Brake Fluid Leak - Driver Side Floormat

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Brake Fluid Leak - Driver Side Floormat

Hi Olds fans,

I've got a 72 Cutlass S (350/4bbl/TH350/non-powered drum brakes all around). After taking her for a spin last week (80 degrees in Central PA!), I noticed fluid had dripped onto the driver side floormat (luckily rubber). I'm pretty convinced it's brake fluid. When I press the brake hard, I can see more drip down.

My research thus far has led me to think that the master cylinder has gone south, and it needs replaced. I would probably have to take it to a shop due to my lack of space and local car friends right now (would need help for the bleeding).

My questions are:

1. Is there anything I should look at or try before replacing the master cylinder? Are there other possible causes for this leak.

2. Do you have any recommendations on where to get a replacement master cylinder? Are there any other parts required? I figure the more I can bring to the shop, the better off I'll be.

3. Would this be a good opportunity to add a brake booster? (I know, I know. Switch to discs...). As much as I've adjusted to the 'Flintstone stop', a little help wouldn't hurt hehe.

I apologize if this has been answered. I searched the site best I could before posting, but didn't quite find a good answer. I'm also kind of a newb, so be gentle .

Thanks in advance!!

PS - It's been awhile since I've posted, but I'm glad to see the site still chirpin' away! You guys have saved me more than once, and someday I hope I can be helpful.
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by TheRuss
My research thus far has led me to think that the master cylinder has gone south, and it needs replaced.
Correct on both counts.

I would probably have to take it to a shop due to my lack of space and local car friends right now (would need help for the bleeding).
It may not be "kosher," but I have changed many master cylinders by just bleeding the two lines where they exit the cylinder.
You need an assistant for about five minutes, and no time on your back.

1. Is there anything I should look at or try before replacing the master cylinder? Are there other possible causes for this leak.
No. None. It's a slam dunk.

2. Do you have any recommendations on where to get a replacement master cylinder? Are there any other parts required? I figure the more I can bring to the shop, the better off I'll be.
It should be just the master.

As for where to get one, I just got a rebuilt for my Delta at the local Advance Auto for $15.00. I know, that's not the "best" available, but it works for me right now. Since you have manual brakes, though, I am not sure whether your M/C would be harder to find (though I suspect not).

I've never done a manual M/C on a GM before (had a Valiant with one), but I think there may be an under-dash connection to the brake pedal that you have to disconnect.

3. Would this be a good opportunity to add a brake booster? (I know, I know. Switch to discs...). As much as I've adjusted to the 'Flintstone stop', a little help wouldn't hurt hehe.
In theory at least, you'd need to change all the wheel cylinders, as far as I know. I'd put in a cheap master now, and get into that can of worms when you've got the time.

- Eric
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Thanks so much for the quick reply, Eric!!! I'll update the post when I get into it. Should be this weekend at the latest.