Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

taillight to bumper rubber filler

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Tiger69

taillight to bumper rubber filler

I am putting a 1965 Olds 98 4 door hardtop back together after a frame-off and I am trying to find something to use as the rubber filler piece that attaches to the taillight housings between the housing and the rear bumper. Original was grey. I would settle for black at this point. I am ordering another type from Steele Rubber and if it works it will be black. Anyone succeed with this issue? Thank you for any input. If you have done 98's, you have to accept lots of time looking for parts. Body and mechanical done but interior still out. I will share some pics when I ever get done. I acquired a 65 98 2 door hardtop along the way for parts, but the car is solid, runs and drives, so I am saving that one...I think.
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:53 AM

Tiger, my 71 98 has similar rubber bumper fillers. The originals were falling apart when I had my bumpers rechromed. I've never found them reproduced. Interestingly, you can buy plastic or fiberglass bumper fillers for later Oldsmobiles.

I tried making my own bumper fillers by cutting a rubber floor mat into strips. The rubber floor mat was the appropriate material for the bumper fillers; unfortunatley, I could never get it to work correctly. I bought the floor mat at Sam's Club. Maybe you will have better luck than me. Good luck.
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Tiger69

Thanks for the reply. I think these rubber pieces were there to minimize exhaust fumes coming up from behind the bumper, at least that is what an old-timer mechanic around here told me from his rocking chair. It won't be the end of the world if I leave them off but I would like to reset that rear bumper one time as it is a beast, and I hate to concede the part cannot be found or made.
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:48 AM

I'm driving my Olds without the bumper fillers. It seems logical that they would block some of the exhaust fumes.

The bumper fillers I manufactured didn't work because they didn't fit properly between the bumper and the car. Plus, I couldn't find a way to secure them to the car or bumper.