block. Is it iron/steel ? I think all OEMs were brass...

Here's a pic of my '68's

click for big
IIRC, a '70 would be the same for both drum & disc (but you'd have the hold-off valve up by the MC for disc)...

Last edited by Indy_68_S; November 2nd, 2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks Guys,..
I just got my factory service manual today and will dig through it to see if I can get anything definite. I didn't think it looked like a OEM part, it does seem to be steel. This car does have disk/drum setup. I believe it to be a factory option, but it's possible it has been converted at some point and this never done properly. I thought all SX's came with front discs though? I won't even think about taking it out of the garage until I resolve this. It's winter and I'm afraid it will lead to a case of the "might as wells" if I have to start running new brake lines. I'll let you know when I get to the bottom of it
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:52 PM

Interesting. Looks nothing like my stock prop. valve ('72 though).

Last edited by oldzy; November 2nd, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

OK, first, the item in the original photo is a plain distribution block. It has NO proportioning valve functions whatsoever. This particular one does not appear to be factory correct for a 1970 Olds, but it appears to be functionally interchangeable (though obviously it does not have the correct mounting features, thus the zip-ties). The factory unit is brass, this one appears to be cast iron.

Also note that the 1967-70 factory disc brake cars did NOT use the 1972-style combo valve shown above in the photo. The early disc brake cars used the same distribution block as the drum brake cars with a separate metering valve that mounted under the master cylinder. The combo valve was not used by the factory until the 1971 model year.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:11 PM

I'm starting to put this puzzle together now. Joe, thanks....That's what I've concluded in the last couple days, and your post sealed the deal on my confidence in that. Now I'd just like to find the right block. Any ideas where to look? Anybody make good aftermarket repro's?? I do appreciate everybody chiming in. I thought this thread was going to die without any replies.
Old November 4th, 2011, 12:32 AM

inlinetube is one source.
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:08 AM

Yep. What oldzy said..

http://www.inlinetube.com/Prop%20Valves/pro_valves.htm

And there's also eBay (Tamraz) that list this as 70-72, but it looks kinda like the 68-70
http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-72-GM-Bod...item43a0b08285

Right Stuff....
http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/tech-ce...gurations.aspx

and prolly the OPGI, PartsPlace, & others too...

Last edited by Indy_68_S; November 4th, 2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:25 AM

Just ordered a bunch of new shiny brake lines and parts. Thanks so much to everyone. I found everything I was looking for!