Brake fluid resevoir grommets

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2010, 07:59 AM

Brake fluid resevoir grommets

Anyone know a good source for these rubber grommets that seal the reservoir to the master cylinder? Mine are leaking and I can't find anyplace that sells them! Or maybe a way to fix them??

Thanks!
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:53 AM

The Fromment as you call it just seals dirt and dust from getting into the master cylinder. The Piston has rubber seals that wear out that is where your leak is commig form. Sometimes if the car has set for a long time moisture setting in the piston cylinder creats rust and a uneven surface is created allowing the brake fluid to leak past the rubber seals on the piston. You can hone out the master cylinder and install a rebuild kit or buy a new master cylinder. The rebuild is a simple proceedure. and a brake cylinder hone is no expensive and can be bought at any auto parts store.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

I was baffled at first, nothing new, but I think us old timers are thinking of the old style one piece MC, naturally.

Is this a plastic brake fluid reservoir and these are the "grommets" or seals between that and the MC housing.
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I was baffled at first, nothing new, but I think us old timers are thinking of the old style one piece MC, naturally.

Is this a plastic brake fluid reservoir and these are the "grommets" or seals between that and the MC housing.
Good point. Now I just feel a little bit older. Guess I'll go out and put some hog fat on the wooden spindle of my horse cart so I can go shopping
Old January 16th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista

Yes the plastic reservoir. Replacing the master cylinder on mine is not so easy..it's the Powermaster unit, not vacuum. I was hoping I could just get new grommets...a whole new unit is almost $400...ugh.
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Well I seem to have lucked out...I looked over the master cylinder and realized that the cover to the reservoir is pretty hard to get off and that maybe it jarred it loose a little...so I seated it pretty firmly and now it doesn't leak anymore...still think I'll need a new Powermaster at some point...but I think I avoided it for now!
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Joeypete
Well I seem to have lucked out...I looked over the master cylinder and realized that the cover to the reservoir is pretty hard to get off and that maybe it jarred it loose a little...so I seated it pretty firmly and now it doesn't leak anymore...still think I'll need a new Powermaster at some point...but I think I avoided it for now!
Since there is usually no motion between the reservoir and the M/C, these grommets don't normally wear out, hence the lack of replacements. As you've found, you likely just knocked the reservoir loose. Note that one frequent problem with the Powermaster is a bad accumulator. These can be replaced by themselves - just be prepared for sticker shock.
Old January 20th, 2010, 07:09 AM

haha, ya I know! The whole units have been cut in price...more than half at O'Reilly so I'd probably just replace the whole thing. It seems to be working ok since I got the brakes bled...the brake light flashes on very quickly every so often, but not like it used to at least.