4 Wheel Disc Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2016 | 08:50 PM

4 Wheel Disc Brake Conversion

Quesgtion 1:
Is it possible to convert a 70 Cutlass with four corner power drum brakes to four corner disc brakes using same era parts from donor cars? Chevelle, Malibu, Monte Carlo, El Camino, Skylark, GS, LeMans, Tempest, GTO, Grand Prix?

Question 2:
If I can't take parts from these A body GM cars for 4 corner discs, can I take front disc set up off ANY of these for front wheel disc brakes on my 70 Cutlass?

Question 3:
What do I have to do to convert my power brakes to manual brakes? Manual Disc brakes? Disc font and Drum rear brakes? Concerned about vacuum from new 455 installing with heavy cam?

Question 4:
And while we are at it, and I know its the wrong forum for the question, what is the horsepower gain from loosing the power steering in favor of manual steering? Is this bad move from handling point of view?

Thank you.
Old January 20th, 2016 | 10:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by David DeCan
Quesgtion 1:
Is it possible to convert a 70 Cutlass with four corner power drum brakes to four corner disc brakes using same era parts from donor cars? Chevelle, Malibu, Monte Carlo, El Camino, Skylark, GS, LeMans, Tempest, GTO, Grand Prix?

Question 2:
If I can't take parts from these A body GM cars for 4 corner discs, can I take front disc set up off ANY of these for front wheel disc brakes on my 70 Cutlass?
None of those cars ever came with rear disc brakes. Front disks were an option. Reproductions of the factory front discs are readily available. All of them use interchangeable front spindles, so the brakes are a bolt-on. Aftermarket or an adaptation of brakes from a newer car are your only rear options.

Question 3:
What do I have to do to convert my power brakes to manual brakes? Manual Disc brakes? Disc font and Drum rear brakes? Concerned about vacuum from new 455 installing with heavy cam?
Remove the M/C and power booster. Replace with a manual brake M/C. This was a factory option. You will need to source the correct pushrod, boot, and retainer for the manual M/C.

Question 4:
And while we are at it, and I know its the wrong forum for the question, what is the horsepower gain from loosing the power steering in favor of manual steering? Is this bad move from handling point of view?

Thank you.
The HP loss depends on the amount of steering angle. There's little power loss if you are driving straight ahead, like on a drag strip.
Old January 21st, 2016 | 05:11 AM

Thank you Joe.

Any additional thoughts from anybody on the drivability of the car are appreciated. Does it become like driving a Mac truck? Not so concerned with parallel parking, but with in town and on the freeway driving. Is it going to become a bear to drive with manual brakes and manual steering? Thx.
Old February 19th, 2016 | 09:13 AM

If I convert a 4 wheel power drum brake system to 4 wheel manual drum brake system on a 70 Cutlass do I need to change the MC?

If I am reading all these posts correctly all I have to do is remove the power booster and change to the top pivot point on the pedal. Yes/No?
Old February 19th, 2016 | 09:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by David DeCan
If I convert a 4 wheel power drum brake system to 4 wheel manual drum brake system on a 70 Cutlass do I need to change the MC?

If I am reading all these posts correctly all I have to do is remove the power booster and change to the top pivot point on the pedal. Yes/No?
I would need to check the M/C specs in the CSM (which is at home right now). Typically, a manual brake master cylinder will use a slightly smaller bore to increase PSI for a given pedal pressure, but I believe the Cutlass line used the same 1" bore for both power and manual drums. The other issue is the need for a pushrod, retainer, and boot on the manual M/C. Inline Tube, among others, sells these.