Basic brake questions

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2011, 06:16 AM

Basic brake questions

I have a 85 olds Delta 88 and looking to re-do my rear brakes

Any idea if I got "9 or '11 drums??? Rockauto has the choice for either im assuming I have "9 drums???

Should I replace the shoes at the same time? What brands are people using AC delco? Wagner? Raybestps?
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:02 AM

Fastest way to find out what size drums you have is just get under the car and measure them. 9 vs 11 will be easy to see.

Ideally, take the wheels and drums off first and check the for leaky wheel cylinders / axle seals or other problems. At this time, measure the drums and check for scoring, or excessive wear. If they look good, keep them and don't replace them.
Make a part order once.

As for shoes - Wagner and raybestos are both good, as I have used both. I have heard slightly stronger comments on Wagner tho...
Replace them if they look worn. Compare the lining from the top and bottom of the shoe and make a judgement call.

Before the rebuild (hopefully in the driveway), use water to wash away the brake dust. Use a spray on cleaner like 409 to clean it all up. Let it dry or use compr air or a leaf blower to force dry it. Never use air on the brake dust - you do not want to breathe it.
Old December 29th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Also - be sure to check the backing plate for significant grooves worn into it. There are 3 raised pads on the backing plate where each brake shoe touches it (6 raised pads per backing plate). These can get grooves worn in them which result in brake shoes not traveling properly, which can lead to decreased braking performance as well as uneven brake shoe wear. To fix this you can buy new backing plates or weld the pads and grind them flat.
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Fastest way to find out what size drums you have is just get under the car and measure them. 9 vs 11 will be easy to see.

Ideally, take the wheels and drums off first and check the for leaky wheel cylinders / axle seals or other problems. At this time, measure the drums and check for scoring, or excessive wear. If they look good, keep them and don't replace them.
Make a part order once.

As for shoes - Wagner and raybestos are both good, as I have used both. I have heard slightly stronger comments on Wagner tho...
Replace them if they look worn. Compare the lining from the top and bottom of the shoe and make a judgement call.

Before the rebuild (hopefully in the driveway), use water to wash away the brake dust. Use a spray on cleaner like 409 to clean it all up. Let it dry or use compr air or a leaf blower to force dry it. Never use air on the brake dust - you do not want to breathe it.

Thanks for the accurate and trustfull information as usual Rob always appreciate it.

Instead of 409 can't I just use auto brake cleaner??? So if drums look OK don't bother with them? Reason I ask is im usually a one a done guy figure while I replace shoes why not do the drums??? Can new drums be a bad thing???
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:45 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Brake cleaner will work fine, but so will water or 409, it's your money.

New drums that meet oem standard are never a bad thing but if you replace them when there is no need it's more money with no benefit for your brakes.

X2 on checking everything, anything you can see while the wheels are off, including the e-brake is worth a look.

Roger.
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Brake cleaner will work fine, but so will water or 409, it's your money.

New drums that meet oem standard are never a bad thing but if you replace them when there is no need it's more money with no benefit for your brakes.

X2 on checking everything, anything you can see while the wheels are off, including the e-brake is worth a look.

Roger.
The drums eventually get worn and need replacement anyways right??? Just thought I'd take care of all of it at the same time.
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:42 AM

The drums will last a long time. If you can pull the drums off easily and there is not a significant lip towards the outside, then I bet you could reuse them. If the car had stopped fine and there are no deep grooves in the drums, do not even have them turned.
The pads are designed to take the wear, so the metal drums often last the life of the car, unless the owners had them turned very often.
Do you have an accurate way to measure the inside of the drums? There is a "discard" measurement stamped on the outside. If not outside of that, reuse them and save your $$.
The new chinesium drums may not even last as long as the old ones anyway, so new isn't always better.
My Ford wears its original drums, as well as Lady, both with over 150k miles. All drums still in spec!

Use 409 and water and toothbrushes to wash it all up before disassembly. Brake cleaner is good for a final cleaning (what 409 wont get off) and for cleaning the new shoes and the drums before final assembly.
Old December 29th, 2011, 01:59 PM

The drums will last a long time. If you can pull the drums off easily and there is not a significant lip towards the outside, then I bet you could reuse them. If the car had stopped fine and there are no deep grooves in the drums, do not even have them turned.
The pads are designed to take the wear, so the metal drums often last the life of the car, unless the owners had them turned very often.
Do you have an accurate way to measure the inside of the drums? There is a "discard" measurement stamped on the outside. If not outside of that, reuse them and save your $$.
The new chinesium drums may not even last as long as the old ones anyway, so new isn't always better.
My Ford wears its original drums, as well as Lady, both with over 150k miles. All drums still in spec!

Use 409 and water and toothbrushes to wash it all up before disassembly. Brake cleaner is good for a final cleaning (what 409 wont get off) and for cleaning the new shoes and the drums before final assembly.

Thanks for saving me $$$$ had no idea OEM drums could last that long and mine look fine so im just going to replace the shoes with wagners like stated above.

Moving to the front of the brakes what types and brands of pads have you guys used???? always looking for low dust but still having great performance.
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Just curious what determines whether or not your car comes equipped with 9.5 or 11 drums???
Old December 29th, 2011, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaDevil88
Just curious what determines whether or not your car comes equipped with 9.5 or 11 drums???
11" could have been available with HD brakes for either wagons, limos, hearses or other commercial bodies.
Did you find out what size yours are?
Old December 30th, 2011, 09:50 AM

11" could have been available with HD brakes for either wagons, limos, hearses or other commercial bodies.
Did you find out what size yours are?
Yes I have the 9.5 brakes was just curious what applications came with the upgraded 11 drums.

Any feedback on front pad choice?
Old December 30th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by DeltaDevil88
Yes I have the 9.5 brakes was just curious what applications came with the upgraded 11 drums.

Any feedback on front pad choice?
Your 85 Delta uses similar parts to my old 83 Regency Brougham. It had the oversize 11" rear drums, and larger front discs and different bolt pattern. When I redid my brakes I used Raybestos all the way. They were less expensive than going GM, but more expensive than some of the other suppliers. After reading through some of the earlier posts, if you are looking to save money go with cheaper components. They will probably work just as well.

X2 on what everyone says about the brake dust. I usually just blast it out with brake fluid. I let it drip down onto a wad of shop cloth or cardboard so it's easy to clean afterwards. Problem with brake clean is that it usually dries so darn fast you don't have much time to get in there with a toothbrush while it's wet. I don't use 409 anymore because of the harsh chemical smell. Instead I use orange ZEP citrus degreaser cleaner. It's water soluble too and enviro friendly. Very effective stuff IMO.
Old December 30th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Damnit I meant 11 drums thanks for the clarification and verification on the part Allan